Sunday, July 24, 2011

Frenchy Memo Boards {Or A Custom Frame Mistake Is My Gain}

DSC02752_2208

Sometime ago, I shared that I picked up these two frames at Michaels {from the clearance section} just as you see them.  No backing, no glass.

DSC02720_2177

For $8.00 a piece I knew that I could come up with something at some point to use them for. 

DSC02724_2181

Finally, I have!  With the stash of fabric that I have here, I figured something that incorporated fabric would be a good idea.   I really like them “as is” with their brushed silver/nickel look, so I didn’t bother to paint them.

DSC02721_2178

DSC02722_2179

I looked through my fabric to see what I had and decided on these two. 

DSC02727_2184

DSC02728_2185

When you use writing with text or numbers, you need to decide ahead of time how you are going to want to hang the frame.  You have more flexibility with a solid, stripe or geometric and can change your mind once you are done.   For the smaller frame, I decided to go vertical and for the larger frame {to show off more of the large print} I decided to go horizontally.

This project used the frames, fabric, foam board {from a craft store or office supply store} and staples.  You could probably use hot glue instead of staples for securing the fabric to the foam board.  When the main part is done, some embellishments if you want to dress it up.  I had everything on hand already so I didn’t have to buy anything.

DSC02731_2187

Here it is with the fabric attached to the board and snugly fitted in the frame.

DSC02732_2188

I used some flat trim which I already had and just did an “X” for holding papers, pictures, etc.  I stapled the trim {or you could use ribbon} to the back side of each corner.  I pulled tight before stapling to the opposite side.

DSC02736_2192

To add a little bling and some interest, I cut off the back of a decorative button and hot glued that to the middle where the “X” meets.  Isn’t that button pretty?

DSC02744_2200

The second {larger frame} got a little embellishment with some brown ribbon and three buttons ~ one on each end and one in the middle.  Here I’ve laid it out to see if I like the way it looks.  It looks a little off in this picture but it’s laying on the floor.

DSC02746_2202

As luck would have it, my hubby recently bought chicken wire and knowing he was done with his project, I cut some for my own. I got the idea for adding the chicken wire from Dee at A Lapin Life.

DSC02757_2213

Once I got the okay from daughter {because I knew she was going to want one} I put everything in place.  I didn’t think she’d like the chicken wire and that’s why I waited, but she did like it.

DSC02753_2209

I just want to acknowledge the beautiful tags I’ve now used twice as props for project pictures.  These  tags came from Creative Visions on etsy.  She makes really beautiful tags and after reading about her on Sissie’s blog, I ordered several different styles.

DSC02756_2212

Linking up with

Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On  The Porch

Tuesdays Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style

Open House Party at No Minimalist Here

Sizzle Into Summer at DIY by Design

Textile Party at Freckled Laundry

Inspiration Friday At  The Picket Fence

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous

Kathy

47 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
These are absolutely darling! I love them both so much. You really lucked out with the frames.
I love the button on the first one and the tags on the second one. She does make the prettiest tags.

Thanks for the mention.

hugs
Sissie

DIYbyDesign said...

Absolutely beautiful. Very creative. I love that fabric too. Great finds. It pays to check out the clearance section.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

They turned out fabulous . I love them both. Hugs, Marty

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

They look great! I have been wanting to make a frame with chicken wire for awhile now. Just waiting on the finding the right frame!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Kathy, Love the fabric and the chicken wire. These are both adorable! I appreciate you joining the Open House party. Have a great week.
xo,
Sherry

Barbara Jean said...

Kathy
Love the frames with fabric, especially the chicken wire one.

blessings
barbara jean

Red Door Home said...

These are two great projects! I remember you finding these great frames. Love the little button embellishment on the first one.

Okio B Designs said...

Beautiful! They look like they could have come from Ballard Designs!

J

Homeroad said...

Gorgeous! I love how they go together but they aren't the same!
Great project!
Susan @ homeroad.net

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Kathy!

Your so sweet to mention me. I love your new frames. The chicken wire with the bling is something I would do. :-) I adore the fabrics. The tags are perfect! ✓

Thanks for being so sweet and adding me in your post.

Much love,
Dee

Blondie's Journal said...

These are so neat, Kathy! And it looks like a fun project. I have some frames, too so I just need the foam backing. Thanks for the directions!

XO,
Jane

Anonymous said...

Awesome project! Love the frenchie theme...it makes my creative heart go pitter patter!

Drop by to peek at my frenchie goodies today too!

Ciao Bella!
CREATIVE CARMELINA

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Hey, Kathy. These are really pretty. I'm working on a project that is very similar to your idea. It's from a frame we used at the wedding with the chicken wire. I really like the way your's turned out!

fran said...

Love the chicken wire. These are great!

Debbiedoos said...

Hi Kathy! Those are so cute. I love the chicken wire one. Great thinking outside the box!

Gail said...

Oh Kathy, they turned out great! I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing to some frames I had for my daughter's townhouse. She needs some cheap artwork.

Enjoy your day,
Gail

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

What a great idea! These turned out wonderfully! :)

KimMalk said...

I love your embellishments, Kathy! These turned out so great, you had such great elements to work with and put them together beautifully. Hugs, Kim

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Kathy, your memo boards are wonderful! Wow, you could so make these to sell...they would be huge hit! Those frames were an awesome deal, too! Thanks for showing us how you created these!

GwendolynKay said...

Love these projects! What a bargain for the frames.

Pamela said...

Kathy these are wonderful and you just gave me inspiration for something I am working on!:)

Amy Chalmers said...

Kathy these are both fantastic! I love the chicken wire the most! Maybe I can do one of these for my office!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Gorgeous! The prettiest memo boards I've ever seen!

Stitchfork said...

Definitely your gain! I use memo boards a lot, but mine don't have your added touch!
xo Cathy

Unknown said...

wonderful...manifique ( french ???) lol I really like the materials

Honey at 2805 said...

The fabric and chicken wire - oh-so French!

Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!! If there are 500 entries, they will increase the Gift Card to $100.

Janette - The2Seasons said...

The chicken wire is such a clever addition.

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

These are adorable...love the fabric choices and the chicken wire is a cool idea....I am now kicking myself because I just walked by a bunch of frames in the 90% off sale section at Hobby LobbY!

DIYbyDesign said...

I really love this project. Thanks for sharing at my Sizzle into Summer party.

Unknown said...

Kathy, what is so fun about a visit to your blog is the discovery of such different styles fitting together wonderfully. I loved the tour of items NOT to be painted in your home. I would never have guessed for there to be a single piece of oak in your home, and there it was! My daughter is nagging me to begin her dresser make-over - I am so nervous! She is desperate for any piece of furniture at all; so.... next paycheck....
To be continued.... Elizabeth

Lisa said...

Love it - great way to have a high end look on a budget. And I am a fan of french anything.
Hugs,
Lisa

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

They turned out so great. I love that fabric!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great piece! The chicken wire is awesome! This is a great idea!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Just beautiful! Those fabrics are stunning and I really love the one with the chicken wire -- the contrast between textures really makes it a great piece!

Debra@CommonGround said...

Wow Kathy, I love these! the chicken wire is a project I want to try, but my garage has so much stuff in it, I can't get to the roll of it! time for another clean out! xoxo Debra

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kathy, I wanted to drop by again after you posted to my party and say Thank You!
xo,
Sherry

The French Hutch said...

I love these. With the great price on the frames and using your own fabric you have two gorgeous pieces of french art costing so little. I like how you used the size of the print matched to the size of the frames. I'm your newest follower, I'm visiting over from Open House.

~Emily
The French Hutch

Miss Kitty said...

SUCH great projects! I would have never thought to do the chicken wire on the frame insert...genius AND classy-looking.

Room to Inspire said...

Kathy these are fabulous! I love the fabric - perfect, just perfect.

Chelsea

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Kathy....I love them! The fabric you used is fabulous and I think that they would fit in almost any room! These would also work great as birthday gifts for girlfriends too! Angie xo

Journal Swag said...

Absolutely fabulous! Love them!

Sheila

Kristin said...

I love the memo board! I've been dying to do one myself, but haven't made it there yet. Thanks for the inspiration!

At The Picket Fence said...

So cute and clever! I love that you found those frames for that price and I adore your fabric! So glad your daughter approved the chicken wire, I think it really "makes" the board! Thank you for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday!

Heather

Bunny Jean said...

What a chic was to display things. The chicken wire is a favorite of mine.

I have some lampshades covered in different script fabrics and love then.

xoxo Bunny Jean

Tattered Butterfly Studio said...

Kathy, Thanks for your comments about my hutch. I love what you did with fabric and chicken wire! Beautiful!

Unknown said...

I love these, especially the chicken wire detail. Thank you for linking with Air Your Laundry Friday! xo Jami

JP said...

There it is and a very nice creation indeed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...