Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Farmhouse Glam

I picked up a can of Old White {when I was at the Annie Sloan Workshop I went to} for the roadside dresser makeover.  My daughter is going to take this piece and she liked how the Old White looked on my first dresser makeover {that was also a roadside rescue}.  After cleaning the dresser up, she’s ready and waiting!

DSC09201_8267

DSC09202_8268

Keeping in mind some of the tips I got at the workshop, I started painting away.  I painted parts of the inside as well and I have another idea for finishing the rest of the inside off.

DSC09204_8270

One coat and it is already looking better!

DSC09205_8271

SONY DSC

After two coats I decided to add a little something by using some of the Provence sample I had.  Using a small artist brush, and just the paint that was in the lid of the sample pot, I filled in the grooved areas on the dresser.

DSC09255_8302

DSC09260_8307

DSC09261_8308

I used the clear wax, then the dark wax until I liked the way it looked.  {Both Annie Sloan waxes}.

SONY DSC

To add some interest to the detailing I brought out my Rub n Buff to try and do that gilding look.  I applied it to the various detailed areas.

DSC09380_8417

I measured for my baskets and went to see what I could find on sale at Michael’s.  They usually have a nice selection of baskets.  I liked the handles on these; I could see tags hanging off these very prettily.

SONY DSC

For the inside of the dresser, I found some scrapbook paper that I had my daughter pick out and I cut it to fit the inside sections.

DSC09316_8376

I Mod Podged that to the inside, this way when/if the baskets are out it will still look pretty.

SONY DSC

I just had to play around with it before it heads over to my daughter’s house!  Picture overload ahead!  I thought my pedestal wire cloche color went great with the Provence touches I added.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I stole some of the Fall touches I put out this weekend from around the house for some props.

DSC09390_8427

SONY DSC

I could see a piece like this being used in a kitchen, maybe with some shelves over it, held up by scrolly looking brackets.

SONY DSC

I had to throw one of my Christmas tea towels into the pictures.  They are not in my Etsy yet; I made some up for the Holiday Market.

DSC09399_8436

Here’s  the before and after one more time.

DSC09201_8267

DSC09391_8428

I want to thank Judy over at DIY by Design for my post title.  She did a post about Home Goods’ new style line and a little style personality test she took.  Her result was “Farmhouse Glam” and I couldn’t help thinking that the name suited the look of this dresser with the baskets.

Linking up to

Fall Into Fall at DIY by Design

Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

 

46 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Kathy, you did a beautiful job on the dresser! I love all the detail and the baskets look just perfect in it!

I am really admiring the Christmas tea towel...will you have some in your etsy shop soon?

Xo,
Jane

HI! I'm Tabitha said...

thats so cool.. you should come to my house ..i have tons of furniture in need of a kathy makeover...hugs

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Kathy that looks fabulous! Love how you added the scrapbook paper to the inside! Your daughter is going to love it!

Michele Smith said...

Kathy what a great makeover! I love it ;)

DIYbyDesign said...

That came out amazing. I love it with the wire cloches. I'm glad you used the title...you're so right...it fits the piece perfectly. I have to keep on the lookout for something similar. I would love to recreate this look for my kitchen. I will be pinning this one.

Okio B Designs said...

That looks fantastic! Love the baskets and the scrapbook paper. N is going to be thrilled!!!!!

Jeanine

Debby said...

It looks so nice. Thought you were tired of painting, hah. I think I would be tempted to keep it.

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

Just beautiful~~amazing that you were able to put the paper on the inside like that, I would have had mod podge up to my elbows, the paper in wads, and I would have been saying very unladylike things!! Kudos for a lovely project.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That turned out great! Love the decoupage on the inside!

Gail said...

Kathy, that looks beautiful! I love it as I am sure your daughter will too. Your playing around with different vignettes all looked beautiful. You've given your daughter a lot of wonderful ideas. Now I'm on the hunt for a dresser make-over just like yours!! Hope you are having a wonderful day, Gail

Sue said...

Looks good! Whoever tossed it out would be very jealous.... I want to buy some of that gilding wax we used. The rub n buff added just the right touch for the glam. :-)

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I love this! Great find! It looks so much better! I love the pretty French legs and baskets!

NanaDiana said...

Kathy - You did a wonderful job on that piece- It looks wonderful- xo Diana

Carolyn said...

Hi Kathy,
You did an amazing job on the dresser!I even love the inside now.
Your daughter is going to love it.

Carolyn

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice job, Kathy. The scrapbook paper was the perfect finishing touch.

This N That said...

WOW..It's beautiful all by itself..What a great job...nice piece..

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Great makeover! Love the baskets!

Ahhh, I am definitely farmhouse, but not glam, I am rustic, the chippier the better!

xoxo

At The Picket Fence said...

What a beautiful makeover Kathy!! It looks so lovely and the way you styled it (each way!) was fantastic. :-) Well done!
Vanessa

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

Fabulous transformation! And I love the use of baskets and decoupaging the inside with scrapbook paper!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Kathy,

To take something ready and waiting for the landfill and to make it into something so amazing -just wow.

Congratulations, truly, you amaze me.

Eclectically Vintage said...

Definitely glam - love the curvy lines, the painted detail and the scrapbook lining!
Kelly

chateau chic said...

I love the look of dressers or buffets without their drawers or doors. The baskets are perfect for storage. Great piece!
Mary Alice

Honey at 2805 said...

You have turned this piece into a real beauty!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Definitely beautiful! You did an amazing job! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from DIY by Design. Would love if if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-14.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Absolutely lovely, Kathy! I especially like your attention to detail by papering the inside.

Rooms by Ann said...

Kathy, this piece turned out so beautiful. I love it. I so want ro try chalk paint. I like the use of the baskets.

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous transformation - the finish is just out of this world!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That's a beautiful piece! I just read on another blog that Sue at a workshop at her home - sounded like fun!

xinex said...

Wow! It's beautifully done, Kathy, and so functional now...Christine

Michele said...

That turned out so pretty! I love the detail you put in the grooves.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

It looks great Kathy! I have a very similar dresser sitting in our spare room, waiting for me to decide what to do. I may have to copycat this one! What a clever transformation.
xo, Andrea

Raquel said...

Love the way the dresser came out! Found your blog today - love it!

sheerserendipity said...

I love the way the dresser turned out! Great idea to put the baskets inside and mod podging with scrapbook papers!

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Oh Kathy! It looks amazing! Your daughter is so very lucky! I love that it is not only pretty but functional as well! Angei xo

Little Miss Maggie said...

I love old white. It's the perfect white for styling a vintage piece. Your profect came out great, and the baskets and the paper inside are the perfect finishing touches.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Hey Kathy...great roadside find...you certainly turned it into Farmhouse Glam!...I took the test and I am "Classic with a Traveler edge"....and they are pretty right on...A fun test to take...What was your style?

Debbiedoos said...

This is awesome Kathy. I love the open concept. You really transformed this piece into loveliness!

melissa @ daisymaebelle.com said...

Kathy, What a great rescue! I love the baskets in place of the drawers. Oh how I wish I could attend an Annie Sloan workshop. I need to find one of those in my area! Life to the full, Melissa

Lindsay @ whimsy.girl said...

What an awesome idea! It looks great! I am over from Savvy Southern's link party....glad I found you, great blog!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Kathy,

The dresser looks amazing!!! I love all your fall decor too.

Dee

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

So darling!! I love how you made this over!! Sharing on facebook~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Kathy, That dresser is adorable! I so love the look of the baskets instead of drawers. The paint colors are so pretty! You decorating styel is always so inspiring to me. Love, love, love! Also, the kitchen and the fall decor both look great. ~ Jamie

Unknown said...

Love the dresser and the baskets ; o )

Andrea said...

beautiful! love how you lined it, and the decorative paint touches are perfect.

Musings From A French Cottage said...

Love, love, love it! I really like the idea of this in the kitchen with shelves above it. It would be the perfect piece for my existing coffee station. Great idea!

xo,
Kathleen

Jessa Scott said...

Very nice Kathy! I really like how you used the scrapbook paper. Such a great way to finish the inside since the drawers aren't there. I will give this a try someday. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...