Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Girly Girl Room

Finally, I got all my pictures together to show you the transformation of my granddaughter’s bedroom, from this

bedroom.trulia

boy’s room {picture from when the house was on the market}, to what it looks like now.  I’ve added in some “before” pictures along the way, so you can see the differences. A list of resources and prices are at the end of this post.

DSC06325_5422

The plug-in chandelier above was the biggest splurge and was my gift since the lighting in this room is recessed.  Every girl needs some bling, even if she is only 20 months old!  I added a cream colored cord cover to the chain. This chandelier can be hardwired as well and I left those pieces with my daughter in the event they ever decide to go that route with it.

SONY DSC

The tease I gave you from my Tuesday Morning purchase was a cream chenille ruffled throw, which became the coverlet for the crib.  I was going to add a canopy of some sort over the crib, but since my granddaughter likes to hide behind and pull on drapes, I didn’t think it would be safe to do right now. We’ll keep that on the back burner until she outgrows that!  Here’s a more recent “before”:

DSC05401_4550

After:

SONY DSC

Rods were added as close to the ceiling as possible and white tablecloths were attached to rings for the window treatments.  These worked great as they were 70 inches wide and 120 inches long.

SONY DSC

The mirror over the dresser is the mirror that came with my Craig’s List dresser find from a few months ago and I wasn’t using it.  

SONY DSC

To dress up the dresser a little bit {until it is either painted or replaced}, I made a ruffled runner for the top using fabric I had on hand.  Here’s another before picture.

DSC05402_4551

And this area after:

SONY DSC

We hung existing wall décor and moved the existing furniture around.  I used the white basket that I had added a ruffle to, as well as this blue pedestal that I had.

SONY DSC

The Goodwill shelf I got last year, fixed up and painted for the Goodwill china tea sets finds a home here also. Once we decide where we want to place that on the wall, I will show you that. I added some of her existing accessories, as well as some new little finds {like these teacup and saucer pots}. 

DSC05403_4552

SONY DSC                       SONY DSC

DSC06334_5431

DSC06340_5434

And it all adds up to this!

SONY DSC

Crib wall before.

DSC05404_4553

DSC06312_5412

SONY DSC

A bedroom fit for a princess!

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

DSC05405_4554

SONY DSC

Even with the blue shades and carpet, I have a hard time remembering what this bedroom looked like in its before state!   Here’s a side by side comparison.

bedroom.truliaSONY DSC

The paint alone created a major difference in this room.  Never underestimate the power of paint!  This room took a bit longer than I anticipated because we had to get me in the house and upstairs without the baby seeing me. It was a whole covert operation to get this room completed, but it was well worth it!

Cost Breakdown & Resources:

Chandelier ~ approximately $110.00 ~ from Lamps Plus Pro;

Cream Cord Cover ~ $.61 Lowe’s {12 foot};

Ruffled chenille throw for crib ~ $39.99  ~ Tuesday Morning;

SW 7118 French Vanilla ~ Lowe’s Valspar color match ~ 2 gallons approximately $60.00;

Mirror over dresser from my Craig’s List dresser ~ Free;

Window Hardware ~ $80.00 ~ Lowe’s ~ 2 rods and 2 packs rings;

Window Treatments ~ $19.99 each ~ two white tablecloths – Target ~ 70 x 102;

Teacup/saucer pots and little flowers ~ $4.00 ~ Christmas Tree Shop;

Blue frame on dresser ~ $.78 ~ Christmas Tree Shop;

Ruffled runner for dresser top ~ Free {materials on hand}.

Total for Bedroom Makeover: $335.36.

My daughter had all of the furniture already so that is always a big savings, but we were able to add the finishing touches to this room without breaking the budget.  Best client I ever had!

Linking up with

Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch

Show Off Your Cottage Monday at The House In The Roses

Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

Spring Into Spring at DIY by Design

Open House Party at No Minimalist Here

Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Country

45 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

Very girly and feminine! Lovely job.
Brenda

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Oh my goodness Kathy! What an adorable room for a little girl! It is so sweet & pretty...you did a fabulous job! The colour is wonderful....and the best thing about this room is that it will grow with her as the crib will change to a bed...everything else can stay! Just lovely! Angie xo

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Great job Kathy! You created such a beautiful space for your granddaughter! That chandy is a beauty!

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Wow! What a beautiful job you did in your granddaughter's room! I loved everything! The paint color, the chandelier, the bed ruffle, again, just everything! She must love it and your daughter must be so happy with it! ~ Jamie

Ruby Jean said...

Oh this room is so VERY lovely. The before and after is Amazing!! I Love all the girly touches... I also love how it is something she can grow into and not out of... :)

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh Kathy that is so remarkable!

You did a fabulous job- and wow totally frugal doing it, too!

It is so pretty - I can scarcely believe that it is the same room!

Well done, it is lovely. A room for you all to love.

Thanks for sharing!

NanaDiana said...

Kathy-You did a marvelous job with that room. You would never know it was the sane room. From blue-on-blue to Sweet Fu-Fu! I love it all. It is just perfect for a little princess~ xo Diana

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love so many things about this room--love the lamp, love the chandelier..and that tulle table cover looks heavenly! Thanks for sharing this adorable room:)

Debbiedoos said...

What a huge difference Kathy. Look awesome! Your granddaughter must love it.

chateau chic said...

Oooh, so sweet and definitely girly! Definitely a room fit for a princess.
Mary Alice

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

What a SWEET room!!!! Every little girl's dream!!! We have the same chandy :)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I love it! You did an amazing job!I love the skirted table, the ruffled throw and the chandelier! It looks like a room for a princess! I love the blue pedestal too! It's gorgeous!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

It looks so sweet now...She is going to love it!

Unknown said...

What a sweet room! Love the chandy.
XO Cindy

Karena said...

Kathy such a wonderful makeover!! I know your daughter and granddaughter are thrilled!!

I love some of your ideas and am sure will use them!!

I hope you will come and see the feature I have on an amazing sculptor.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
The 2012 Artist Series

Karena said...

Oh yes that chandelier; perfect!!
K

Gail said...

WOW Kathy, you did an awesome job!! You didn't miss a thing transforming this room fit for a little princess. It's absolutely adorable. Hope you have a wonderful day, Gail

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
This is so pretty and it touches my heart! You are such a wonderful Grandmother to do this for your precious Grandaughter and daughter. She will always remember her very first room and the love that went into creating it.

The transformation is amazing and I love seeing how you put all of the elements together.

hugs
Sissie

Okio B Designs said...

WOW! I love it! I can't believe the before and then your afters. Of course, my little guy would have loved the Spongebob comforter in the before pic - ha! It looks very sweet and so perfect for a little girl!

J

Design Esquire said...

Kathy, what a special room! You guys did a fantastic job!!

DIYbyDesign said...

You did an absolutely fantastic job. I love everything about it. It is so incredibly girly...awesome!!! The before and after transformation is almost unbelievable. You're so right...never underestimate the power of paint.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

What a transformation! It's just beautiful. What a lucky little girl!

Debra from Bungalow said...

It's so girly now and I adore that ruffled chenille throw! Is that tulle on the round table?

You can be proud of this thrifty transformation for your sweet g'daughter!

Blue Creek Home said...

How adorable! You have added so many sweet touches to the room. I think it is a perfect place for your little princess to sleep and play. A big princess could be happy there too!
Rhonda

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kathy, you are right...a room fit for a princess! You did a beautiful job.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Beautiful Kathy!! You know I LOVE that tulle table skirt! So feminine! The room looks fantastic! Love the colors!

Lou Cinda

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Kathy. This room turned out great! The wall color is yummy--peaceful but lively (how can that be?!), and I love the tiny rocking chair and the chenille throw (what a find!!). Great results for the little princess! ~Zuni

Debby said...

What an adorable room. You did a fantastic job. Your little granddaughter must love this room. A big change from the blue wavy room. Soooooo cute.

Kelly said...

How adorable! You did an amazing job transforming that room. I love all the white in there. The chandelier is a wonderful addition too. If I had a little girl, I'd use on in her room for sure! The mirror over her dresser looks like the one that I have in my powder room. It's not over the sink, but on the back wall. Mine is an antique and very heavy. I love it. I bet yours is the same.

thistlewoodfarm said...

That room is amazing! I love all the details and that sweet little rocker. ADORABLE!!!

Thanks for sharing.

blessings,
karianne

Heaven's Walk said...

So sweet, Kathy! Love that chandy by that gorgeous mirror! :) Great job!

xoxo laurie

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Kathy....IT'S GORGEOUS!!! What a beautiful transformation!!!! I just love it...and the blue carpet so compliments the sweet whites and pinks..like the sky would! Just beautiful girl ~ hugs and love, Dawn

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Kathy,

Your granddaughters room looks so super sweet. Alice in Wonderland Tea Party is every girls dream!

Dee

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I may have cost $335 but...It was priceless, what fun, I only have a boy maybe a granddaughter someday? A chandelier is mandatory in any princess room!

Carol

Deserae said...

Her room is absolutely darling!!! That ruffled chenille throw is so cute too! It's hard to believe it is the same room....everything is just adoarbale :o)
~Des

Cathy of Eyelash Growth said...

What a nice transformation! It looks nicer than before. I hope i have someone like you. Hmm. ♥

KimMalk said...

It is so pretty, I was anxiously awaiting your reveal. You really put a lot of sweet girly/romantic touches in the room. I'm sure your granddaughter will appreciate it as she gets older. Nice job, Kathy!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Wow what a transformation Kathy! It's such a beautiful girly girly room! It's just gorgeous!

DIYbyDesign said...

I'm so glad that you linked up this awesome post. I just love what you did with the room.

My Dream Canvas said...

Wow, this is gorgeous! I would love for you to drop by My Dream Canvas as well :-) I’m visiting from Wow Us Wednesdays. Really like your blog.

Ellie said...

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Kathy. I love what you did for your granddaughter's room! Wouldn't you and I have fun doing this together? I think we are two peas in a pod. Blessings,

Stacey said...

Great changes...very pretty!
I would love for you to come by and link up to my party! I would love to ahve you there!
Stacey of Embracing Change
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

Ivy and Elephants said...

Kathy, the room is fit for a princess! I love the ruffled throw and the sweet chandelier, never too early to start them off in luxury! A gorgeous room!
The party is open, hope you can join the fun!
Hugs,
Patti

Jennelise said...

What a dreamy room! I love the chandelier and the gauzy round table. So pretty!
Jennelise

DIYbyDesign said...

I think this room is so beautiful. I will be featuring this tonight at my Swing into Spring party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...