Friday, May 10, 2013

A Couple Of New Pillows

SONY DSC

Here are a couple of new pillows I made to try out in my booth.  I haven’t put any pillows in there yet, so we’ll see how these two do.  I thought maybe with Mother’s Day coming up they might sell.

SONY DSC

I did a Paris one with this great graphic I found on Pinterest.  I used the Ballard Design Document fabric for the back.

SONY DSC

The black flower is a pin I got at Joann’s a few months ago.  Notice the tag?  I’ll explain that in a minute.  The second pillow is one especially for Mom.

SONY DSC

I thought this was a sweet graphic and perfect for Mother’s Day.  I did the back on this one with a dark red and white toile that depicts a mother and child, among other images.

SONY DSC

This one also got a flower pin with a pretty doily I got in a recent swap.

SONY DSC

So, as to the tag.  That is the tag that came on the pillow insert.  Apparently, in Ohio, if you are selling upholstered or bedding type items {decorative pillows fall into this}, they have to have a tag on them saying that if they are second hand they have been sprayed with a product like Steri-Fab.  You have to be registered to spray it because then there is a tag you attach saying it’s been sprayed and your registration number.  If you are selling new, the only thing I was able to find out is that you have to send a sample of your filling to them to be tested {for a fee} and you have to register for $50.00 for the year.  I want to sell a couple of pillows!  I use all new materials when I make my pillows, so I decided to try making these with the pillow insert tag hanging out to see if that will satisfy the inspector when he comes around, to show that they are newly made.  We’ll see what happens. 

Linking up with:

The Creative HomeAcre Hop at A Cultivated Nest

26 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your pillows are gorgeous. It's weird that you have to show tags when you make a pillow. Interesting. Hugs, Marty

Okio B Designs said...

Oh dear god, they are just pillows! Love them both. Maybe they'll get bought before the pillow inspector comes lol!

Jeanine

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Now we have the "Pillow Police!" LOL!
Anyway, I love your pillows creations and the French image is my favorite.

hugs
Sissie

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Beautiful pillows Kathy!

Cynthia said...

It would never dawn on me about the tag...interesting. These pillows are beautiful love them all!

Cynthia

Celestina Marie said...

Gorgeous pillows Kathy. I so hope the tag satifies the inspector. It seems weird, but like Jeanine said, maybe they will sell quick.
Love the graphics you used.
Happy Mother's Day.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Anonymous said...

Kathy, these are wonderful! You are so talented and have such creative ideas! Hoe precious for Mother's Day- I love the "Mother" definition pillow!

Olive said...

They are beautiful Kathy. Government rules like that kill me and may kill business.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kathy I love those pillows...especially the "Mother" one...and sorry that you have to jump through hoops just to sell a pillow!!!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Oh...and Happy Mother's Day Kathy!!

Debbiedoos said...

Oh those are pretty Kathy! Hope they do well, which I think they will. That Mothers one is so pretty.

This N That said...

I love the pillows..The more the merrier..Happy Mothers Day..

Our Hopeful Home said...

Sounds like beds, since they have to have the tags on them when you buy them, too. I had not thought about it, now I'll have to reconsider if I want to sell pillows once I finally get my act together for some craft shows. Yours are lovely, esp. the Mother one. Happy Mother's Day!

DIYbyDesign said...

Your pillows are beautiful. I'm sure they will sell right away. What a crazy thing with the tag.

vivian said...

wow.. I never knew there were such rules.. thats craaazy! however, your pillows are gorgeous! I hope they sell quickly in your booth.
have a great weekend
xoxo
vivian

HI! I'm Tabitha said...

i love the paris pillows..they are fabulous

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Your pillows are beautiful--but it sounds like a lot of work to sell pillows where you are! Good luck!

Gail said...

OMGoodness, Kathy! I have never heard of that!! Your pillows are gorgeous and will sell quickly unless the pillow police asks you to remove them. Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day. Hugs, Gail

Art and Sand said...

Your pillows are wonderful.

How do you get the graphics onto the pillow? I do a lot of hand painting on pillows, but have never done graphics. In 27 days, I will be retired and will have all the time in the world to learn new things.

The Bashful Nest said...

Love these pillows. I believe that you just can't have enough pillows in your life and these would be beautiful to have around.

xoxo Michelle. thebashfulnest.blogspot.com

Victoria's Vintage Designs said...

Gorgeous, just love them!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Well my goodness - what a pain! I hope that works since it seems like an easy solution.

Those pillows are so pretty - I'd love anyone of them so I'm sure they'll sell. The mother one is so sweet and I love how you backed it with that mother and child toile.

Happy Mother's Day!

Little Miss Maggie said...

Great pillows, Kathy. I especially love the Paris one. These will sell for sure.

Unknown said...

Love your pillows, they are Beautiful! The pillow police, a great use of tax payer dollars! Now this is where they could use some cutbacks!

Lisa Lynn said...

Beautiful pillows! I wonder what genius came up with the tag rules ;-)
I hope your approach works!

Thanks for sharing on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you again today!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/05/the-creative-homeacre-hop-15.html

rkramadh said...

G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S pillows! I love the French one as well as Mother one. I hope you don't mind me asking what type of transfer method you used for graphics? TFS!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...