Thursday, February 13, 2014

Wood Box Makeover

SONY DSC

I’ve had this wood organizer in my craft room and I use it to hold threads and other sewing notions.  This picture is from one of my craft/sewing room tours from Where Bloggers Create.

SONY DSC

I’d been thinking about painting it for some time and when I saw an inspiration picture on Pinterest, I knew it was time.  The great thing is I have a lot of the scrapbook papers used in the inspiration makeover.  I was also able to use some scrap sheets for this project, so I didn’t have to buy anything to do this makeover.  Always a good thing!

{Filthy to Fancy} Organizer Makeover.  A dirty hardware organizer gets a fancy French makeover.

First I removed the drawers from the box and all the labels I had on the drawers. 

SONY DSC

The knobs came off and I painted the main portion with some white chalk paint I already had {CeCe Caldwell’s Vintage White}.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

While the first coat dried,  the fun came into play!  I laid out the papers I had chosen and cut them to fit.  

SONY DSC

I attached the papers to the drawer fronts with Mod Podge.  Once they dried I applied two coats to the tops.

SONY DSC

The paint on top is still a little wet in the picture above, but I just wanted to get it back together and in the craft/sewing room again.

SONY DSC

It’s like getting a new organizer without spending any money.  I love how it turned out!

SONY DSC

Here it is back in its spot in my craft/sewing room.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I’m glad I decided to do this!

Linking up with:

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

Inspire Me Tuesdays at A Stroll Thru Life

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

Winter Blues Wednesday at DIY by Design

 

28 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

The power is back on!!! That's so cute Kathy! I've been looking for one of those boxes for a while now. Ikea used to have them and last time I went they didn't carry it anymore and I looked at Michael's. Haven't tried HL yet. I think it's great for keep little odds and ends!

Okio B Designs said...

Ooooooh, it looks great now! Nice variety of paper and love it white!

Jeanine

Stacey said...

That looks fantastic! I've seen things like that in boutiques that cost a fortune.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love it, how fun and the papers are perfect. Hugs, Marty

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

It tuned out wonderful! I love the patterns of paper you chose. Perfection!

chateau chic said...

Your box is so cute, Kathy. You really made it shine with its makeover!
Mary Alice

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

This is just as cute as cute can be, Kathy!! I love it! ~Zuni

farmhouse-story said...

you picked a great mix of papers, kathy! love this!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Oh how pretty Kathy!...I really want to try doing this method!...and we are "great minds thinking alike" today as I posted about a wood box today too!!!
Stay warm and cozy...still snowing here!

Nancy said...

Kathy, this turned out sooo nice! I love it! I also love finding these type of Organizers to re~do at thrift stores. I have those white metal shelves in my studio too. Yep they are loaded down with Fabric as well. If I can ever get my Studio to a point of Photo ready I make take and share some pics.

Have a Wonderful Valentines Day!!

Huggs, Nancy

Vickie said...

What a great idea and I love how it looks now. You are too clever. This sets my mind rolling on what I've got that can be transformed! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

this turned out lovely love all you paper picks so cool

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, Just love your box of drawers makeover. The papers work so beautiful together. It looks fabulous on your shelf.
Hugs

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

I love how each of the draws are different Kathy. It's gorgeous paper! It's a beautiful way to be organized.

From the Old InkWell said...

Cute cute cute!!! You've added so much personality to your chest!! Love!

This N That said...

It's beautiful Kathy..I thought it was bigger until I saw it on the shelf..Great job..

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Very cute. The combination of papers looks great. I wish my craft/sewing room looked that organized!

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

It turned out wonderful, Kathy! I like it too when I don't have to buy anything for a makeover.

JP said...

Well, look how nice that turned out and it looks so great amongst all of your goodies stored in your craft room. Happy Valentine's Day!
JP

Little Miss Maggie said...

Kathy, that is adorable. I absolutely love it. I also love your inspiration piece.

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy, I love this idea!! I pinned it to my pinterest!
Faye @ theshabbycottagehome.blogspot.com

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

what a great way to update this adorable little chest! Love your choice of papers!

Unknown said...

what a lovely transformation! wow...well done!

Maria Elena said...

I love, this project! Looks beautiful. What a transformation!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Adorable, Kathy! I agree. It's so nice to get organized and make something new by just using what you have. You did a great job!

Tante Mali said...

Hi Dear,
great work. I love it!
Elisabeth

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This is such a fun idea, Kathy...and it totally transformed the piece!

Cristina Garay said...

I love the transformation you gave to this piece! The white and all those pretty prints, just fabulous! Now it fits so nicely with the other elements in your craft room.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...