Friday, September 24, 2010

It’s Hurricane Season!

My Dollar Tree finally {finally!} had the large glass vases to make the hurricanes and I picked up four this past weekend.  I probably should have got more, because last year I couldn’t find these at all.  I had to go with the next size down last year and, while they turned out nice, I really wanted to do the larger size.  You can read last year’s post here.  Even Dollar Tree knows they will go fast ~ they didn’t even bother to take them out of the box!

IMG_7937_4324For under $10.00 you can get a nice Fall decorative piece that will carry you through to Thanksgiving and beyond.   You will need one of the larger glass vases with a flat bottom ~ the main one has a slight flare to the top.  You will also need the vase the next size down {no flare}, also flat bottomed, and I checked it in the store to make sure it fit inside the larger one; one candlestick {the stand}; some Fall leaf picks; and glass adhesive. 

IMG_7939_4326

IMG_7942_4329IMG_7940_4327I had my glass adhesive so I don’t know if the dollar store carries it.  I definitely suggest glass adhesive as last year I had a problem with some of my pieces coming apart and I used three different adhesives that were mentioned as being used with this project.  I have since fixed all my pieces with glass adhesive and so far nothing has come apart. IMG_7938_4325

I washed all my pieces and follow the directions on your adhesive.  Mine mentions wiping the area to be glued down with nail polish remover, so each adhesive might have different instructions.  Once everything was clean and dry, I applied the adhesive to the candlestick and placed it in the center of the bottom of the larger glass vase.   This is your stand.  I left this to dry for a couple of hours.  Once dry, I put the other vase inside this and started to cut some leaves off my Fall leaf pick, varying the shape, size and color. 

IMG_7943_4330

IMG_7949_4335I started to put the leaves in between the main vase and the inserted glass vase.  To make it a little easier to get the leaves further down, I also cut one of the stems and used that to push the leaves down. 

IMG_7948_4334

IMG_7952_4336

IMG_7956_4339Once you’ve got that how you want it to look, put your pillar candle in the inserted vase.  Place it in the desired location in your home {I put two of these on my dining room table}, light and “ooh/ahh” over the beautiful job you did!

IMG_8102_4441

IMG_8103_4442

IMG_8105_4443

IMG_8109_4445

IMG_8120_4453

Once Thanksgiving is over, just take out the glass insert to easily remove your leaves.  Now you can add something decorative for Christmas or Hannukah!  Some fake snow or snowflake decorations will take you right through Winter.

IMG_8117_4451On a side note, and to give a little Etsy love, I got these great fabric pumpkins you see on my table from Becky at Junk to Joy.  I just love them!  Three of them came as a set and I also purchased a great looking set of tags from Becky as well.  This is a new Etsy shop, so I hope you will visit Becky and check out all her great things.  She is one of my new favorites!

Linked up to:

Fall Party at Tatertots and Jello

30 comments:

Blue Creek Home said...

Love it!
I am going to see if we have them here. There is so much you could do with these!

Rhonda

Sandra said...

Ok, i'm heading to the Dollar Tree stores here and hope I find these! What a great idea! I can picture making these to give away from Christmas as well! Thank you so much for this tip! Love'em!
Blessings,
Sandra

Sonny G said...

Kathy, you have so many beautiful and creative ideas.. This display is so pretty and appealing to the eye..

Leanne said...

Those turned out beautiful. I love them with the candles glowing. Have a great weekend.

Love the Decor! said...

How fun I will have to check out my local $store for these : )

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

How lovely, Kathy! I'll have to go back to the $ Store again, LOL

I have some fabric pumpkins that I purchased YEARS ago and I LOVE them!

xxoo

BECKY said...

Hi Kathy! Love what you did with these hurricanes! SOOO pretty when the candle is all lit up!! And thank you so much for the shout out! The pumpkins look great, too!!
So glad you are enjoying them!
You're a sweetie, and this is a real encouragement to me!
HUGS,
Becky

Blondie's Journal said...

These are SO cute, Kathy! What a great idea. I'll have to check out my dollar store for the right size vases.

I'm on my way to visit Becky. Thanks for the link! :-)

xoxo
Janie

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Those are so beautiful. I can't believe you got them at the Dollar Store. I have to get there quick. Love that look.
Thanks for sharing.
Brooke

the cape on the corner said...

when is my store going to get on the ball then! argh! yours are looking good!

JoAnne said...

Thanks for the great mini tutorial, and thanks for the visit!
xoJoAnne

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
These looks wonderful especially when the candle is lit and glowing in the dark.
What a great idea. I'm headin out to the dollar store tomorrow.

hugs
Sissie

One Cheap B*tch said...

That looks so pretty! I hope my dollar store gets them! Although, I'm still pretty candle-less thanks to two little boys!

Jeanine

Heather Henderson said...

those look fantastic!

Pam Kessler said...

I'll have to check out my Dollar Tree - that's a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kathy, I never thought of putting the smaller vase inside. These look wonderful..especially with the candles lit.
Hugs, Sherry

Anonymous said...

Kathy, this is gorgeous -- what beautiful colors. Great creativity!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

These turned out so pretty! I love hurricane lamps and these are beautiful!

CosmoGirl Carla said...

They look great, Kathy! Same with my DT and large hurricanes. I grabbed one early last year, then when the "faux" pedestal hurricanes starting popping up in blogland, the DT was out of the larger ones. I was at DT yesterday and they had maybe a dozen on the shelf. I snatched up one, but now after reading your post, I wished I'd grabbed more! I may have to make stop in there yet again this week!

Thanks for heads-up on the glue. I'll have to buy some of that too as my "joined" glass pieces are coming apart too!

Henna @ AboutCabinets Blog said...

wow, its so cool, i love the way you have done it, so simpl yet the result is soo unique and so stunning, lights up the decor

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I can't believe the dollar store sells those! They look like something PB would sell! I'm on my way now :) I love your fall decorating, so pretty!
XO
Kristin

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

That is so pretty. We don't have a Dollar Tree; but I'll be on the lookout at my local Dollar Stores. Thank you.

Becca Bertotti said...

Kathy, your DT hurricane creations are beautiful! I love seeing them illuminated ... so pretty! I might have to make a run for DT! Thanks for sharing ... and, thanks for your sweet note about my Fall kitchen decor! ~Becca~

Jane said...

HI Kathy,
This is a great project. A very sophisticated fall look. Dollar Tree will be out of these in no time flat!!
Jane

The Single Nester said...

Oh my gosh! What a sexy project! I have the elements to make this already (my local Dollar Tree doesn't stock such finery!). I wish I came up with it. So cozy!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Oh my goodness, Dollar Store? How beautiful, what a great idea.

Connie K said...

wow what a great idea !

katskraps4kids said...

Glass Adhesive???- Good to know & tfs!

I just adore your blog and I swanee I wish you lived closer cuz I would LOVE to hire you as our designer. My oldest daughter is gonna go to Converse College in SC for interior design tho, so hopefully , my house will be in good shape ...in a few years! =)

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

These are so great! I need to stop at Dollar Tree to see if we have them!! Love it! Aren't you the creative one!

Sandra said...

Kathy, I made a couple of these but was not lucky enough to find the smaller ones. I'm hoping to be lucky one day and find them! lol Anyway, I mentioned you on my post today. :)
http://mybellarose.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-table-with-fall-decor.html
Blessings,
Sandra

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...