Saturday, August 20, 2011

Easy Window Treatment ~ Repost

As I start to decide which window treatments are coming with me {just about all of them}, here’s a repost from February 26, 2010, about a window treatment I did for my living room.  I’ve included a current photo of the window to start it off.

DSC02982_2386

DSC02981_2385

~ REPOST ~

In redoing my living room I had gotten some new drapes from Ballard Designs {on sale $59.00 a panel}.   One of the treatments I removed from the window was cafe-style curtains that I used on the lower half of the windows.  These are very long windows and just perfect for people to look into from the street.

IMG_4644_2272

So, I’m not comfortable just leaving them open like this.  I still had some of this fabric from the ottoman I made here.  Plus, I kept the tension rods that I had originally used in this window. 

fabric.p.kaufman.aviarytoileebony

I had just enough, in fact, to use it at the windows as an under-treatment to the panels.  These are a 3-window unit.  Each window measures 24 inches wide.   I didn’t want to go the whole way down, so I measured about halfway down ~ 31 inches long.  {Pardon the glare and my filthy windows}.

IMG_4990_2495

I cut the fabric, adding a couple of inches all the way around for the seams.  I ironed down the seams on all four sides.  I then used my Stitch Witchery iron on hem tape to secure the seams.  I incorporated a sleeve for the tension rods in the top. 

IMG_4995_2499

Here’s what I got.

IMG_4998_2502

For the bottom, I decided to try something a little different.  I found some wrapping paper rolls and stole their cardboard roll.  These rolls just happened to fit the width of these windows {this makes it meant to be in my book!}. 

IMG_5019_2530

Starting at the bottom I rolled the fabric up using the cardboard roll.  I added black ribbon on both sides to tie it up and I can let it down if I so choose.   I need to get another roll of ribbon for the third window.  I did not secure the ribbon to the fabric; it is just laying on it and I moved the tied portion around to the other side.

IMG_5056_2522

IMG_5058_2524

You could do different variations with this basic make-up.  You could take the ribbon and just tie each side up {without the cardboard roll}.  You could also use pins or whatever else to do the faux roman shade look like I did here.  Or you could just leave it down, although I would probably add a beautiful decorative trim to the bottom edge to finish it off.  {I’ll bet a black and clear beaded trim would look great}!

My windows used about 1 1/2 yards of fabric {total}.  The fabric was $14.98 a yard from fabric.com and I originally purchased 3 yards.  Best $45.00 I’ve spent so far this year!  The tension rods and cardboard rolls were free, since I had them already, and the ribbon was $3.99 a roll.  {I have a coupon for 30% off ribbon that I can use on the third roll}.

DSC02985_2389

Now I don’t feel like I’m right out there in the open when I go into this room! 

Linking up to

Slipcover & Curtain Party at It’s So Very Cheri

Kathy

15 comments:

Amy Chalmers said...

Nice looking curtains Kathy! Love that fabric on the shades!

BECKY said...

What a cool idea! I would have never thought of doing that! You are just so creative!!

Love that fabric, too!
Have a wonderful weekend, gal!
Becky

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

I've been thinking of trying this for my master bathroom windows but it's still on the to-do list. Thank you for the reminder!!!

xxoo
Marsha

LuLu Kellogg said...

What a great idea Kathy! I am like you...I don't like feeling exposed!

The curtains are gorgeous!

LuLu~*xoxo

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

They look wonderful. I can't wait to see them all in your new home. Hugs, Marty

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Kathy, The curtains and shades are wonderful! I am so looking forward to following along as you decorate your new home.
xo,
Sherry

Blondie's Journal said...

I LOVE the fabric, Kathy! They are all going to look wonderful in your new home! :-)

XO,
Jane

Heathahlee said...

Oh, that toile! I love it! I have been wondering what in the world I was going to do with my bathroom window, and I think this answers my question. Easy peasy! : )

Karena said...

Beautiful windows, Kathy, and so creative. I need to get some stitch witchery! Now that is right up my alley!!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

These turned out great Kathy!
Privacy is important, right!?
I love the layering.
So wish I could sew like you!
xx
A

K&B by the Sea said...

That's a really creative window treatment. Great use for wrapping paper rolls!

Becca Bertotti said...

What a creative project, Kathy! Have always loved these ... the fact that you repurposed a wrapping paper roll is genious! Thanks for sharing again!

Pamela said...

I normally bring all of mine with me as well Kathy. I did though leave three my cream Pottery Barn panels at the last house because I figured I did not need them at the new house due to differ size windows and amount. Now I am wishing I would have brought them.

Always Nesting said...

I have 3 windows in a bay that would be perfect for this style!! Love all the details.

I'm just now finding all my favorite blogs and adding myself back in to follow after my winter exit. So glad you stopped by so that I could reconnect.

Recaptured Charm said...

The perfect added touch! Amazing creativity using the rolls. Beautifully done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...