Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tray To Office Sign

traytosign

This project was inspired by this sign below that I saw on Pinterest.  I finally managed to finish this project the day before Father’s Day, so this is my hubby’s Father’s Day gift!

Love the Office sign! Junk Chic Cottage: Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger

Source

I had been planning this project out when I received an email from CozyWallArt.com offering me a vinyl.  I decided that it would be a good idea to have the “Office” wording in vinyl.   I received it very quickly, which was much appreciated after the experience I had with a vinyl I ordered for another sign I had previously made.  You definitely want to check them out if you are looking for vinyl wall art.

 SONY DSC

I also wanted to incorporate an “arrow”, like in the inspiration picture, but decided to get a little more whimsical and use this pointing hand offered by The Graphics Fairy

The sign itself is a fun shaped tray that was on clearance at Hobby Lobby.  Originally $29.99 it was on sale for $6.00.  The size was right and I really liked the shape, so I felt it was worth getting to make over into a sign.   

SONY DSC

After removing the handles, I decided to paint it using Annie Sloan Coco and Old Ochre chalk paint.  I painted the insert with the Old Ochre and the frame portion with Coco.  Then I used clear and dark wax on it.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I added the vinyl lettering and then I applied the pointing hand using Transfer Artists Paper, which is an iron on paper that works on many surfaces.  

SONY DSC

Once that was done, I took a step back and felt it needed something else.  I decided to do my version of “shading” on the vinyl lettering.  I just used a brown Sharpie marker to outline the letters. 

SONY DSC

I attached a picture hanger to the back and there you have it ~ tray to Office sign!

SONY DSC

My husband uses the home office about 2 days per week, depending on his travel schedule.  This office is more functional than it is pretty, so I don’t really show it on the blog.  Here you will see wires, papers on a desk, and the trash can pulled out, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t try!

SONY DSC

 

Linking up with:

Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

Show and Share at Coastal Charm

Sizzle Into Summer at DIY by Design

Treasure Hunt Thurs. at From My Front Porch To Yours

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

 

20 comments:

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

so incredibly fantastic. I saw that tray and never imaged it redone so well. who would of imagined it could be so pretty.

Okio B Designs said...

Love this! I want one for my office!

Jeanine

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, WOW this is wonderful. Love how this tray turned out. You did an incredible job. Thanks for the inspiration.
XO

Marie-Interior Frugalista said...

Love it Kathy! I'm pinning this idea.
Marie@The Interior Frugalista

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

The sign turned out wonderful, Kathy! Very creative using a tray.
xx,
Sherry

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Cute, cute and cute...what a great idea to use a tray!!

This N That said...

Love it. Great idea. Have a good evening Kathy.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Such a great project Kathy...Who would have thought?

Donna said...

What a great redo, Kathy! I love the graphic you used, and the color, too!

Our Hopeful Home said...

I hear you about the office! Ours used to be where I blogged (and decorated) but now my husband works at home one day a week and he has taken it over. I now use the dining room table lol. But he brings home the bacon so I'm not complaining! LOVE your tray sign! Your husband is lucky you're so talented (and thrifty). Where can you get the Transfer Artist paper? I'd love to try it.
xo Kathleen

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

The sign turned out great, Kathy. It adds a lovely touch to your office.
Hugs,
Julia

chateau chic said...

Love the sign!! Love this idea, Kathy.
Mary Alice

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Wow who would pay $29 for that tray!?!?! Great redo. I love TAP!!!!!

Xo

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh, I love it, what a fun sign and it is so perfect for your wall. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

must love junk said...

LOVE this!! Turned out great :)
Susan

Cynthia said...

Wow Kathy this tray is so cool. Love the effect and this looks painted. Great job as always!!!

Cynthia

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Wow Kathy this was a great way to use this tray. I really love how this turned out. Really neat!
Hope your doing well.
Love ya
Maggie

Little Miss Maggie said...

I love this sign. Everything about it is perfect. I bet your hubby loves it too.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

You are so danged creative, Kathy.

I absolutely LOVE that sign you made for your home office!

Hey, MY office is mostly the cat's - so I hear ya about it not being very "pretty" most of the time. Keepin it real! : - )

Have a fabulous weekend. Hugs.

Botanic Bleu said...

Real vision to see the tray's potential! Fabulous remake with wonderful choices of words and graphics.
It looks great on the office wall.

Judith

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...