Thursday, September 11, 2014

Teacup Bird Feeder

SONY DSC

This is a project that has been around for a while, but one that I am only now getting to.  It is a teacup bird feeder using a thrift store teacup and saucer.  I had this teacup and saucer in my booth and in my Etsy, and it didn’t sell in either place.  So, rather than bring it to Goodwill, I decided to make a bird feeder with it.

SONY DSC

Here are some I found on Pinterest. 

Create this simple, unique and inexpensive to make bird feeder for yourself, or for that bird lover in your life.

Source

Source

Maybe I'll do this with my unbroken fiestaware. Sell the 3 sets this way. I don't need all my dish collections any longer, but with only 3 of the 4 place settings...this makes sense. 

Source

There are quite a few variations involving adding chain or metal, but this hanging version is quicker and less expensive, since all I have to do is hang it from the tree or a shepherd’s hook.  You can also add some copper tubing pieces or other tall upright items to have it staked in your garden beds. 

SONY DSC

For mine, I laid the teacup on the saucer to see where the contact points were going to be on the saucer and the cup.  That is where I added the E6000 adhesive.   Once that dried, I added the hanger, hung it in the tree, and added some bird seed.

SONY DSC

Done.  I completed a project on my “want to make” list and I’m sure the birds will be happy!

SONY DSC

22 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

I love tea cup bird feeders. They are so cute and such a clever idea. I made one years ago when I first started blogging.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

How adorable! I have seen the ones staked in the ground, but I love this tipped over version!

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

That is just too cute! I have wanted to make one forever, thanks for the reminder :)
xo, Andrea

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Absolutely adorable, Kathy! I hadn't seen this project before...thanks for sharing! This is on my list now, too! And it would be a fun gift!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Well done, my friend! This is lovely and, well, you kinda know anything teacupesque is awesome to many!

Remember to keep in a covered spot, or try and cover or take down when it rains or the seed will be ruined.

And it is Ohio, it WILL rain. That's how we roll. ♥ your new feeder.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, love this project and yours turned out so pretty. I want to try this one too. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.
Have a great weekend.
XO

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

This is also on my list of "to-do"s…my long list!! Yours is adorable!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I love teacup bird feeders...yours looks great Kathy!

Our Hopeful Home said...

So pretty, and easy, too! Just watch out for those pesky squirrels:)
xoKathleen

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
This is so cute. I love it and just might make up one for myself!
The kitties love watching the birdies from inside the screened porch.

hugs
Sissie

The Polka Dot Closet said...

This is new to me, I've never seen it before! I think it is adorable. I hate to admit it . but downtown orlando has a rat problem and I don't want to make them any bigger...So no feeding the birds here...Bummer

Carol

Anonymous said...

Kathy, this is adorable! What a wonderful idea. I know the birds just love it! It's so pretty and such a nice accent to your garden. I have to give this one a try; I love it!

Blondie's Journal said...

This is too cute! I've seen them on stakes but I really love this. It may be late in the season but I'm going to try it on the oak that's growing right out of the middle of my patio for all to see!

Jane xxx

Little Miss Maggie said...

That is so cute. I actually haven't seen that version of the teacup feeder. It would also be great with tea light candles for a twilight tea party too.

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Very cute! I have one that I want to make out of a chandelier. Probably next year lol.

Junkchiccottage said...

Kathy,
I love these. I made these for Mother's Day last year and think they are so fun and adorable. It is amazing all the pretty china teacup sets you can find at Good Will to make these. Have a great week end.
Kris

Okio B Designs said...

I love this idea! Such a pretty cup and saucer too. =)

Jeanine

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Soo, pretty, Kathy. I have seen the ones where you have to drill a hole and bolt them to a stake in the ground. This looks much easier and more whimsical with the tipped over cup.

farmhouse-story said...

charming, kathy! bet these would sell now:)

Preppy Empty Nester said...

This is so cute! I have so many pretty tea cups that I never use. Thanks for the inspiration!

truthbtold said...

I am sorry to say this, but your squirrel buddy has his eye on your beautiful cafe tea cup even as we speak ! He is deviously planning his attack. He will chew through that little string in no timeat all and wha la . Broken on the ground it will be while he enjoys the spoils of his work !! It was very pretty though . LOL

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

How pretty that is! laurie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...