Friday, August 10, 2012

Bookshelf To Bench

Saturday I shot over to my daughter’s house while they are in New York visiting to work on an upholstery project.  My son-in-law took a bookshelf that he made awhile ago {and that was stored in the garage} and added some foam that they had to the top.  After a text from my daughter, I was given the task of covering it.

DSC08946_7997

You remember I found that pleather remnant in the Hobby Lobby clearance bin?

DSC08944_7995

I thought it would work perfect for this ~ easy to wipe down and the colors would go with the rest of the room.  I grabbed a bunch of supplies and headed over there to transform it.  This is what I came upon when I arrived.

DSC08942_7993

I wound up having to do the sides in pieces since the fabric wasn’t big enough to cover the whole thing. 

DSC08949_8000

DSC08950_8001

DSC08951_8002

Where I pieced the sides, I added this tassel trim.

DSC08952_8003

DSC08954_8005

It took me about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish and they will have to finish off the inside.  I will be making a suggestion for that and I also suggested they get a piece of molding for the bottom to cover up that area. 

DSC08959_8010

If it was mine, I’d even go a step further and get some short feet to add to the bottom.  I “styled” it a little bit before I left.

DSC08965_8016

DSC08968_8019

Before I walked out the door, I added a little book to that stuffed dog on top, so it looks like he’s reading it.  I think my granddaughter will get a kick out of seeing that!

DSC08972_8023

16 comments:

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Now that is a genius idea! I love the leather look and the tassel trim. It's very nice!! Your grand daughter will love it for sure!

Локосова Татьяна said...

Чудесное превращение! Браво! Очень стильный предмет интерьера получился! Умница! Возьму на заметку, с вашего разрешения.

Debby said...

Very cute. I love it.
I didn't know that you are a GF as well. Do you have Celiac?
I have never heard from Viv.....but glad we are partners. See you soon.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a great idea. I love the "leather" look too. Great job, way too cute witht he stuffed bears. Hugs, Marty

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

It looks amazing!!! I love working with pleather.

Dee

DIYbyDesign said...

You're so clever. What a great look. Glad you were able to stretch the fabric so far.

This N That said...

Great look..love the tassels..Of course you had to add those finishing touches..So cute..

Rooms by Ann said...

kathy I love the fabric. It looks like a high end piece.

Kelly said...

You did a great job transforming that! It looks good. I like the added tassle trim too. You made some good suggestions. Hopefully, they will use them to further enhance the piece.

Unknown said...

It looks wonderful! I agree that some feet would really finish it off. And it looks like they would be fairly each to install. Your daughter is lucky to have a talented Mom like you!

Little Miss Maggie said...

You did a fabulous job of covering that bench. I like the trim. It's beautiful with the pleather fabric. Yes, I bet your grandaughter will love the bear with the magazines.

Okio B Designs said...

It looks wonderful! Did they love it?????

J

Brandi said...

So clever! I love the bottom shelf for storage.

The Single Nester said...

You did an amazing job!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Looks great! Looks like the perfect spot for a few furry friends. I have a really hard time with upholstery, can never seem to get the puckers out.

John West said...

Looks good and very beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...