Sunday, September 9, 2012

Organizing When You Downsize

It’s almost a year now since we moved from Long Island, New York to a suburb of Dayton, Ohio.  Not only did we move, but we downsized from a 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath center hall Colonial to a 2 bedroom, 2 bath ranch condo. 

before_house_thumb[4]

{Pre New Vinyl Siding}

exterior

First off, my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were moving with us {into their own first home} and needed furniture.  The really big and heavy pieces I sold through Craig’s List.  My dining room, den and two spare bedrooms’ furniture went to my daughter.  All the things that made their way to the attic for storage were either sold at a yard sale, donated or thrown away.  Sometimes it was difficult, but I really had to detach and be realistic when doing this.

IMG_6136_3296

{A favorite picture of my old backyard}

Once we were in our new place, a lot of creative storage and organization had to take place to make the most use of our pieces and the space.  One item that came in handy was the first dresser makeover I did from a roadside rescue piece.  The affordability factor?  It cost me zero as someone was throwing it out {much like the one I just found recently}.

DSC01162_0841

It has become a transition piece in our open floor plan condo anchoring this wall, allowing me to decorate on top of it, and the baskets and drawer hold a wide array of items.

SONY DSC

I fit my table linens in here, napkin rings, light bulbs, a picture frame or two, some chargers, and things I need to keep out of my 2-year-old granddaughter’s little hands!

SONY DSC

The two side tables in the guest room {also made over} were in my son’s old room in New York.

DSC08427_7486

The two drawer piece has the top drawer basically empty; right now it holds the television remote.  The bottom drawer holds some extra clothes for my granddaughter, as well as the crib sheet and pad that goes with a travel crib.

DSC07510_6543

The second table has two doors and right now I have our family photo albums stored in here.

SONY DSC

In my craft/sewing room {which was originally a storage room} I left the existing wire shelving which came in handy for my supplies.  For those larger items that take up a lot of room ~ large pillow form, batting, fiberfil ~ I hide store them under the skirt I made for my sewing table. 

SONY DSC

The fabric separates right in the middle of the table so I have easy access.  These items are out of the way and I can store them without them taking up a lot of physical and visual space.

SONY DSC

Finally, I wanted to share two bookcases that were also in my son’s bedroom in New York.  They actually fit in our sunroom really well and the shelves hold some decorative accessories as well as my decorating books.

DSC09327_8361

{Still waiting on new flooring, hence the furniture movers underneath them and the gap between them}.

DSC09330_8364

DSC09329_8363

The drawers hold DVD overflow, board games and a couple of throws.  I even have one drawer empty!

DSC09331_8365

DSC09332_8366

These are just some of the ways we’ve utilized furniture we already owned to pull multi-function duty in our downsized home.

Linking up with

Organizing Solutions at Whisper Wood Cottage Talent Scouting Event

organizing-solutions

 

26 comments:

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Kathy,

Your home is beautiful! You are really good at being organized.

Dee

Always Nesting said...

Wow. Great job downsizing. You've made your new house a home and it's beautifully organized.

NanaDiana said...

You did a wonderful job with making things do dual purpose jobs. I really love how it all looks, too. At some point we will be doing the same thing as you- xo Diana

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Kathy,

One of these days we really need to get together! I forgot you are only a couple hours away!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

You have created a lovely home in your new place. We are in the midst of downsizing too as you know. When we sold our previous 4 bed 3-1/2 bath 3700 sq. foot home we rented a 2000 square foot home with an unfinished basement. We sold a lot and have some things in the basement, not knowing where we would end up.

We are getting closer to knowing now and I think we might have to sell a few more things...lol

Anonymous said...

Kathy, you have really made the best of this situation! I love how you have organized and used every inch of space. Your home is perfect and you have decorated it beautifully! I love all the hidden spaces you've used! Good luck on The Talent Scouting party!

Gail said...

I LOVED that dresser when you first posted about Kathy and I still LOVE it! I need to be better at organizing especially in the garage.

Sonny G said...

it all looks so good kathy and serving double duty is wonderful too.
The exterior of your home is just beautiful.. I bet its great having the yard maintained by others..

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Everything looks great! Love the baskets in that cabinet. I also downsized about a little over a year ago. Things are starting to get unorganized a little so time to get rid of stuff again. It doesn't take long! Being organized just feels good.

The Feathered Nest said...

Kathy, I just LOVE your new home and of course you've done such a gorgeous job of decorating it!!! I'm so in love with the vignette with the repurposed dresser, baskets and egg prints! It's just beautiful to me ~ I love all the photos you've shared...wishing you a wonderful week sweet friend, hugs and love, Dawn

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Kathy,
You have made your new home so lovely and I love your creative use of space and storage. I'm going to use some of your ideas because as you know, we are doing the same. Our new home (if we ever get there) is about 3000 sq feet but it's still smaller than our current home. It's also an older home and will need upgrades.
I've got my work cut out for me.

hugs
Sissie

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What a beautifully downsized home... and so so organized!!! You are very talented at using space!!! When I downsize (just thinking of it gives me an I-need-to-go-to-bed headache!) I'll be asking for some guidance!
I love all your neat solutions to having great stuff! LOVE the sewing room!

Okio B Designs said...

Do you miss the old house?! The photos bring back memories. I can't believe it's been a year already. =(

Jeanine

Connie said...

I always love organizing tips. Who doesn't need a little help in this department.
I finally got my first cup of morning coffee and opened my blog . . . to the lovely surprise of a new follower, Thank you, I'm looking forward to sharing ideas and gleaning from your professional tips. Have a great day and thanks for following my site. Connie :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

You've done an amazing job with your new place and you have decorated and utilized every corner. Beautifully done. Hugs, Marty

Michele Smith said...

Wow. Great job downsizing. Your new home is beautifully organized. If only I could get and keep our home organized LOL :)

Unknown said...

Yeah Kathy! I absolutely loved your Long Island home and all it's charming features, but is has been such fun watching you wonderfully decorate your new home. The surprise waiting for you in my shop was to find your little birthday bird with the caption - Happy Birthday Kathy! Of course I would not let you purchase your own gift. He was made just for you. If you will send me your e-mail at elizabeth.andrus@yahoo.com, I will post him to you! Thank you for all your kind words! Elizabeth

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes.com said...

Kathy, you are an organizer extraordinaire! You have found a nice place for everything it seems with one empty drawer to spare! Your condo is very pretty and looks like a regular house. Your sewing room might be small but it is very well organized. Good luck in the contest!-----
Shannon

This N That said...

Somehow we always seem to find room..I'm going from 2200 SF to 900 SF...should be interesting...

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kathy...you sure have made the most of storage and organizing with beautiful elements....Love all your ideas. Have a wonderful week!

vivian said...

everything looks great! I LOVe what you did with that dresser and will keep that idea stored away in my mind!
you have a lovely home.
xoxo

Angie said...

I absolutely love the piece of furniture you rescued and put the baskets in. I have got to find me a chest or dresser and do that. Your vignette is so pretty too!

Debbiedoos said...

You did an amazing job Kathy not only downsizing but creating such cozy spaces and decorated so well.

Unknown said...

Your home is so pretty! I love all the things you've done to turn your house into a home!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Your down-sized home is lovely. You have truly made it a comfortable home. Love the vignette1

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

You have shared lots of great ideas Kathy! My fav of everything is how you use the storage room for a craft room. I think it is so sweet & cozy. When moving, it's like putting a puzzle together trying to figure out new spots and uses for everything and you did a great job! Angie xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...