Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Accessorizing A Bookcase

I recently did a post here, where I talked about a custom bookcase my client had done and how we recently accessorized it.  When I am working on a bookcase, I like to have a good amount of accessories to add to the shelves so that it is not all books on any one shelf.  There is always {at least} one accessory mingled in with the books on each shelf.

Country Living
Sometimes it might help if you view each shelf as a tabletop and work on one shelf at a time.  I usually do a little bit at a time; adding a few books then an accessory or two, then step back and look at it. 
Ballard Design
I also like to leave some room for any additional books or accessories you may bring in as time goes on.   Besides books, some things I like to add are greenery {real or faux, but not a bad looking faux}, a decorative box, pictures of family and favorite images, jars, spheres, statues and so many other options. 

My client
I also like to vary my heights and widths as each shelf may differ in height.  This allows for some interest in the lines of the bookcase as you look from top to bottom and side to side.
My client
When bringing a bookcase into a room, you should take into consideration the size of the room to the size of the piece; how many books you have; will it work for you now and in the future.  You don't have to be an avid book reader to have a bookcase either.
Unknown source
Accessorizing a bookcase doesn't have to be a daunting task, nor does it have to be a boring view with shelf after shelf of just books.  Sometimes a bookcase may be the focal point in a room so you'll want to make it visually appealing.

Bookcases are something you can add to over time, so not every area of the shelves have to be filled in right away.  I hope some of these tips and pictures have given you some inspiration {or courage, as the case may be} to tackle your own bookcases!


21 comments:

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Beautiful photos!
Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Sonny G said...

Oh Kathy.. you have no idea how timely this is for me..
I just got my 2 bookcases together and they have been sitting empty becuase I couldnt figure out where to start.. Now I have these great examples.. This isnt quite as good as if you were here to help me but I'll take what I can get..

xoxooxox
Sonny
155 Dream lane

One Cheap B*tch said...

Love that last photo. Wish I had room for a bookcase in my house. I have to get a new corner one I think.

Jeanine

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Great tips on bookshelves!

Unknown said...

Love all those bookshelves. Makes me wish I had some to accessorize.
Brooke

Unknown said...

....unless of course you have a bookshelf like the one in my sons room. One which is SO crammed full of stuff there is just NO room for pretties :(

Decor To Adore said...

I often find that bookcases are some of the most challenging when it comes to decorating. Love the inspiration.

Jill Marcott-McCall ~Feathers & Flight~ said...

Good Morning Kathy,
This is a Wonderful Post! You are Making Me Think I Need Refresh My Book Case. I really like the Blending of Colors in the Photo with the Porcelain Blue Pieces and the Terracotta Books.Thank You so Much for the Inspiration!
I think I have been Stuck on Symmetry and will try your Suggestion on making shelves different heights!It would be fun to do something that would play into the Holidays Coming up!
Sorry to Ramble on so!
Have a Wonderful Day Kathy!
Hugs Jill

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Great pictures. I love the inspiration. I just redid our bookcases, and I agree, it can be fun if you just add a few favorite things with the books. Thanks for sharing such great pics. Hugs, Marty

Blondie's Journal said...

I am looking for a bookcase for my family room. Your tips will hep immensely when I start to jazz it up!

XO,
Jane

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

I love the first photo! I would love to have a wonderful bookshelf wall in my home. the problem is I would probably put way too much stuff on each shelf. The green flur de lis you had for your client was super pretty!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
After seeing these wonderful photos of bookcases and built-ins and your advise, I'm going to get to work on mine!

hugs
Sissie

Lisa Porter said...

Oh my goodness, thank you for relieving much of the anxiety I have about book shelves. It's like the harder I try, the worse they look.
My mantle even went bare for a couple of months. It's helpful to have the holidays for that one.
Great post!
Lisa

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Great post! I agree with you, having plenty of accessories to choose from gives you more options for being creative! And I'm like you as well...lots of stepping back and taking a look!

Candylei said...

I love the bamboo furniture in the first photograph. Also mixing the china in with the books. Beautiful!
Candylei

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Thanks for the decorating tips, Kathy! I love accessorizing bookshelves. My problem is...I also dearly love books. Consequently, I have more books than display space.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com

Maria Killam said...

Such a great post, I'm still doing my bookcase, it's a never ending work in progress!!
x
Maria

Anonymous said...

HI Kathy! Oh, I love this post as I never feel I get my bookcases looking right!
Also, thank you so much Kathy for bidding on my table runner.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Anonymous said...

Yes! I love all these photos for inspiration. I have an entertainment unit with shelves that I'm always hating cuz it looks empty. I really need to figure out how to make it "work" in my family room.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I like to mix accessories with my books as well. Although I plan on removing all of them and just leaving the books (more or less) when we list out house.

Manuela

Monica Jones said...

Great blog with pictures and detail.
keep it up

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...