Monday, December 30, 2013

Messenger Bag

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!  I enjoyed the past few days spending time with family.  I can’t believe we are getting ready to ring in 2014!

SONY DSC

I made this messenger bag for my daughter for Christmas and, because she reads my blog on occasion, I couldn’t post it until now.  I had low hopes that this project would turn out well, so I didn’t take pictures as I went along.  This was my first try at a bag of this sort.  I did follow this tutorial for the bag, and this tutorial for the magnetic closure.  I found both tutorials on Pinterest.

SONY DSC

There was a lot of back and forth between the pictures, the text, and my actual project to get this done, but it all worked out!  I bought the owl fabric for the lining {fabric.com}, because my daughter loves owls.  The colorway worked out great with the pair of tan corduroy Gloria Vanderbilt pants I picked up at Goodwill for the exterior of the bag.

SONY DSC

I followed the messenger bag tutorial for cutting all the pieces out.  I held onto the two back pockets in case my daughter wants them added in.  I also cut the waist band, removing the belt loops, for the strap.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I was really pleased with the way it turned out, especially since it was my first time making something like this!

SONY DSC

Linking up with:

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

Be Inspired at Common Ground

21 comments:

farmhouse-story said...

great job--that looks hard! happy new year, kathy!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
What an adorable project. I bet she loved it.
I'm not sure I would attempt something that detailed since I don't have the patients. Love it though. You always amaze me with your creativity.

hugs
Sissie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love it, what a great project and I am sure she will love having it. Great choice of fabric too. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

Kathy, this is so cute! I love the owl fabric! You did an amazing job on this bag! I know she loves it!

Thecreativeme23 said...

Looks great Kathy! I love a messenger bag as well...and the owls had me at hello!

Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That is adorable! Love that owl fabric!

Okio B Designs said...

Really cute! Did she love it?????

Jeanine

Kathleen said...

Very clever use of the cord jeans! Great job!
Happy 2014!

Cynthia said...

Kathy this came out great. I love the lining!! Glad you had a great Christmas. Happy New Year!!

Cynthia

This N That said...

Love the bag Kathy..I'm sure your daughter appreciated it..Very cute..

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, What a great bag. Love the fabric and I bet your daughter just loved it.
Thank you for sharing and wishing you a very Happy New Year!
Hugs
p.s. I just got back from RA's The Prairie and will share a post and pics soon.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Kathy this bag is amazing and I know your daughter loved it. It's so much fun to make gifts for our loved ones. I too made my DL a bag for Christmas out of burlap and chenille.
Your so creative using pants for this project. It turned out prefect.
I wanted to come by to wish you a Very Happy New Year. My posting has fallen to the way side because my computer problems.
Happy New Year
Love ya
Maggie

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

You are so talented Kathy!!…Beautiful bag!…Happy New Year to you and your family…my wishes to you for a very happy and healthy 2014!!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

I love it, Kathy! And I especially love that you used a pair of pants for the fabric, great idea. Looking forward to spending 2014 with you. :)

JP said...

Great job, Kathy...no doubt your daughter adores it!
JP

Debbiedoos said...

That is so so cute Kathy! I love messenger bags. They are so comfy, and lightweight. The owl fabric is adorbs. Happy, Healthy New year to you! XO

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

That is so cute, Kathy! I adore the owl fabric, it's such fun.

Well done, may this lead to many more to follow- perhaps put some in your space to sell now?

Hope this new year is great for you. I also hope it is the year you and I finally get to meet in person, we're not far from one another and would be such a thrill. You are always warmly welcome here should you wish!

Hugs.

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Happy new year, Kathy! The messenger bag is super cute. I love the owl fabric! Have a wonderful 2014 with your blog and with your family! ~ Jamie P.S. I gave your blog a little mention in my latest post. I took some pics of the snow lady ornament that I won. :)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

It looks great Kathy and I'm sure it was big hit!

Karen said...

Kathy the bag turned out great. I'll bet your daughter loved it. My daughters never read my blog, lol. Have a healthy happy new year, I look forward to seeing your great projects in 2014.

Alison Agnew said...

what a lovely little bag
you've created

i would love for you to share it
at Fridays Unfolded
if you get a chance!

Alison
Nancherrow

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...