Monday, December 16, 2013

A Shady Switch

SONY DSC

You might remember when I recovered a lampshade in our master bedroom here.   This is how it looked in the bedroom.

SONY DSC

Then I found a remnant of the same toile in a different colorway at Hobby Lobby just a few weeks ago.  This particular colorway actually goes better in my bedroom.

SONY DSC

So, what to do?  We have a floor lamp in our sun room {which we use as a den} and I was happy to figure out that the lampshade was the same size as the bedroom’s shade.   I switched them!  I put the bedroom shade in the sunroom.  Luckily, the colors in this shade work with what I’ve got going on in the sunroom.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I recovered the floor lamp’s shade for my bedroom lamp, using the new toile remnant.  I just had to pick up some flat trim and a beaded trim for the bottom of the shade.  A quickie tutorial ~ trace a rough outline of the sections on the shade onto paper, cut out and use this as your template for the fabric.

SONY DSC

Remove the existing trim from the lampshade by running your hot iron over to loosen the glue and pull off.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

After you’ve got your fabric pieces cut, adhere with hot glue until each section is covered.

SONY DSC

Add your flat trim to the vertical areas between each section.  This covers up the rough look of the fabric sections.

SONY DSC

Add your top trim and, if doing a beaded trim like I did, add the beaded trim to the bottom.  Then adhere your flat trim on top of the beaded trim’s lip so it is hidden.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

What do you think?  It goes much better with the Duck Egg color going on in here.

SONY DSC

This switch worked out great for me, allowing me to get a new look for a small amount of money.

Linking up with:

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

Fall Into Fall at DIY by Design

Treasure Hunt Thurs. at From My Front Porch to Yours

Be Inspired at Common Ground

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

39 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

this is gorgeous!! love both of those beautiful toiles, thanks for showing us how!

Olive said...

Great switch. Also love the tutorial as I am a dedicated lamp freak.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kathy, Both shades are gorgeous and this toile is beautiful.
xx,
Sherry

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Kathy I LOVE them both!!

Unknown said...

I love your lamps;) but oh my God the dresser and the mirror is to die for! The colour....

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Looks Great to me! andyou did a fabulous job on it too.
Don't you just love it when you find a way to use something else in another room, and are able to switch them like that, and you get a new
look for practically nothing.
works for me!!

Hope you have a Lovely Christmas,
blessings, Nellie

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It's so pretty!

Sherry at The Rusty Pearl said...

Great Switch and YOU know I love any good design on a dime . Just beautiful and I love your dresser my friend. BEAUTIFUL

Createology said...

Lovely lampshades. They both are exquisite. Well done. Creative Bliss...

Nancy said...

Oh Kathy this is just stunning! When I get around to covering mine I'll be back here to follow your Instructions, thanks for sharing!

My Beautiful Pillow arrived on Saturday, I just love it and it looks great in it's new home on the Family room Mantel.

Huggs, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Stunning! I adore both fabrics! You have chosen the perfect place for each shade! Thanks for the tutorial! I have to give this a try!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Wow that is so pretty! I have that fabric in the blue colorway on a bulletin board and it's one of my favorite patterns!

Celestina Marie said...

Kathy your shade is gorgeous. You know how I love toile and the blue colorway is beautiful. It looks perfect with the blue in your room. Both shades are wonderful!
Thanks for sharing your steps.
Hugs

This N That said...

Good switch Kathy..Looks better on both sides..Love it !!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Beautifully done, Kathy.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

It's a beautiful lamp Kathy! The fabric and trim look amazing in your room. How sweet that you can still use the other lampshade.

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

It's beautiful, Kathy- I love it! And bonus that you were able to keep the other shade & fabric. :)

farmhouse-story said...

i think both lamps look great! you make this project look easy, but, i don't think mine would look as professional as you work--great job!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kathy, the lamp looks fabulous..I love it with the duck egg dresser…great job!!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

You are so danged clever, seriously that is amazing. WELL DONE, lady! it looks so good - they both look great in their spots.

Now it may be time to do a little fun on my own lampshades now that you showed us how. Thanks so much for sharing!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love it, this is so perfect. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Okio B Designs said...

It looks beautiful! Definitely matches perfectly in your bedroom.

Jeanine

must love junk said...

Your new lampshade looks perfect with your dresser-so pretty! Great job:)
Susan

Debbiedoos said...

That lamp is gorgeous Kathy. You do an amazing job with your shades. Great fabric choice too.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

Oh Kathy that toile is dreamy! You have put me in the mood to get one more lamp shade done before Christmas. Beautiful! xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Oh I just love this! What a great idea, and so different and unique!

chateau chic said...

Your lamp shade is so pretty, Kathy! Love the toile too.
Mary Alice

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Love that new fabric and yes, it does look much nicer!

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Love your lampshade switch and makeover! Great fabrics and very nice tutorial. Thanks for teaching us how easy it is to change a shade! I have two liv rm shades that are large and hard to find and then too expensive. I know just what to do now! Your dresser and lamp look so great together, the dresser color is perfect.

Happy holidays & many blessings,
Edie Marie

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Love the lamp shade makeover!! Beautiful!!

Thanks for stopping by!

Hugs,
Deb

Debra from Bungalow said...

It;s beautiful. Amazing what impact a little change makes.

Merry Christmas!

Art and Sand said...

I have only tried to redo a lampshade once and I would consider it semi successful. You make it look so easy so I might try it again.

Ivy and Elephants said...

Very beautiful! You did a great job, I love both lamps.
Patti

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Kathy. You're a master at this kind of thing! I can't imagine covering a lampshade! It really does look great in your bedroom!

Thanks so much for stopping by my neighborhood tour. It's late for us this year, but we always take a ride to look at lights (the one I took to take the pictures for my post might be it this year LOL!).

I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas! ~Zuni

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

What a beautiful lampshade--I love it and pinned it!

Patty Rumaker said...

It is adorable! I love toile! Merry Christmas!
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Little Miss Maggie said...

I love your new toile and it's perfect for your room. I'm glad the switch worked out for you. Both fabrics are gorgeous.

DIYbyDesign said...

Kathy you did a beautiful job transforming the lampshade. I will be featuring it tonight at my Winter Blues Wednesday party. Merry Christmas.

MONICA LIVAS said...

looks great! LOVE the toile choice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...