Thursday, October 30, 2014

Shutters ~ Done!

Thanks so much for giving your input on my shutter dilemma!  I’m sure you are all just hanging on the edge of your seats to see which option was decided on. 

I had to laugh after going through all the comments.  The opinions were pretty evenly divided!  So much for using you guys as the tie breaker! I decided to find some happy middle ground and I lightened the shutter with the dark wax a bit and added a touch of dark wax to the clear waxed shutter.

SONY DSC

What do you think?  I think I’m more relieved to have two shutters looking the same at this point!  It took a little bit of playing with the waxes between the two shutters to get them looking the same, but I am happier with the outcome. 

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

After adding the wood embellishments to the tops I knew I had to make them stand out a little bit, so I felt the shutters needed some dark wax to accomplish that as opposed to just leaving them totally Old White.

SONY DSC

Now, I’d like to hang paper wreaths of some kind off them. I’ve been looking on Etsy for those made with paper flowers or rolled up book pages.  Like these:

11- 12

Source

Petal Book Page Wreath

Source

17 in Shabby Chic Vintage Book Page Wreath

Source

 

 

Christmas Wreath - Merry and Bright - Vintage Book Page Wreath - Winter Decor - Cottage Chic - MTO - Mint Aqua Blue Green

Source

I think it makes for such a pretty yet simple look.  Since putting this post together, I have found something I like and once they arrive I’ll share how they look.  For now, I’m glad I got this project finished and I thank you for your input!

SONY DSC

16 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

They turned out great! Those wreaths are fun too!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

They turned out beautifully, Kathy...and I can't wait to see what you ordered!

Laurel Stephens said...

They're perfect!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Glad you chose the dark wax - they turned out beautiful! I love that whole wall (especially the mirror)! Looking forward to seeing what it is that you ordered.

JP said...

Shutters...lovely!
Enjoy them, Kathy, they are beautiful!!!
JP

Cynthia said...

Kathy I'm having shutter envy. I'm wanting one for my kitchen and dining room. These are perfect and I so love the mirror

Cindy

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, I love the dark waxed shutters. They turned out great.
Love the wreaths too. Can't wait to see what you have arriving!!
Hugs

Sonny G said...



Love how they turned out.. You made the best decision for this project as it relates to your home.

the paper wreaths will look so pretty with them.

White Lace and Promises said...

Oh my goodness! I love the shutters and the detail. The mirror between them is geeeeorgeous! Love it. I also like the reflection of the wall frames. Such a tasteful room.

chateau chic said...

I really like how your shutters turned out, Kathy. The dark wax adds depth to them...love the embellishment on the tops.
Mary Alice

Anonymous said...

Kathy, these turned out great! I love the contrast of the dark wax on the light shutters! Your gallery wall is so pretty! Love the sign too!

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

I love how your shutters turned out! I like how much of the dark wax you used. I felt like I was doing something wrong when I did Olivia's shelf and dresser so dark over the old white. Glad it's a thing! Ha ha! Anyway, I made one of those wreathes and that was my biggest epic fail. I'll attempt one again in the future I suppose. Have a good night. ~ Jamie

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Kathy, they are perfect! I love the wood embellishment, I will have to remember that as I have some sitting in the garage waiting for inspiration

Carol

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Oh my they are pretty and what a gorgeous vignette!. I like that you added the dark wax and it helps pull the details out...loving the details on top. Very pretty and nice!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kathy...love the shutters!!!...they look great!...and really love those paper wreaths...would love to make one some day too!...

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Your shutters look great! I love the addition of the embellishment and I think you were smart to add the dark wax over the Old White. It gives depth to the shutters. Love 'em!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...