Thursday, October 16, 2014

Shutters In The Dining Room

For about a year, I’ve been feeling that I need something on the wall in the dining area to flank the mirror I found at an estate sale. 

SONY DSC

The wall is big enough (and high enough) that it felt like it really needed something else along with the mirror and French signage.  I had considered transferware plates, tureen lids, server lids, some kind of framed botanicals or bird prints, and, finally, shutters.

SONY DSC

As you can see, I went with shutters.  Unfortunately, it has been raining here quite a bit so the pictures are not going to be the best.  After going around and around with the different options I finally decided on shutters and figured that I can always hang a plate, tureen lid, wreath, or picture on each shutter. 

SONY DSC

I think I can do more with the shutters here than if I went with any of the other options.  And, there is still enough room above the mirror to add three small plates,  if I wanted.  The shutters were also more readily available.  I was able to find this pair at the antique mart where I used to have my booth.  

SONY DSC

Also, in their favor, they are affordable; I paid $24.00 for these.  I also picked up a sample pot size of CeCe Caldwell Vintage White, which they happen to sell there, too.  I am going to add a wood embellishment to the tops.

SONY DSC

Meanwhile, I hung them up to get a feel for how they would work in the space and I am liking how they look here.  The blue is so pretty ~ kind of faded and the insert is a couple of shades darker than my wall.  Not too keen on that color though. 

SONY DSC

I took one of the thin white shutters I have in our guest room and held it up against the wall before I bought these and white would work fine here.  I was concerned that white might disappear against this light beige wall color.

SONY DSC

I plan on adding the wood embellishment and painting them over the weekend.  I’m eager to see how they turn out!   

12 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

They look great there.

NanaDiana said...

They really do fill that area in nicely, Kathy. Isn't it funny how it sometimes takes us a long time to just figure out WHAT we want somewhere? While I do like the color they are I think they will look nice painted, too. xo Diana

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love that look...working on something in my dining room too!..can't wait to see them painted and embellished!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, Love how the shutters filled in the wall on each side of the mirror.
I too like the color but I think the white will keep the area from being too busy. Looking forward to seeing them painted.
Have fun.
Hugs

Okio B Designs said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see your embellishments.

Jeanine

Anonymous said...

I love your shutters, Kathy! I love shutters on walls flanking items! I know you will make these even better with your embellishments! I can't wait to see the reveal!

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Hi, Kathy! I love the shutters look. I have two hanging in my living room and I love them. I have grapevine wreaths hanging from them. I don't think I've ever put a picture of them on the blog. I need to do a home tour sometime soon. Anyway, have a lovely day! ~ Jamie P.S. I have a post up about how I made my burlap leaf banner. I am working on another post about my laundry room makeover. Trying to post a little more here and there. :)

JP said...

I know exactly how they are going to turn out.....fantastic!
JP

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

The shutters look great, Kathy. Looking forward to seeing them all fancied up. :)

Tea in the Library said...

Like the look.

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I love shutters cause they look good everywhere. So much you can do with them. I also love your mirror too, so pretty. Can't wait to see them all done up and looking more pretty!

Little Miss Maggie said...

I love the shutters and I also love that you will use them to hang things on. That's a great use of accessories. It really does fill the space on your wall very nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...