Thursday, November 20, 2014

Altered Altoid Tin Christmas Craft

SONY DSC

While I’m not decorating for Christmas yet, I have been itching to get started on some Christmas crafts.  To digress for a moment, I’ve been in a funk for quite a while and, to keep myself from napping as a part of that funk, yesterday afternoon I decided to pull out some supplies I have in my craft room to make a few things.

SONY DSC

I took an empty Altoid tin from my stash that I didn’t paint, because the red works for Christmas. 

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I also grabbed a Christmas scrapbook pad, a small bottle brush tree, a mini penguin, some glue, and a couple of other odds and ends.  After tracing my papers for the tin, I laid everything out before gluing to make sure how I wanted this to look.  I used a blue and white snowflake paper as my interior background.

SONY DSC

I added a punch-out snowman from the same scrapbook pad to add some interest and another layer to the background. This pad also had ready-cut strips that I was able to use to line the inside of the tin.

2014 11 19_5267

On top of that I used Merry Christmas text (also from the same pad) but I put that on some foam tape to give it a little more dimension.

SONY DSC

I did the front of the tin before I put the tree and penguin in.  For that I used a different paper I had with ornaments, but that had the same blue as the interior paper.  I used a little tag I had with a clear snowflake embellishment.

SONY DSC

I also had the thin Christmas ribbon and added that to the outside rim of the tin.  I used Aleene’s Craft Glue for everything except the penguin, tree and beads I added to the tree. I used hot glue on those.

SONY DSC

I love this package of little penguins I picked up.  I am a fan of the Penguins of Madagascar, which is what I think of when I see this little guy.  Can’t wait to see their new movie!  These penguins will be back for another project I have in the works, too.

23 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Super cute Kathy!!

Betty said...

Kathy it is so cute and Thanks for showing us how you did it.

Okio B Designs said...

I love when you make these. N made one for himself last night. Not quite as pretty as yours but good enough for a 7 year old. =)

J

JP said...

He-he-he...that is so adorable! Hope you are having fun with thoughts and projects for your Holiday decor!
JP

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I am sorry that you have been in a funk. I hope it passes quickly! Your altered in is adorable Kathy.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my word, you are so creative. This is the cutest.

Teresa@magazineyourhome said...

That is so dang gone cute!!! I love it!! I'm imagining all the little scenes one could make using the altoids tins. I'm going to have to try this.

Susan' Hearts and Flowers said...

This is so cute. I love that you recycled the altoid tin.

Connie said...

Hi Kathy, this is so cute. I know what you mean about wanting to make holiday crafts. Now that I have a big fireplace mantel to decorate, I have been starting to make things to put on it and bring in the Christmas cheer. My husband loves, take that back, he LOVES Christmas, so the more I decorate the happier he is. We quit exchanging gifts between ourselves a couple of years ago, but decides to have more friends over for small dinner parties and to have a couple of seasonal date nights. We love it so much that we have decided that it is a perfect fit for us:) Of course when you invite guests you want your place to shimmer and shine with Christmas cheer.
Here's wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving and if I don't visit again before Christmas . . . the best Christmas ever.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

farmhouse-story said...

adorable way to reuse the tin, kathy:) hope when you look at it, it cheers you up:)

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, This is just too cute. Love it and the little penguins are adorable.
Great project with the altoids tins.
You are so creative!
XO

Diane said...

Your little tin is so cute, love the idea!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Cute, cute, cute! I love your little Christmas tin, Kathy.

Createology said...

Now this should bring a smile to your face and cheer you up dear. So cute! Sharing Joy...

Tea in the Library said...

So cute! I love altered tins etc. I'm sure a little crafting helped cheer you up!

Judy said...

This is so stinkin' cute, I can't stand it! I am an Altoid addict...when I think of all of the tins I've thrown away...awww!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

So very adorable....a gift card would go great in that tin!...

Anonymous said...

I hear you on being in a funk! I'm right there with you. This is just the cutest tin! I love the penguin and the Madagascar penguins as well! You turned this into a treasure!

Debbiedoos said...

That is cute Kathy!! And so clever of you. I would love this cutie in my purse lol! I would take it out and ask would you like an altoid? Surprise. Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy! Oh, this is too cute! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

How darling is this Kathy! I do love how you turned a simple little tin into something to enjoy for the holidays. Like always you are still making me say oh Wow when I come over here. I visited last night but could not leave a comment then this morning I was excited and happy to see you came over for a visit so I had to come back and retry the comment.
Your black and white picture of your snow is an amazing pic but like you it is just way way too early for that kind of weather. I think if it snowed like that here and in November you would find me strapped in a straight jacket. Nope can't handle it not made for cold weather. I guess the stork knew where to drop me even though I always thought as a girl that I was suppose to be dropped in Maine. Lord knows I couldn't handle Maine weather. haha
So excited being here I am rattling on and on.
Happy Thanksgiving dear friend.
Love
Maggie

Patti said...

Ok - I've been in the same funk, so this post inspired me in a wonderful way! I do have a few altoid tins! Thank you for sharing this sweet idea!

must love junk said...

This is so creative and clever, Kathy! Just adorable :)
Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...