Monday, May 25, 2015

How Does My Garden Grow?

2015 05 24_6011

While I was waiting to flip the burgers on the BBQ on Sunday, I was looking around at some of my plants.  Since it was such a nice evening I ran in and got my camera to document this year’s garden.  I went with a purple theme this year since I think it compliments the color of the stonework and the grey on the exterior of our condo.

2015 05 24_6007

This year’s garage door urn features some purple and chartreuse coleus, purple geraniums, and licorice plants.  I know this will fill in pretty quickly and I have to remember to capture how it looks again a month or two from now. 

2015 05 24_6012

My hanging basket of purple petunias, which I just bought so I can’t take credit for how healthy they look right now.  I just have to remember to pinch the spent blooms.

2015 05 24_6009

2015 05 24_6010

I noticed that my roses are in beautiful bud right now.  I have a miniature and a regular size, both pink, that I planted a couple of years ago.  It looks like something has been eating the leaves and maybe our resident blogging Master Gardener, Cathy from My 1929 Charmer, will comment with some advice on that!

2015 05 24_6014

Around the front, my urn by the front door with the Martha Washington geraniums I planted back in the beginning of May have really filled in.  I think they like it here because they are out of direct, intense sunlight, although they do get some in the morning.  I just have to remember to water them every couple of days because they are under an overhang so don’t get the rain.

2015 05 24_6018

My Japanese Maple that I put in about a year and a half ago is doing very well, as are the coral bells I planted underneath it.  I love the purply color of the leaves which ties in with some of the other bushes that were already here when we moved in.  I think those pansies have just about had it though.

2015 05 24_6016

Still waiting for the daisies to actually have more than just the greenery. 

2015 05 24_6015

The salvia from two years ago is also doing very well and new this year are the Bachelors Buttons and Tickweed.  

2015 05 24_6017

Just around the corner are my pink hydrangeas and a couple of hostas planted in between, but they are all just leaves now so I didn’t take a picture of them yet.  I’m hoping for some nice blooms to be able to cut and bring in the house again this year. 

I also planted a lilac bush this year in front of our home office window.  I don’t think I’ll get any blooms this year, but next year I can’t wait to open those windows and have that heavenly scent come right into the house.

That’s what I’ve got growing this year.  What are you growing?  Anything new?

14 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

You have a nice variety of plants Kathy. Right now I have not planted anything...we are letting the grounds crew here take care of things. I will probably plant some things this fall and next spring.

Blondie's Journal said...

I love that you have some great space to get your gardening groove on. Not everyone loves to dig in the dirt but it looks like you know what you're doing! Such a nice variety. My late sister loved pink and purple flowers so I did the perennial garden at the lake in those colors. She would love what you have going on. I have an overhang around a big part of my house in my backyard...it covers some large beds so I'm hauling the sprinkler out a lot. Mulch is my savior.

If Cathy doesn't get to you, a natural way to deal with the critters eating your leaves is just some regular old dish soap mixed with water and sprayed on the leaves twice a day. If that doesn't work, you may have slugs and a tried and true remedy is to fill a few shallow containers (like the lids to a pickle or condiment jars), with beer. Yep! They love the smell and taste, crawl in and drown. If you see the little carcasses, you know they were slugs!

Thanks for the visit! I'm enjoying my planting but it has gotten humid. One more day predicted of rain and then a few days of sun. Yay!

Jane x

Stacey said...

Everything is so pretty, Kathy! I'm so envious of your Japanese Maple. That's always been a wishlist/dream tree to me. I planted two or three of them in Oklahoma and even though we had shade...I guess it was too dry. Bachelor's Button's were just introduced to me three years ago. We planted several of them and just them! Ours are in full bloom right now. Last year, I trimmed them as the summer went along and they bloomed repeatedly.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Pretty, pretty, Kathy! You have been a busy lady for sure making your garden so beautiful.

I amend the soil at the base of my roses with the combination time-release food and pest control by Bayer. It's in a big blue plastic container I got at the big box hardware store's garden section.

It's REALLY helped my flowers. And it doesn't take much.

Okio B Designs said...

Looking good! Growing pretty much the same as we always do. Just excited my garden is in and already looking good. =)

J

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Your garden looks beautiful. I've been so busy, I haven't had time for gardening, or, even putting out flowers. It'll probably be winter before I do. LOL

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I like those Martha Washington Geraniums! Everything looks beautiful Kathy. I did a container vegetable garden this year but that's about it. I haven't had time to photograph it yet, hopefully soon!

Cynthia said...

Everything is coming along. When I post our front yard you will see the amount of hydrangeas I used

Cindy

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, your garden flowers are gorgeous. I love the color you are using this year. Roses seem to be getting black spot this season and little bug holes. I used a Miracle Grow Fungicide spray and it seems to be helping. We've had way too much rain which roses don't like.
Have a great week.
xo

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Beautiful Kathy....looked like great evening... I am waiting for my hydrangeas to bloom too...hope they do after not blooming last year!

Becca Bertotti said...

Wow, Kathy ... what a beautiful (vibrant and happy) garden! You have so many lovely flowers bursting with color ... your salvia (we used to have that in red) reminds me of lavender. I can only imagine how relaxing it is to be surrounded with such pretty florals! Will you please come help our poor mulch beds?!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Our yard is a total mess. We really need to do a ton of work. Yours is looking amazing.

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

So pretty Kathy! it's been raining so much can' get out an plant ours, and I'm hoping to do it tomorrow. Your salvia looks so pretty and I started a whole flat of them in the greenhouse. The victoria blue is so pretty and pops against anything it's next too.

Debbiedoos said...

Your gardens are looking amazing Kathy! Wait til you see that Japanese maple in a few years. Our was even smaller than that when we planted it 5 years ago and you should see it now. You are going to adore it even more in a few years. I learned when trimming, trim from the bottom up. You have a ways to go before you need to do that. Enjoy your flowers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...