Thursday, May 28, 2015

Atelier Sign

SONY DSC

Thanks to a sign that Ana at A Petite Cottage created for her craft/sewing room, I was inspired to make a sign I’d been wanting for myself.  One that said “Atelier”. After seeing Ana’s sign, I thought I might be able to come up with something myself.

Source: A Petite Cottage

The letters that Ana used were what drove my inspiration.  I had used the same letters when I did my entry/foyer gallery wall but Ana’s letters were magnetic. They didn’t have magnetic letters when I was at Hobby Lobby, so mine will have to be glued onto my sign.  I got the letters {and a fleur de lis piece} on sale{50% off}.

SONY DSC

Now I just needed a base for the sign itself.  I laid the letters out in the way I would want them on the sign and measured.  I also measured over the door to my craft room because that’s where I want to hang it.  With those measurements in hand, I headed to Lowe’s because they have what they call “craft” wood, which is great for signs.  That’s where I got the wood for my Hotel de Paris sign in our master bedroom.

SONY DSC

I got this piece for $5.01{with tax} and it measures 36 x 6 inches. 

SONY DSC

I painted it black with acrylic home décor paint {from Hobby Lobby} and distressed it a little by sanding it.  Once it dried, I added my letters.

SONY DSC

I wound up using Elmer’s Wood Glue as an adhesive.  I added two sawtooth hangers to the back for hanging.

SONY DSC

It turned out just as I had hoped!

SONY DSC

Just in case you are wondering, “atelier” is French for workshop.

SONY DSC

I think “workshop” is a fitting description of my craft sewing room since this little room works so hard at containing all my supplies, inspiration and me! 

 

19 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Perfect. Your craft/sewing room is totally amazing and the sign is perfect.

NanaDiana said...

That turned out just GREAT, Kathy! I love it! You sure were able to get a lot into that room- WOW- Glad you have that space, I bet! xo Diana

Stacey said...

Great job, Kathy! Your sign looks fancy and dare I say...expensive. :)

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Well done, Kathy- it looks AWESOME - you are so danged talented, my friend.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Love, love, love your sign. I feel so much smarter now that I know what that word means!

Debra@CommonGround said...

wow, this is amazing. what a gorgeous job, love the black and the metallic look of the lettering.

Createology said...

Lovely sign and totally appropriate for you and your space and your incredible Creative Bliss. I posted on my blog with your link about the Knife Block Makeover...I am still smitten. Lovely Day Dear...

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, your sign turned out fabulous. Love it. At first I thought it was really metal. You did an amazing job.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Have a great weekend. xo

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

As always your creations are beautiful....love, love that sign Kathy!

Okio B Designs said...

When I saw the first photo, I really thought you bought it. It came out amazing! Love it!

Jeanine

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

What a fabulous job you did with that sign Kathy! It totally looks like metal.You are a true artist.

Sherry said...

I love your sign, thanks for sharing. I am always impressed by your creativity

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Love it almost as much as I love your room!!

handmade by amalia said...

A cool sigh. The whole room is really great.
Amalia
xo

Tea in the Library said...

Love it. Simple and elegant.So much comes down to execution and you do such nice work. Your Master Bedroom dresser is a case in point. Anyone can slap paint on a dresser. You my dear are an artist and a craftsman. Thanks for the visit hope all is well.

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Love the sign, so perfect!

chateau chic said...

Great sign, Kathy! Perfect over the door to your craft room.
Mary Alice

Carolyn said...

It is perfect!

Carolyn

Ana said...

Oh Kathy,
Your sign turned out beautiful. Love it! I am thrill to know that my little sign had some part in your inspiration. Thanks for the shout out❤️

Hugs and Kisses,
❤️Ana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...