Thursday, March 25, 2010

Unexpected Weekend Finds

Saturday was a beautiful day here on Long Island!  Temperatures in the 70’s! A great way for Mother Nature to make-up with us for the horrible Winter she put us through.

I made a quick trip out to the supermarket and on my way back home passed a yard sale.  I had no intention of stopping, and probably wouldn’t have, except it was a family that I’ve known for years through our kids’ friendships. One of the things they had set out was some baskets.  Various sizes and shapes.  I found these three and while the daughter said “$1.00”, I gave her $5.00 {I felt bad}.

IMG_5294_2672

As soon as I got home I ripped off the lace, ribbon and Christmas embellishments. 

IMG_5298_2676

IMG_5299_2677

IMG_5301_2678

I grabbed my can of Heirloom White spray paint and got to painting while the weather was in my favor.

IMG_5302_2679

Looking better already!

IMG_5318_2712

I “see” these being used for plants and flowers.  I thought the flat one with the two handles on the back would make a nice one for hanging somewhere outside.  A little plastic inside for a liner and couldn’t you just see sweet potato vine, some allysum, purple salvia or some other flowers softly hanging over the sides of this one.

IMG_5321_2715

I’m trying this one as a toilet paper holder in the main bathroom.  Not sure if I like it yet.  I was thinking of adding a tag of some kind to it, too.

IMG_5324_2718

The last one I’m not too sure about yet, but sometimes I buy extra flowers just to make sure I have enough, or maybe a few pots of geraniums.

IMG_5322_2716

Linking up to

Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville

Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous

 

12 comments:

Design Esquire said...

What great finds! They look fabulous white, and will be perfect for flowers!

Vanessa said...

you did great, that's what I call trash to treasure! Basket are such a great all purpose storage solution that look great in just about any decor.

House Queen said...

Great find!

Anonymous said...

Love the baskets after the paint!!

marie said...

I would have totally over-looked those baskets. Thanks for pointing out the possibilities!!
Your baskets look great! My favorite is the one you plan on hanging outside ~ it will be so pretty with flowers in it.

Maddycakes Muse said...

Really great!! I am a huge fan of spray paint as well. If you go through my blog you will see that I use it on so many things from decor to things for entertaining and parties.

Michelle
www.maddycakesmuse.blogspot.com

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Wow, Kathy, these are great!! Aren't you glad you stopped!!??

xxoo

Carrie Garvin said...

I love spray paint and what it can do ~ the baskets are charming in white.

Angie Holden said...

Nice finds!! Those look like really nice baskets!!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Love'em!!!

Lou Cinda :)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I can see some pretty red Geraniums in that last basket! They all look really pretty and summery now that you painted them.

Manuela

Jane B. said...

Ooooh they look fabulous in white! So shabby chic and perfect for Spring! Thanks for linkin' up!

Jane @ Finding Fabulous

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...