Monday, October 4, 2010

Front Door Painted? Check!

A project in the line-up here at Casa Passarette is the painting of the white front door to black.  I finally got to Home Depot this past week and, just as I was going to proceed down the paint aisle, I backtracked and decided to look at their Oops paint. 

IMG_8142_4599

Guess what they had?  A quart of black exterior Behr paint.  The one with the primer already in the paint.  A can of black exterior Oops paint with the primer already in it - $1.00.  That’s right, $1.00; 4-quarters, 10-dimes, 20-nickels, 100 pennies.  Not only did I save on the paint, but I got a primer in the deal, too!  Woo Hoo! 

IMG_8140_4598That’s a meant to be for me, so I got it.  I told the Home Depot associate it’s a white door.  He said two coats should do it {maybe a third} and I should be able to use this one quart to do it all.   I’m a little skeptical about that, but we’ll see.  So, here we go.  Here’s the before of my front door and front of the house.

IMG_6180_3310 Front door before

IMG_8237_4628

Here it is with the first coat.  I was feeling a little unsure, but once you start you can’t stop!  After I got a full first coat on, I was feeling anxious and a little nervous as to what hubby was going to think.  I got myself nice and worked up over it, but when I regained consciousness and got off the floor I kept on and gave it a second coat. 

IMG_8238_4629

We redid the siding to a tan color a few months ago, which is what made me want to paint the door black {although I’ve been itching to do it for a few years now anyway}.   I asked for suggestions in this post about painting the side lights and, while evenly split between painting them and not painting them, I decided to leave them alone.  I can always come back in and paint them black, too. I’ll give it two weeks and see how I feel.

IMG_8241_4632IMG_8240_4631Overall, I am happy that I painted the door black as the white just disappeared.  It took two coats and a little touch-up here and there.  We have new outside lights that will be going up, too.  I may even have a little room at the bottom of the frosted oval to do a vinyl that says “Welcome” or “No. 29”.    

IMG_6181_3311

 

IMG_8245_4636

 

 

 

 

 

 

Linking up to:

Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch

Before & After Party at Thrifty Decor Chick

Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous

 

 

34 comments:

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Hi Kathy, I think your door looks wonderful, and what a great buy on the paint!!! hugs~~~ Daphne

Wendy said...

Looks fabulous! We just painted 2 of our doors black, too! What a great deal on the oops paint. I am going to have to remember to check those out!! Have a great Monday :)
Wendy

Shabby Anne said...

That turned out great Kathy! It always pays to look at the 'oops' paint, you never know what you might find. Good job all around.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
Your front door looks great! You are a brave girl. I'm not sure I would have the nerve to tackle a project like that. You did a great job and it really shows off the entrance to your home.

hugs
Sissie

Sonny G said...

Kathy, it looks great and I like the sidelights being white.. That really draws the eye to the door.. I just had my door repainted black last wednesday, so of course I think a black door is the purdiest:)

Happy Fall
Sonny

Red Door Home said...

Looks great and such a bargain too! If my front door was not red it would definitely be black.

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

How fab is that, Kathy, $1.00!! I love the door and I say go for it, paint the side lights :)

I've been wanting to paint our fireplace red for awhile . . .

xxoo

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, I love the door black. It looks great...Kathy

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Love it! I just redid my front door to black last week too! I posted mine for Met Monday also. I wasn't quite as thrifty as you on the paint though. What a great bargain to spur you into action. I sure wish I had been able to find something like that. It looks wonderful! You did a beautiful job on it! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I love the door black. It's perfect. All my bloggy buddies are painting their doors black and they look fabulous! Mine was just done in dark gray to match my dormers.

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Love the black door! And what a deal on that paint - wow! My hubby and I were just talking yesterday about painting our front door black. I really like how yours turned out!

The Tuscan Home said...

Love it, what a differnce! Black always looks timeless and classy! Great job! ~Liz

Sandra said...

Love the door in black! What a great deal on the paint too!
Blessings,
Sandra

Heather Henderson said...

black in the oops section?? you are one lucky girl!

Unknown said...

I have been wanting to do this for so long. I am so nervous. Yours looks great. I will have to get my courage up.
Brooke

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the door painted black. It looks fabulous. Hugs, Marty

Denise Marie said...

Kathy, you DID NOT paint your front door for $1 with BEHR paint!!?? Get out! lol
Love it and your hostas are gorgeous.

Room to Inspire said...

I think it looks fabulous black - we used to have black doors, but due to the sun exposure (and the black color) our doors ended up warping over time...I was sad to see them go. I just love the look!

Chelsea

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Great find, and yes, the door is much, much better black!

Great transformation.

:)
ButterYum

Elise Lowerison said...

I love the black front door look! It brings the eye into the contrasting parts of your home and brightens everything up on the outdoors. I came across your post this afternoon while browsing interior design blogs and your take on interior décor is exquisite. Would you go with black window treatments now because the front door, the focal point of the front of the house, is black? It is true that you must dress your windows appropriately to bring out their true beauty. Thank you for writing and as a special thanks to you and your readers, I would like to offer a 20% off coupon using this code upon checkout: BLG20.

Becca Bertotti said...

Kathy, your front door looks beautiful! I love how it pops with the white side windows! And, what a huge score(!) with your paint ... practically free! Thanks for sharing, *Becca*

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I love a black door. So sophisticated. Looks great!!

Sarah, Three Boys said...

That really changes the whole look! I LOVE it!!

Anonymous said...

Now why would you be nervous? You went from one end of the spectrum to the total opposite? (haha). I'm glad you regained consciousness in time to finish it up because it looks beautiful, darlin'. I am also totally jealous of your $1 paint. I mean I've seen it cheap, but $1. Don't they know that black is a great color? You did so good!

Silvia C said...

Kathy, that's some deal you've got there. Wow. And the door looks so elegant!

Sheri @ www.careergirlinterrupted.com said...

this looks awesome - and you'll see why i'm REALLY partial to your makeover if you stop by my blog LOL. This looks great - love the black!

One Cheap B*tch said...

Oooooh, looking good!

J

Bruce Barone said...

I LOVE it!

Design Esquire said...

It looks great!! I love the black.

Karena said...

Kathy I adore your black door it has a very elegant feel to it!

Karena
Art by Karena

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

You did it!
It looks awesome!
Do you feel like you are arriving in another person's driveway when you come home?
:)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Love the door black! I painted mine black and also the sidelights! I did NOT like my sidelights black, so then I painted them back white! I did a post about it and it was just a hot mess! lol My door is red now...I think I have issues...

Love your door!!

Lou Cinda :)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That was just meant to be! How fabulous is that! The door looks great black - you can really see it now.

Manuela

Controlling My Chaos said...

Your door looks great. I love black on a front door, but I could never do it on ours because we get full, intense sun, on it in the summer and it gets hot no matter what color it is. It would be dangerous with black.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...