Monday, November 26, 2012

Wood Tote Makeover

In case you missed my tote makeover when I guest posted over at The Copper Coconut, I’m posting it here today while I continue my Christmas decorating.

I found this one at our local antique mart for $8.00.  Kind of plain but I liked the shape and size.

2012 11 02_9089

I started out by painting it with my Annie Sloan chalk paint in Old White. 

2012 11 13_9251

I then added a graphic to each side; this one from Debbie at Confessions of a Plate Addict.

lavendar.bee.plateaddict

I used the Mod Podge method to transfer the graphic to the tote.  Using a toner printed/copied graphic {I copy mine at the library}, I cut my image as close as possible.  The image must be printed in reverse/mirror image.

2012 11 13_9252

2012 11 13_9253

Apply Mod Podge to the image side and apply to your piece.  Gently smooth it out and then, walk away.  I generally leave mine to dry overnight. 

2012 11 13_9276

The next morning, I wet a paper towel and wipe it over the paper.   Just to get it wet enough so that I can rub my finger over it.  It will come up like this.

2012 11 14_9260

Using light pressure, rub your finger over the paper until it starts to come up.   This is what it looked like after my first go over.

2012 11 14_9262

Once it is done, you can wax it or apply a coat of polyurethane for protection.  I applied a coat of clear wax  to the entire piece once I was done.

2012 11 14_9266

A new look for a plain old wood tote!

2012 11 14_9274

2012 11 14_9273

 

14 comments:

Olive said...

It turned out beautifully Kathy.

Sonny G said...

thats beautiful Kathy. you always amaze me with your creative talent.

Okio B Designs said...

I did miss this post! Must have been when we lost power. I love this - looks amazing!

Jeanine

Cynthia said...

Kathy, I just love this project. This is one of my favorite graphics. It turned out just prefect. Love the pumpkin too.

Cynthia

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Kathy, this is beautiful! You are so creatively talented!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice design, Kathy.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Kathy, $8 was a great price for the tote and I still have not tried that method, on my todo list for sure! It turned out perfect!

Carol

Little Miss Maggie said...

Looks great, Kathy. I just love that transfer method.

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Your makeover looks much better than the original. Love the color and the graphic!

sweetvintageofmine said...

Very nice and creative! I must get going on some creativity around my house....very inspiring to do so! Roxie

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Wow amazing how your pieces always turn out so pretty. Repeating what everyone else says your just so creative.
Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.
Love
Maggie

A Few Pennies said...

Sweet carrier; when you see the original and begin your magic--it turned out beautiful! I love that towel with it too.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Love, love, love it!!! You are so good at transforming objects!!!! Hope you join TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS!

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I love transfer designs and yours is great. I will try this one of these days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...