Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Nature Collage Wood Box

I found this wood box at an estate sale over the Summer and brought it to my booth “as is”.   I decided to channel my inner Dawn at The Feathered Nest and give a nature collage box a try.

2014 03 31_3806

2014 03 31_3807

2014 03 31_3808

I started by gathering a few things together that would fit inside the sections of the box.  I used some scrap book paper, as well as some dictionary pages from a book I have just for crafting, and an old date book that had some nature quotes and illustrations.

SONY DSC

We were forecast to go up to a whopping 64 degrees on Monday, so I took advantage and gave the box a quick spray with Rustoleum’s Heirloom White 2x spray paint.  I did a very light coat on the top because it will be getting covered up.

SONY DSC

I used Mod Podge to attach the papers/pages to the inside of the sections.  You can see a couple of sections got scrapbook paper, a couple got dictionary pages and a couple got a combination of the two.

SONY DSC

For the inside of the lid I used a scrapbook paper that is supposed to look like burlap and added a floral bookplate illustration.

SONY DSC

For the outside of the lid I used a script scrapbook paper as the base layer, then covered a pretty shaped wood piece I had with another paper. 

SONY DSC

To that I added a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson that came from that date book I mentioned.

SONY DSC

I used hot glue to add in the different elements. 

SONY DSC

A nest with eggs and feathers to one of the dictionary page sections, which has the definition for nest on it.  Right above that a faux butterfly.

SONY DSC

Off to the end in the one long section I added a lone flower with some greenery that I put together with floral tape.  I felt it went well with the dictionary page I used there.

SONY DSC

The middle I left blank for someone to add their own special touch.  Maybe an old bee’s nest to the section with the bee graphic.  For the other free section, perhaps some small pinecones or acorns, even some pretty rocks.

SONY DSC

This will be making its way into my Etsy.

SONY DSC

On a side note, I kept that wood tote I updated!

SONY DSC

Going with my feelings, and popular consensus through your comments and emails, I couldn’t bring myself to put it back in the booth!  Like most of you said, I thought it looked pretty good on my coffee table as well, so that’s where it will be going after I put the Easter décor away.

Linking up with:

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

Swing Into Spring at DIY by Design

Treasure Hunt Thurs. at From My Front Porch To Yours

Be Inspired at Common Ground

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

30 comments:

Our Hopeful Home said...

Such a pretty, springy, botanical box! Great choices of mediums, I think. It all goes well together. I'm glad to see you're keeping the tool box. It really looked perfect on your coffee table! xoKathleen

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love this botanical inspired box! I am sure it will sell quickly.

NanaDiana said...

That little box turned out GREAT! I love the way you pulled all those elements together. It looks great and should sell quickly. Glad you are keeping the tool box. xo Diana

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love it, what a creative idea. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In The Woods said...

Oh, Kathy!

This is so very beautiful! I just logged into Etsy (I'm cottageinbloom) and added your shop as a favorite. I love everything you create! :)

Have a happy one!
xo,
Lin



ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

LOVE LOVE the botanical box...great job Kathy!!

Karen said...

I love it Kathy! now you've got me in the mood to craft lol.

Cat-arzyna said...

What a great idea Kathy ! It is very pretty !
Hugs :)

Celestina Marie said...

Love your botanical box Kathy. It turned out beautiful. Great details. These sell quick on etsy. It's going to fly off the shelf.
Hugs

Okio B Designs said...

Love it! I pinned it once it came up in my Etsy feed. =)

Jeanine

Cynthia said...

Kathy this is GORGEOUS!!! Stop making things until I am in the new house, you are killing me!!! I can't buy any more items right now.

Cynthia

Gail said...

Oh Kathy, that turned out great! I'm so glad you're keeping that tool tote. It looked beautiful on your coffee table!! Happy Easter to you and your family, Gail

This N That said...

Beautiful Kathy..great job..I'm sure someone will grab it..

This N That said...

My comments on your blog are coming back as unable to deliver..

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

What a pretty box, Kathy. I love all the elements you put together. Glad you kept the tote- it just looks too good in your home to let it go.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, this is so pretty! I would have never thought to use all the natural elements! You turned this box into a treasure!

Stacey said...

This is so neat Kathy. For some reason it reminded me of when my boys were little. We collected all kinds of things from nature. It would have been fun at the time to have a pretty box to put it in.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh, my goodness - what an AMAZING transformation, Kathy! WOWZA!!

You are so amazingly talented, that just looks so danged great!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Cute makeover you did on the box...luv that darling little nest. You will be happy that you kept the tote.

Blessings,
Linda

Debbiedoos said...

That is very sweet Kathy! I love all the pretty little detail inside too. What a happy surprise when you open it.

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Love the box! You did a great job reworking it!

Lorraine said...

Hi Kathy--I love love your updated nature box!! Love the outside, love the inside--your chose the perfect papers and love the nature elements! Thanks for your visit to my blog and your kind words. Have a great week! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥

Tazas y Cuentos said...

Your box is lovely!!!
You did a great job. I enjoyed all the details.
Besos from Argentina,
Silvina

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

It's beautiful, Kathy! I love the nature theme.
Happy Easter to you and your family!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I love that you made the inside as pretty as the outside! Happy Easter Kathy!

Lynda Brandly said...

I love this! It's beautiful! I'm so impressed with your creativity.
Lynda @ Gates of Crystal

Julie said...

I love everything about this project! It turned out beautifully. You have inspired me, Kathy :)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Glad you kept the wood tote - it's perfect for your home.

That nature box is a beautiful project! I'd really like to make one (will add it to my list). I love how the elements go with the papers you used. Really gorgeous!

Pamela said...

What a wonderful project Kathy! Thanx for sharing it on THT.

Debra@CommonGround said...

You totally succeeded in channeling your inner Dawn!! te he! it's wonderful, I love how you've put it all together! pretty, pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...