Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Artist Behind The Etsy ~ Okio B Designs

Being a part of the Etsy community, not only as a seller but as a customer, I have come across many talented individuals.  With this new series, I hope to introduce you to some of these creative people, finding out where they find their creativity, and a little bit more about them.

To start the series off, I asked my sister, Jeanine, from Okio B Designs {both her blog and Etsy name}, to share some of the creative inspiration behind her Etsy shop.

Thanks, Kathy, for picking me to be your first Artist Behind the Etsy!  For those of you who don't know, Kathy is my sister and I run my own blog OkioBDesigns.Blogspot.com and Etsy shop: OkioBDesigns.Etsy.com.  I'm a wife, mother of two boys ages 8 and 6, and I run a small business during the day in addition to my Etsy shop and blog.

I started my Etsy shop back in 2009.  I originally started crafting about 20 years ago.  I made earrings that I displayed in pretty decoupaged boxes.  My Dad and I did several craft fairs together - he with his handmade birdhouses and me with my earrings and boxes.  I relished that time together!  However, once my parents moved from New York to Maryland, I shelved my crafting for almost 10 years.
I discovered Etsy through the blogging community and opened my shop with what else: earrings and decoupaged boxes.  I also made coffee-baked holiday tags that didn't go over so well.  I still cringe when I think about how amateurish they were.  I'm not sure when exactly I moved onto country chic and French-inspired pieces, but I do credit Romantic Homes magazine with my transition.  For years, I flipped through the pages and admired the shabby chic decor and romantic French touches.  I thought to myself: I can do that.  So I did.
I've had quite a few hits and misses along the way, but I still get excited when someone purchases one of my handmade items.  I typically keep the oopsies and use them to decorate my house.  I continue to draw inspiration from Romantic Homes, but I'm also inspired by everything from a Pottery Barn catalog to a small, local boutique.
My Etsy shop gives me the creative outlet I need that my day job sometimes lacks.  Sure it can get hectic juggling a family, full time job and shop, but I wouldn't change it for anything.  As if I wasn't busy enough, I just opened a second shop: OkioBVintage.Etsy.com, where I sell my vintage finds.
My advice to anyone looking to start an Etsy shop: be patient and most importantly: have fun!

Jeanine

Thank you, Jeanine!  You can visit Jeanine’s Etsy shop here and her blog here.

22 comments:

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Well the apple didn't fall far from the talented artistic tree, did it?

I have purchased things from Kathy and shall certainly do so with her sister Jeanine, too.

Neat idea for a series, Kath! Sorry I have been so absent, I was having serious blogging/domain issues and took a long while to get it back - ugh, just glad to be back. Hugs.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Such lovely things, thanks for introducing us. Hugs Marty

Celestina Marie said...

Great feature Jeanine. Love your etsy shop and all the creative treasures you offer.
So fun to read a little more about you, your talents and creative process.

Thank you Kathy for sharing and hosting this fun series.

Hugs~

NanaDiana said...

Those are just some darling items she sells. Thanks for the introduction! xo Diana

must love junk said...

What a great series, Kathy! Interesting to learn about your sister and her shop(s)! :)
Susan

Okio B Designs said...

Thanks for the feature! Love it. =) Was in NYC all day and just getting on the computer now. Can't wait to see the other artists you'll feature! And thanks everyone for the kind words. =)

Jeanine

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Oh, how fun to meet your sister, Kathy, a great idea for a series. Jeanine, your story of doing show with your dad is a precious memory. Your items are lovely. I can see that you all are a talented family.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I love your sister's shop! Talent runs in your family! Thanks for introducing her to us!She has some lovely items!

Gail said...

What a great series Kathy! I didn't realize that you parents moved to Maryland. I live in Maryland! Your sister is as talented and creative as you are.

Homeroad said...

Kathy I love Jeanine! I talk to her all the time on our blogs. I am hoping we get to meet at the grand opening of Suite Pieces in Huntington where I have my little booth. I think she is coming in so we can meet :)
Susan

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I will have to take a look. I didn't know your sister blogged too.

sweetvintageofmine said...

this is wonderful Kathy!! LOVE the idea of highlighting ETSY shops! That is one thing I feel I miss out on....there are so many nice shops to visit and I don't know where to start! Thanks~~~I enjoyed Jeanines items~~~Blessings~~~Roxie

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

You and your sister Jeanine are so talented.

Stacy CUrran said...

Really great advice...I love Etsy and can't imagine life without it now!
Stacy

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I LOVE etsy! What a great idea for a series Kathy.

I didn't even know you have a sister that's also an etsy seller. How fun! Her stuff is beautiful. Artistic talent must run in the family.

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

Hi Kathy, I had no idea the gal behind OkioBDesigns was your sister! How cool. I've purchased some of her great things in the past. Very nice feature.

Tea in the Library said...

I think this series is a great idea. So nice that you and your sister share common interests! What a talented family. I love the napkins!!!
Ps -Thank you for your visit.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Hello Kathy
What I neat idea for a series. I think it's so cool that your first guest was your sister. I love that you both are so creative.
Enjoyed reading about her shops and I am off to check her blog and Etsy out.
Thanks honey for your sweet comment about my two grandbabies. They are growing up so fast.
Have a wonderful week.
Love
Maggie

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Obviously a very talented family!!!...so nice to meet your sister Kathy!!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice feature, Kathy. Jeanine is such a sweetheart. Love you both.

farmhouse-story said...

great feature! i visited jeanine's blog--love her easter bunny banner!

Unknown said...

It was inspiring to read a little of the background behind what I believe to be quite a creative force. thanks for the insight....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...