Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Frosty Hat ~ Repost

This is a repost of the Frosty Hat I made back in 2012.

I’ve been wanting a Frosty hat for quite awhile now and when I saw this project over at Connie’s blog, Crafty Home Cottage, I knew I could make my own, too.  So, thank you, Connie! Let me start by saying take off your rings, say goodbye to your manicure, and have fun with it!

2012 12 10_9706

Here is what I used:

  • White oak tag
  • The cardboard disc from my gluten free pizza
  • The cardboard box said pizza came in
  • A brown grocery store bag
  • Mod Podge mixed with water
  • Plenty of paper towels

I don’t have pictures of each step, but I cut out the top part of the hat {the tall part} from the oak tag.  I went across the shorter side of the oak tag and actually got three pieces to make three hats.  The cardboard disc from the pizza was the perfect size for the brim area.  I traced the top of the top hat on the cardboard box and cut that out.  I taped everything with blue tape just like Connie did.

2012 12 09_9690

I ripped up the grocery bag into different size pieces and dipped them in a bowl of Mod Podge mixed with water, then applied them onto the hat shape.  After saying “Ewww” a couple of times, I just went with it!  It took me about an hour to cover the whole hat.  Once it completely dried {I left it for the day}, you paint it. 

2012 12 09_9691

While I had everything on hand to construct the hat, I made a trip to the dollar store to get a few decorations for the front.   I used some red ribbon that I had.

SONY DSC

Some Epsom Salts to use as snow on the brim . . .

SONY DSC

And I finally got my Frosty hat! 

SONY DSC

2012 12 10_9705

I had enough supplies to put together a second one, but didn’t want to spend as much time putting the paper on.  For the second one I just applied the Mod Podge to the hat and used some red tissue paper and molded it to fit.  I filled in any gabs with some torn pieces.  This one wasn’t as messy because I used a sponge brush, but I wasn’t as happy with the final outcome.

2012 12 09_9694

I didn’t mess with the folds in the tissue paper because I thought it might come out looking like a fabric hat once painted.  The tissue papered hat is on the left and the ripped paper bag is on the right.

SONY DSC

My daughter will be getting one.

SONY DSC

I have plans to make the third one into a Mad Hatter hat for my granddaughter’s nursery.  If you recall, Alice was a theme in this room when I did it over.   That one will have to wait until I have another gluten free pizza!

SONY DSC

2012 12 10_9704

 

18 comments:

Courtney@Golden Boys and Me said...

What a fun project, Kathy! I will have to add this to my list because I would love a Frosty hat.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kathy, These are so cute! I am loving this project.
Hugs,
Sherry

Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In The Woods said...

Wow! I haven't seen these before. Just perfect!!!
xoxo,
Lin

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

They turned out amazing Kathy!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Adorable, and so glad you re-posted since I didn't see it the first time! I have plans to make one, but I think for our winter scene vignette! Thanks for sharing again!

Art and Sand said...

How cute!

I might give one a try for one of my daily Christmas table vignettes

Cynthia said...

I'm still in love with this hat. I bet you would sell many in your Etsy and booth

Cindy

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, this is so cute and I love it. Now I will be saving my gluten free pizza box I have in the freezer right now. LOL
I can even see this as a tree topper. Love it. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs

JP said...

I remember what a fantastic creation this was...glad you re-posted it!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Hi Kathy, cute project. I showcased some top hats this lady makes in my area. She covers her in felt. Your hat is so cute. The possibilities are endless.

Okio B Designs said...

I think I loved it the first time you posted it and I still do!

Jeanine

must love junk said...

Oh, Kathy, this is sooo cute!! :)
Susan

Blondie's Journal said...

Awesome! I'm all thumbs but the cuteness is calling!! :)

I wish we would get snow...I looked at the forecast after you commented you would be getting some. Nope. But I guess that's good for those who have to drive...I always worry.

Merry Christmas (you will hear this a lot from me!!)

Jane x

At The Picket Fence said...

That is so fabulous Kathy!!! Love it!
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

HI Kathy! You are the most creative one! I love the hate and it looks amazing! Love how you've dressed it up just a bit too! Merry Christmas, sweetie, and I always appreciate your visits.
You are the sweetie,
Shelia :)

Stitchfork said...

I remember Frosty and he's still a handsome topper!

farmhouse-story said...

it makes such a cute statement for xmas--love it, kathy!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

How cute these are! You're so clever. laurie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...