Wednesday, January 9, 2013

DIY Kindle Cover/Sleeve

SONY DSC

You might remember that I told you I got a Kindle for Christmas from my husband and that I was going to make my own cover/sleeve for it.  I pinned a few that I liked and found this great tutorial that I decided to use.  The only thing I had to buy was the iron-on fleece interfacing and I used a coupon at Joann’s for that.  I went through my fabric bins to find two that would work well together {one as the lining and one as the outside fabric}.

SONY DSC

I decided on these two ~ Osnaberg for the lining and the Ballard’s French Document fabric for the outside.  I also picked out the button and elastic.  Thankfully, I also had these in my supplies.

SONY DSC

In the event you don’t want to click over to the tutorial I followed, here is the cliff notes version.   You need to measure your item, whether it’s a Kindle, iPad, notebook, etc., with a cloth tape measure.  Width all the way around and length all the way around. 

SONY DSC

You divide those figures in half and then need to add in for the seam allowance ~ 2 inches on the width and 1.75 inches on the length.   So for mine it wound up being 7 x 9 inches to cut for the lining and outside fabrics.  The interfacing is cut an inch shorter than those figures {6 x 8}.  

SONY DSC

You iron the fusible fleece interfacing to the wrong side of the outside fabric, place good sides facing each other and sew three sides together, leaving the top open.  Sew three sides of the lining fabric together leaving the top open as well as 3-4 inches at the bottom for turning. 

2013 01 06_0065

Clip your corners, turning the lining right side out and insert into the exterior portion of the sleeve {which is still inside out}, right sides facing.  Pin in place and here is where you insert your elastic.  I used elastic I had but you can use a hair elastic.  Stitch around the top of the case. 

SONY DSC

Turn the whole case right side out through the hole you left in the bottom of the lining.   Poke out your corners in the exterior fabric, sew the hole in the bottom of the lining fabric closed and push it into the case.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

Iron it and then do a topstitch. Then you can attach your button. I decided to add a decorative button on top of the button I sewed on. I just hot glued it on.

SONY DSC

I would suggest definitely going to the link for the tutorial I followed.  She did a very good job explaining everything and I found it very easy to follow.

SONY DSC

All done and doing it’s job!  Quite prettily, I think!

SONY DSC

Linking up with

Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

Winter Blues Wednesday at DIY by Design

Tutorials, Tips & Tidbits at Stone Gable

Creative Things Thursday at The Vintage Farmhouse

The Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

 

37 comments:

Sonny G said...

very attractive and so useful.
you did good~!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Beautiful design, Kathy.

DIYbyDesign said...

That is the prettiest Kindle case I have ever seen. Love the fabric you chose (you have a great stash of fabrics) and the decorative button. Great job as always.

Okio B Designs said...

I don't have a Kindle but now I wish I did. That is so pretty. You should add to your Etsy shop!

J

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a wonderful idea! I love it.

Debby said...

I got a Kindle for Christmas as well. My husband bought the case that goes with it as well. But, they gave him the wrong size......anyways, it went back. I was not going to pay $60 for it, or let him. Then I ealized you really had to have something. I ordered one online. You should make these for your etsy shop. I can't sew like you at all.......love the fabric that you used.

Kelly said...

Wow! That turned out great! I love the material you chose and how professionally it is done. Such a good idea to have a cover for those.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love it, what pretty fabric and it is perfect. Clever idea. Hugs, Marty

Teresa said...

I can almost listen to the moans when you take "him" from that amazing case.
Lovely Fabric! I'm hopeless with fabrics with letters, numbers, monograms... and I bow to your sewing talent.
Thank you for sharing and Congratulations!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Won't take you long to get some made for your Etsy shoppe I bet, Kathy! Those would sell well, I should think!

Love the fabrics you choose.

Janet said...

It turned out so pretty! Love the fabric you chose and really great tutorial,too!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Perfect! Love the fabric you chose and the extra button was a great idea to make it a little more dressy!

Cynthia said...

Fantastic idea and I love the fabric!!

Cynthia

This N That said...

Lovely Kathy..I love that fabric..I was thinking about making valances from it but couldn't find the fabric...

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

So much cuter than the ones you buy!! I hate the cover I have for my Ipad so I just might make me a new one!

Love your fabric!

farmhouse-story said...

great job! and the fabric is darling! off the check out the link-tfs:)

Laura Turner said...

Love this project, Kathy. Thanks for the tutorial. I am getting a Kindle for my birthday.

Laura at sundayview.blogspot.com

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

It's just darling, you did a great job on the kindle cover. If I ever have some extra time...

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Kathy....what beautiful cover for the Kindle...Will you be making those for your Etsy shop...I am sure they will be a great hit!!...

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

I sure do like your cover, Kathy, especially because it's handmade--that makes it all the more special. I love the fabric you chose. I always marvel at your eye for those things. :) Thanks for stopping by my Three Kings post! Nice to hear from you. ~Zuni

Little Miss Maggie said...

Beautiful job, Kathy. I am in love with your fabric choice and envious that you just happen to have that in your stash. I love anything with script and typography and that fabric is fantastic.

Marina in Blue said...

Wonderful Kathy, I love your blog, you have a new follower

http://marinainblue.blogspot.com.es/

Free Art Printables said...

Beautiful! I love the fabric!

Lori V said...

Great case, love the fabric

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi darling, this is wonderful. How creative, so much more exciting than the case I have for mine.
hugs ~lynne~

Carolyn said...

That is just so cute! I guess I should get busy and make one for mine now-thanks for the tips.

Carolyn

Sandy said...

Thanks for posting this.. I've been
wanting to make my iPad a cover for
over a year and this just gave me
the inspiration.
Happy New Year
Sandy

Gina said...

It turned out great, Kathy! I had to buy one for mine because I'm not quite so good at sewing as you are.

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Hi!
I haven't been here in ages...my life...busy...long story.
Anyway, I am coming around again and wanted to see what you were up to and I simply love this cover!
It's fantastic!
I wish I had a Kindle now, LOL!
Hugs and blessings to you Kathy!
~Leslie

Ivy and Elephants said...

This is so pretty, yet practical! Love the button that you chose.
Hugs,
Patti

The Polka Dot Closet said...

OMG it is perfect! I love the fabric and the band and button closure, such a great alternative!

Carol

Taryn @ Design, Dining + Diapers said...

This is the prettiest Kindle cover I have ever seen! I love it. The fabric is perfect. Great job.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Beautiful! I love the fabric you used too.

Craftberry Bush said...

Thank you so much for sharing with us . It is beautiful...xo

DIYbyDesign said...

Kathy this is beautiful. I will be featuring this tonight at my Winter Blues Wednesday party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tea in the Library said...

Are you going to be selling these in your shop?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...