Monday, September 28, 2009

Fall Fix-Ups On A Budget

The newspapers weren't interested in my Fall Tips article, so their loss is my blog's gain!


As Summer comes to an end thoughts turn to cozying up our homes. It’s always nice to save a little money. Here are some tips on getting the best bang for your buck and a great look to boot.


Bring in some baskets. Not only will they add texture and warmth to a room, they can be utilized for storing anything from firewood to games to keeping the remotes corralled.

Savannah Baskets, Pottery Barn, $24.00

Havana Baskets, Pottery Barn, $27.00


Rather than purchase a whole new bedding set, purchase a patterned flat or fitted sheet to dress up a current solid set.


Waverly Garden Images, JC Penney, $19.99


In addition, pillow shams are sold separately and can bring a secondary color or pattern into the bedroom as well. Check out Bed, Bath & Beyond and JC Penney Outlet.


Montreal pillow sham, JC Penney, $9.99


Change out throw pillows in your living room and den for a quick update. Even better if you can find them with a different pattern on each side. You can even make your own pillow covers to cover up existing pillows by using napkins, tablecloths or placemats. Fabric glue and hem tape can be used if you don’t sew.


Existing floral arrangements can be changed up by simply adding pinecones, leaves or branches. Instant Fall arrangement! Look in your own backyard or these filler pieces can even be found at your local dollar store.


Change out your artwork using scrap booking papers, wallpaper or fabric in frames. It’s also a good way to use what would otherwise be an expensive wallpaper or fabric purchase, but still give you a taste of it.


Scrapbook Paper pad, Walmart, $17.88



Inexpensive frames can be found at yard sales, thrift stores and even in your own basement. A little black or white spray paint and you’ve got a whole new frame!

18 comments:

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

Love all your ideals. I just brought a thrift store oil painting the frame was awful, but they had another picture that I did not like but loved the detail in the frame so I got both for ....drum roll please $35.oo, I had to paint the frame , but it looks great!

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Kathy,
I love all the tips!! Gotta love baskets for Fall!

Hope you have a wonderful week! Nancy

blushing rose said...

This is the newspapers loss ... TY for sharing such wonderful suggestions.

Have a lovely autumn week. TTFN ~Marydon

Verdigris Vie said...

Great ideas ! I never think to use baskets as decor - I don't know why? But they are so beautiful and even if they are holding some throws or pillows they look lovely.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Those newspapers are crazy. I'l canceling my subscription...wait, I don't get a newspaper. Oh well, their loss. Great tips!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

@ Room Service ~ I've started looking at frames with a different eye lately. Trying to picture them painted and what they can be; I've learned that from you and the other bloggers I read.

Hi Nancy! Thank you! I brought some baskets into my house when I was staging it before listing. They are great because they look so neat on the shelves and make it easy for me to hide things in there when there is a showing.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

And that's why I love my bloggy friends, Marydon! Thank you!

Baskets are helping to keep my house looking neat and picked up at the moment, Vitania. It's so easy to just put stuff in them when I need to clear up quickly.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thank you, Marian! I don't get the newspaper delivered either, so I guess it's even!

Anonymous said...

Definitely the newspaper's loss! These are great tips. I love the texture (as well as function) that baskets bring to a space. I have a couple of them under my coffee table full of magazines (which of course I can't get enough of) and I love them.

Design Esquire said...

Great ideas!

Decor To Adore said...

I just purchased a few new baskets and am now in organizing mode.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oh God, PK ~ don't talk to me about decorating magazines! I have to make myself go through them every couple of months, but I pass them onto my Mom ~ she loves them, too. I try to keep mine organized in a wicker and metal magazine rack.

Thank you, Christine!

That does seem to happen when you get baskets, Laura. : ) They just keep everything so neat and orderly, yet right at hand.

Susan @ Your home, only better. said...

Hi Kathy,

I just changed my throw pillows and bedding. Now I'm thinking about adding some baskets! :)

Thanks for joining the HOMEdigz blog party today!

Susan

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

The blog party is a great idea, Susan! I hope a lot of people joined in.

Unknown said...

Love your blog! I use baskets alot for organzing. They are pretty and a great way to keep clutter under control.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

jstwhatiwnt ~ I got quite a few this year while getting our house ready for the market. They have been a lifesaver for me!

Alycia Wicker said...

Great tips!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thanks, Alycia!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...