Friday, September 18, 2009

Hooked On Chunky Black Shelves


I'm sharing this post over at Julia's Hooked on Houses blog, where she does a Hooked on Fridays feature.

They are all over blogland! Those chunky black shelves {apparently called Cafe Shelves} that are being DIY'ed by talented Ballard's fans. I love 'em! I want 'em!

I first saw them in Rhoda's home office over at her Southern Hospitality blog. {I love Rhoda's home office but that could be another post all on it's own!}



Then I saw them in Traci's kitchen at her Beneath My Heart blog.






Most recently I saw them on Sarah's blog ~ over at Thrifty Decor Chick. The artwork pictured on this shelf is another stunning project Sarah did. You HAVE to check out her blog to see what she did.







So last week I was in our garage looking for that trigger thingy that you put on a can of spray paint and couldn't find it. So I sat down on a stepstool in there and just did a quick scan around trying to think where it would be. And, my eyes rested on this.




"This" consists of two bookcases my hubby made for me one year for Christmas, which we took out of our great room prior to putting the house on the market, because we didn't want people to think they came with the house.




On top of the bookcases is the bridge for our entertainment center and on top of that . . . see those funny wood legs . . . well, they are attached to a base hubby made for the bookcases because the wall they were going on has baseboard heat. To not block the baseboard he rigged up these bases, with legs that looked like they didn't pay back their loan shark on time. Fuhgedabodit ~ these bases and their funny legs raised the bookcases above the baseboard heating and kept it from being blocked.






Okay, but look at them this way with me for a minute {squint a little bit} ~ I take the legs off, sand, prime and paint these beauties black {I love the decorative molding he put on here}. Get large brackets from Home Depot {or wherever} and put them underneath ~ are you seeing it with me?!? Yes, yes ~ I think this could work!







They would be a bit different than the Ballard shelves, but they are basically made for me ~ all I have to do is paint them and get the brackets. Plus, I get to reinvent something that might otherwise have no use to us anymore.

I could use these anywhere ~ a home office, a family room/den, a kitchen. I'm very excited and even though I have no real place to put them right now {house still on market, sigh}, I may just get them painted up and ready for wherever their home may be.

This post is also being shared over at homedigz for the Hump Day Blog Party.


Today {Friday} is the last day to enter our See Jane Work Giveaway. Winner will be announced Saturday, September 19th.

28 comments:

Tammy@InStitches said...

Yes, I think you should do it, they will look great.

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Kathy,
I think those will make great "Ballard Shelves" - good eye! I'm so glad you gave me that link to the Drapery Lady. I ended up reading all about her story and how she got started. I would love to support her business.
Have a good weekend!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I think this is a great idea and lucky you! You have a husband who is handy! I think shelves made out of this and painted black will look great! Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

Creative lady, you are! :-) Can't wait to see them painted! Hope you have a great weekend...

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thanks, Tammy; it's on the project list!

That's great, Dawn! I've met her in person and she is soooo nice.

I'd be lost without him, Lisa! He's even helped me with my projects when I can't seem to figure something out or need that extra hand.

They've only been sitting there like that for 3 months, PK! Can't believe it just hit me that I could use them.

Inspired Comblogulations said...

That would do perfectly. I like the way you think.
Lee

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

love those shelves. so simple, yet so classic. they really pop in black!

Pauline Wiles said...

Great idea, I think you're onto a winner.
Love your round up of other people's shelves too.

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

Can't wait to see how they turn out. Love the photo of the shelves in the kitchen :)

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

Do it!!! They will look great! I loved your comment today and could not agree more. I think that the lack of editing ruins alot of great interiors... IMHO.

Tiaa @ EYInteriors said...

Great idea Kathy! I can't wait to see the finish product!

DesignTies said...

Yes, your little entertainment unit supports will make great chunky black shelves!! Go for it!! And then be sure to post pics when they're all done :-)

Sorry I didn't promote your giveaway on our blog :-( I promise I will next time!!

Kelly

Terry said...

Better than Ballard shelves, and "egg and dart" to boot.

The Stylish House said...

Kathy,
These will look great when you are finished! I'm definately a spray paint kind of gal.
Cathy

blushing rose said...

What time is your DH available ... chuckle! Love your writing, everything is beautiful.

Have a lovely weekend ... TTFN ~Marydon

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thank you, Lee! Sometimes I like the way I think, too! : )

I agree, Naomi ~ simple and classic! I'll bet that's what makes them so appealing to so many.

Thank you, Struggler; I'm looking forward to starting this project.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thank you, Ashley! They're so versatile as you can see from the other bloggers pics; showing how they are being used in 3 different rooms.

@Room Service, I'm definitely going to do it! Actually excited about it, too!

Thanks, Tiaa ~ neither can I!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Pictures going without saying, Kelly. I feel like I'm taking pictures of everything lately! Don't worry about the giveaway; I appreciate the thought.

I'm hoping the egg and dart will still show up nicely once it's painted, Terry. Fingers crossed on that!

Me too, Cathy, now that I found that piece that attached to the can. It makes it so much easier to use.

Thank you for your kind words, Marydon! He's so busy lately, that's why I'm planning so many projects. Enjoy your weekend!

Decor To Adore said...

Mr. Decor and I are in the midst of creating some shelves for the guest room. I have a huge wall and so we made 3 ( odd number rule, etc.) Yet, most of the shelves displayed are in groups of 2. Hmmmm.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

The Ballard's picture shows 3 shelves, but I believe that, in some cases, rules are made to be broken! : ) I'm going to do 2 because that's all I have and I can always do my accessories in 3's. Can't wait to see yours, Laura!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Hello. Nice blog you have here. I love all the photos.

Unknown said...

Goodmorning, I am stopping over from SITS! I love those shelves. I also like your creative thinking. I hope they get made soon : ) Have a lovely Sunday!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Hi Jerri! Thank you! I'm glad you came by to visit.

@ Life with Kaishon ~ Thank you, and thanks for visiting. I'm thinking winter project!

Mary said...

My daughter gets nervous when I head for the paint/spray paint because she knows something is getting reinvented!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I can see that, Mary; my hubby always gets a worried look on his face because he's wondering what I'm going to do.

Susan @ Your home, only better. said...

Your husband must be a saint! Obviously, he trusts your creative instincts!

Thanks for joining the HOMEdigz party today! :)

Susan

Interior IDentities said...

Mary,

Great way to make use of a piece you already have, and to create a unique spin on a popular trend. I really enjoyed being taken along on your creative journey.
I found your blog thanks to the HOMEDigz blog party, and can't wait to see more from you.

Best,
Haleigh

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Of course he does Susan! : )

Thanks for coming to visit, Haleigh! I think this will be a fun project and will keep me busy over the winter months.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...