Friday, May 18, 2012

A Call For Some Sewing

I sewed up something new and it is not home décor related!  I’ve been wanting a cell phone case for my new phone and I haven’t seen anything except “iphone cases”.  Well, I don’t have an iphone; I have a Samsung that is an I don’t know what.  All I know is it slides open so I have a keypad, which makes it much easier for  me to text.  Oh, and I can make the font bigger so I don’t always need my glasses.  I’ve been watching Dawn at The Feathered Nest making her needle books for a little while now. 

needle books

They are so pretty.  They got me to thinking that I could make my own cell phone case and make it just as pretty as Dawn’s needle books.  I went to Hobby Lobby and got this quilted ivory fabric, some lace ruffle and these fasteners.

DSC07553_6601

Here are some pictures of the steps I took to make this cell phone case. 

DSC07555_6603

DSC07556_6604

DSC07557_6605

DSC07561_6607

DSC07564_6610

DSC07563_6609

DSC07566_6612

DSC07569_6614

DSC07570_6615

There was more sewing than I would have liked {hand and machine} and I’m kicking around some ideas to make this easier on myself.  Then I will make some for my Etsy.    Here is the finished one for my cell phone.

DSC07572_6598

The flower ~ the last thing added ~ was the only thing I used fabric glue on.

DSC07574_6600

This took me about an hour to make, but that is too long for one Etsy item, plus keeping it within a reasonable amount of money for the time involved.  So, I’ll be working on the time factor and seeing if I can cut the sewing time down as well.

Linking up with

Share Your Creations at Kristen’s Creations

{Air Your Laundry Friday} at Freckled Laundry

31 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

That is so cute Kathy and a very creative idea! Very pretty, prettiest one I have ever seen.

Okio B Designs said...

So pretty! I'll bet they will do well on Etsy!

J

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Cute!! I have the Droid b/c of the keyboard :) but I'm thinking I may try the iphone . . . . MAYBE LOL

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, love the lace and the design - the flower is a perfect finish. I'm working on pin cushions this week and find that the more of a type I make, the faster it goes. Perhaps your next one(s) will go faster and faster and your Etsy will soon be stocked! Hugs ~ Mary

Amy Chalmers said...

well they are pretty but maybe will be better as gifts if they take too long to make~where are your bed crown panels?? Get sewing those!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Very pretty looking. The flower does add that extra special touch.

Dee

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Super super cute Kathy!!

Sonny G said...

thats so pretty Kathy, what a great idea~!

Our Hopeful Home said...

So pretty and elegant. Love it. (Wish my jewelry pieces only took me an hour to make!)

Tammy@InStitches said...

So cute and we have the same phone !

KimMalk said...

What a pretty case, Kathy! It is so feminine. Maybe you should consider doing a little more non-homedec sewing ;).

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That is so cute--great idea!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Kathy, it's adorable! If I didn't have such a hate/hate relationship with my cell phone, I'd make one. (Hate hearing others' cell phones. So it only makes sense I'd hate my own.)
Brenda

The French Bear said...

That's gorgeous!
Hugs,
Margaret B
xx

DIYbyDesign said...

That is so pretty. I often think about opening at Etsy shop, but most of the things I make seem to take so long that I would have to charge outrageous prices just to make it make sense.

Blondie's Journal said...

Very pretty and feminine, Kathy. You did a great job. I love the lace. I need a case badly, you are right. They only seem to have them for iphones.

XO,
Jane

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

This is very cute Kathy. I think that you will do well selling them in your etsy. I love the ruffle and it's nice to have a phone cover that is different than the mass made ones.

hugs
Sissie

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

That is so pretty, Kathy!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Never have I seen a cell phone case like this darling one you have made.
I always always am in awe of you my dear friend.
Theres nothing you can not do.
Have a wonderful weekend
Love
Maggie

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Those are some great covers!!!...Apple will be stalking you!!...great job!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for this great tutorial, absolutely beautiful and elegant!

Hugs
Charo

Something Special said...

It turned out very sweet. If you are like me. Everyone has an I phone but me, but I can't stand the thought of having to learn how to use one. I love my little cell phone with a key pad and I can text fast on it. I tried to text on my friends Iphone once and well it took me a while. I will stick with my old one for as long as possible.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Great design Kathy. They should be popular sellers.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Very pretty Kathy...love the flower.

Blessings,
Linda

baju muslim murah said...

Thank you for posting this. It’s exactly what I was looking for!

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

Very cute and creative! I know what you mean about how DIY projects can take so long that the "hourly wage" doesn't always make sense for selling your creations. I love to make handmade greeting cards, and friends have suggested that I sell them, but I would end up earning peanuts...so I keep it as a fun hobby :)

Decor To Adore said...

This is such a great idea. I have been admiring Dawn's handy work and saving up my scraps of lace for such a project.

Well done!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Cute! I don't have an iphone either. My husband and daughter do - but mine is like yours. It slides up and has nice big numbers!

thistlewoodfarm said...

Kathy,

That is so cute! I love the ruffles and details on the phone case! Absolutely wonderful!

Thanks for the inspiration.

blessings,
karianne

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Too adorable Kathy!

Unknown said...

Very pretty! Thank you for sharing with air your laundry friday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...