Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Guest Bedroom Side Tables

The two side tables I have in our guest bedroom were originally used in my son’s bedroom at our old house.  They are wood and are sturdy pieces.

DSC07187_6251

The knobs need to be replaced and they need a paint job, not only because they are worn and scratched, but because the pine finish just doesn’t go in our new home.

DSC07186_6250

I decided to go with ASCP French Linen on the base of both and use a gel stain that I can put right over the top {without stripping or sanding} to darken the tops to a nice dark walnut.

DSC07242_6305

I’ve been switching lamps around, too.  This one below was in the sunroom.  I didn’t like it though, so you’ll see at the end that I moved another one in here.  The one with the feather trim matches this room perfectly, but I got that from Home Goods about five years ago. 

DSC07249_6319

DSC07251_6321

More good luck is that the lamp I put in the sunroom {that was in this room} goes so much better in there.  See below. Don’t know why I didn’t move them around sooner!

DSC07254_6324

But, I digress!

DSC07460_6523

Here is the one table with its first coat of gel stain.  I painted the base in the French Linen first.  I’m liking it!  It is still wet here.

DSC07470_6535

I never used gel stain before.  I was thinking I got a bad can because I’m so used to regular stain, which is watery looking.   This stuff looks like chocolate pudding! 

DSC07471_6536

I did three coats of the gel stain on each table top and two coats of the French Linen on the bases.  I waited until the next day to do clear wax on each table ~ top to bottom.  Here are my “new” guest bedroom side tables, before I added much to the tops.

DSC07486_6575

I added fleur knobs that I got in a swap a couple of years ago.   This is the lamp I decided to go with on this side. 

DSC07487_6576

Since I only had four of those I went to Hobby Lobby to see what I could find for the cabinet on the other table.   I couldn’t believe it. I found two  more and they were the last two!

DSC07510_6543

I’m thinking of doing something on the inserts of the cabinet doors. 

DSC07520_6553

I have some wood embellishments and my daughter suggested those.  Another option is a small harlequin pattern.  I’m going to live with them plain for awhile and see what jumps out at me.

DSC07509_6542

Just to give you a reality check, I started this project on a Monday and did the chalk paint first.  I waited until Wednesday to do the stain and then did one coat, waited a full day and did the other two coats. 

DSC07527_6560

I waited several hours for the gel stain to dry good and then waxed them both Wednesday night.  I waited until Friday before I put anything on them ~ hardware included, just so everything could set.  Sometimes projects can seem like they are done so quickly that I just wanted you to know that it can take days to get something done.

DSC07518_6551

I’ll be ordering an upholstered headboard for this room, too, and then I guess I’ll have to make adjustments to my home tour post!

Linking up with

Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch

Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

34 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

Fantastic job Kathy. You gave the a new life. Hope you enjoyed your day.

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Wow Kathy! They turned out incredible...perfectly beautiful! I have been thinking of doing our bedside tables and this has really inspired me! I love the colours you used for this room...it looks so elegant and cozy! Hope your Mother's Day was fabulous! Angie xo

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

OMG, Kathy- I REALLY can't even believe those are the same tables.

WOWZA!!

Well done, lady- really love the new look - perfect for that space!

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Hi Kathy, what a wonderful transformation, they look gorgeous, and I'm loving the color.
Hugs~~~ Daphne

The Feathered Nest said...

GORGEOUS transformation girl!!!! I love seeing stuff like this and you are one of the masters! They really are beautiful...wishing you a wonderful week Kathy, hugs and love, Dawn

Shabby chic Sandy said...

The tables look great..and I love that feathered lamp!

Sonny G said...

They look incredible Kathy.. you did GREAT~!

Lori said...

French linen is the next color I am going to buy. And that gel stain is really cool. I might have to try some of that too. Great job!

DIYbyDesign said...

You really transformed those tables. I love the new color for the top. I have never worked with a gel stain either. It looks awesome. Beautiful job as always. I love that you mentioned how long it actually took...sometimes it feels like people get these jobs done in five minutes when it seems to take days in the real world.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a wonderful difference! So does the gel stain work like regular stain, in that you wipe it on and then wipe off the excess later? Or more like paint?

Okio B Designs said...

Wow! They look like brand new pieces now. And how lucky that you found the last two pieces at HL!

J

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

The tables look wonderful Kathy. Great job!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I love what you did to the table..I love that you stained the top...it looks wonderful and so great in the space!!...

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

Much improved! Love the dark top!

Gail said...

Oh Kathy, they look great! How did you like working with the gel stain? Was it easy to work with? It looks wonderful. I want to order some but wanted to wait and hear if you liked it.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Fabulous job...I love it!! I love gel stain, once you get use to it. I have to be the last person on earth that has not used ASP, I love that you say it does not need a primer...A real plus!

Carol

Unknown said...

Such a great redo! I love the dark stained top too! They are perfectly updated now. Great job!

The Tuscan Home said...

Love it, you did a great job! xo ~Liz

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Wow! An amazing transformation! Lovely! Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Gorgeous makeover, doesn't even look like the same piece! The dark top is just fabulous.
XO
Kristin

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...

The room looks so pretty. I just love the colourway. You did a great job.

Sherry said...

Kathy, if you didn't show the before pic I wouldn't believe it was the same side table. It looks fantastic!

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Beautiful room and beautiful furniture makeover. Love the color choice! I've never used gel stain and you're right, it does look like pudding!

Stitchfork said...

Wow, what a difference you made in those tables!
xo Cathy

Susan Freeman said...

They look so good Kathy! You did a really good job. I am your newest follower.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Our Hopeful Home said...

The room looks fabulous! Great call on the paint color for the tables, and the dark stain on top is a nice touch. Love the fleur de lis knobs! Glad you found the last two!

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Great job, Kathy! Isn't it amazing what a little paint can do?! I absolutely LOVE the end tables and can't wait to see what type of upholstered headboard you get!!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The tables are fabulous. Love the stained top and the linen paint color. Gorgeous. What a lovely guest room. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Erin~Just*Grand said...

I love how those tables turned out. So sophisticated! Visiting from Savvy Southern Style and following you now!

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

What an improvement Kathy! They look so pretty...love the fleur de lis handles to! You always do such a good job. I love your daughters powder room sign also. It turned out so cute! I bet she loves it to!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Wow, I wouldn't know they were the same tables without the pictures. Beautiful job, love the paint color and the stained top.

Pamela said...

Your side tables turned out great Kathy!!

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Kathy, I love how the table turned out! I really want to try the gel stain now. Love your work as always! ~ Jamie

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Kathy. OMG...these are WONDERFUL! I need to get going on painting--you inspire me! And I really appreciate the timeline--that helps a lot! I'm attending the chalk painting demo tomorrow in Springfield. I hope we can meet up! ~Zuni

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...