Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Burlap & Bling

SONY DSC

  Since we have a ceiling fan in our master bedroom {and I know that won’t be coming down any time soon for a chandelier}, I decided to bring some bling in another way.  I decided to change up our lamps a little bit.  This is how they looked before.  This picture is from before the King size bed messed everything up.

SONY DSC

To save money, I painted the bases using chalk paint.  This is CeCe Caldwell Vintage White.  I also applied clear and dark wax to bring out the details.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I picked up two burlap shades at Walmart.  I made sure they would fit properly before I moved onto the next step ~ poking holes in them to add some chandelier crystals that I had left over from a couple of fixtures.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I figured out my placement of the crystals based on how many I had, before I made the holes using a large needle.  Then I just added the crystals!

SONY DSC

I got the shades I was picturing and it only cost me $18.00, which was the cost of the shades.  A whole new look for not a lot of money! 

SONY DSC

I am keeping the old shades {and harps} and would like to figure out how to make a slipcover for it, maybe with dropcloth, with a ruffle.  It would make for a nice change when I feel I need it. I’m thinking of something along the lines of these pictured below from Pinterest {you can check my Sewing Board for them and their sources}.

lampshade.slipcover.2

lampshade.slipcover.3

lampshade.slipcover.4

lampshade.slipcover

This was the second part of what I did in my continuing quest to tweak our master bedroom.  You can see a sneak peek in these pictures of what else I added, but I will show you that, along with a full view picture of the room in my next post.

Linking up with:

Blissful Whites Wednesday at Timewashed

Winter Blues Wednesday at DIY by Design

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

 

26 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
Love the bling you added to the burlap shades. Love the new look you gave the lamp too with the chalk paint and wax.
I'm looking forward to see all your MB changes.

hugs
Sissie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the bling, how fun is that. Hugs, Marty

Okio B Designs said...

Love the bling and the shades! Who knew Walmart was so on trend (with the burlap). =)

Jeanine

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Your blinged out shades look great!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

I love the bling!!! Your lampshades are so pretty.

Patty Marker said...

I love the difference that little change made. What a quick easy fix. I had to laugh at your btw comment about not changing out your ceiling fan in the bedroom. We have been married for 30 years so I would say that puts us in the same age bracket and as pretty as a chandelier would look, we aren't changing ours out anytime soon either.

Olive said...

A little bling never hurts.

Our Hopeful Home said...

It looks great! I also love the idea of "slipcovers" for the shades. Wish I were that handy!

Cynthia said...

Great idea Kathy, love it and the little bit of bling is a great touch!

Cynthia

Gail said...

Oh Kathy, I love the bling you've added! I too love the idea of slipcovers for shades. The ones you have shown are beautiful.

Junkchiccottage said...

Kathy,
This is great. Love the bling added to the shades. It gives them that added extra touch to make the burlap shades pretty. Love this idea.
Kris

Anonymous said...

Kathy, you make the prettiest shades! I'm kicking myself because I just gave all kinds of shades and harps away! You always provide such inspiring ideas! I love your blingy shade!

dee -@ The Old Fat Hen said...

They look lovely-love dee x

Linda said...

with that type of shade could you of used the magnetic crystals? I really like the look of the burlap and crystal.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, love your project with the burlap shades. They look great with a little bling. You are amazing and oh so talented.
Hugs

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Great lamp makeover Kathy…burlap and bling, like denim and diamonds!…love it!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

The paint and new shades really updated the look. I love the bling!

NanaDiana said...

Love your bit of bling. I have two fans upstairs I would love to get rid of and the Mr. needs to be gone for a couple of days for that to happen- lol

Those examples of lamp shades are beautiful! xo Diana

Lady Pamela said...

Very clever. Love your lamp shades. I am looking to fix one up myself. Can't decide what to do. (It has to be easy -lol)
*Smiles*

ornate splendor said...

Oooooh! Love all of these shades! Of course, the one with crystals is the best! Well done! Catherine

Jacqueline said...

What a fun change over on the lamps. The chalk paint was great and the burlap shades with the bling added was brilliant! I didn't even know they made burlap shades. It is so fun to have the casualness of the burlap touched off by the crystals. You did a great job and your bed is gorgeous too!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It's really cute! I also like the the ruffled inspirations.

Karen @ A Stylish Interior said...

Hi Kathy! I love that blingy lampshade and am heading over to check out your Pinterest board. I want to make some shade slipcovers for my daughter's bedroom. Thanks for reminding me of that! LOL!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Very cute! I've always loved shades with ruffled edges. They have some ruffled trim at Hobby Lobby (I'm sure you've see it).

Amber Lyon Ferguson said...

Great idea! Looks wonderful.
Amber

Debbiedoos said...

You are the queen of lampshades my friend. LOVE this burlap one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...