Monday, January 27, 2014

Flower Covered Ball

About a week ago, Melissa over at DaisyMaeBelle shared a post on her Pomander Flower Ball here.  I love how pretty her finished piece looked. I decided to try it myself and picked up four of the red rose bushes at the dollar store.  There are 5 flowers to a bush.  I wound up getting the styrofoam ball at Walmart.

2014 01 23_3527

I clipped the stems with the flowers attached just long enough to stick them into the styrofoam.  The flowers were full enough to cover a good section of styrofoam, but I probably should have gotten another couple of bushes to cover the whole ball. 

SONY DSC

Since I was just putting it in this urn I have, it doesn’t really matter because no one will see the bottom part.  I did remember that I have a few individual roses left over {in my attic} from a Valentine’s Day wreath I did last year.  I will probably just grab those and finish it off.

SONY DSC

Even though it is not totally covered I really like the way it turned out.  For under $10.00 it makes for a pretty and inexpensive way to decorate your home.  This is also something that could be out all year long; not just for Valentine’s Day.

2014 01 23_3530

It was also nice for me because I did this with my 3-year-old granddaughter when she stayed over the other night.  So it is a great project for kids to do, too!

25 comments:

Stitchfork said...

so pretty! And not just for Valentine's Day!
Stay warm!

From the Old InkWell said...

How Sweet for Valentines coming up! I have grandchildren too so I'll have to remember this project for them. It would make a nice gift for them to make for their mother like on Mother's Day, for example. Thanks for your kind words on my new office!

Melissa@daisymaebelle.com said...

Kathy, That looks beautiful! Thanks so much for the shout out! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

It's beautiful Kathy! I love the red flowers. I use to make topiaries for craft shows.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

What a wonderful and frugal way to add St. Valentine's red to your gorgeous home. This is a lovely project and super easy. Thanks for sharing. Love that urn.

Have an awesome week.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

How pretty that is Kathy!

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Kathy. It looks great, especially in the black urn. Amazing what we can do with flowers from the dollar store! And you're right; it's a perfect project to do with our littles! ~Zuni

Gail said...

Beautiful Kathy! I love doing little projects with my grandsons! Stay warm, Gail

Marianne said...

Your flower ball is so cute. Can you shorten the flower stems with regular scissors or do you need something stronger? I'm looking for something to do during my upcoming chemotherapy treatments and I'm thinking maybe making a hanging version of your flower balls might be just the thing. Thanks for the inspiration!

NanaDiana said...

That is really cute. Love how it turned out. Sometimes those simple projects are the best ones of all! xo Diana

This N That said...

Very pretty Kathy..So easy as well..Hope you are warm..Wish we were back in the double digits...Yucky winter..

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, what a great project and yours turned out stunning with the red against the dark urn. Beautiful! I may have to try this one too. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Okio B Designs said...

Very pretty. Love the black and red combo!

Jeanine

Jacqueline said...

This is fabulous! I agree, it is perfect for year round decor. What a pretty idea for multiple table centerpieces, say if you were doing a shower or a wedding. I wouldn't have thought of going to the dollar store for the bushes. Thanks for the great idea.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, this is so pretty! I'm pinning this, so I can give it a try! What a fun thing to make with your granddaughter!

20 North Ora said...

What a pretty pop of color that could be used anywhere anytime of the year!

Judy

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh it's adorable, what a great idea! And so fun to do it with your grand baby!

CArol

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Oh, gosh, Kathy, it's adorable, and just the thing for me to do with the silk hydrangeas lying in a box waiting for inspiration. :)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love those flowers!…I love making those flower balls..I love how you placed it in the urn!…Beautiful!

vivian said...

cant beat red roses for valentines decorating! so pretty!
have a great day Kathy! stay warm!
xoxo
vivian

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hi Kathy,
So pretty! Flower balls are always so lovely and the roses make it so perfect this time of year.

chateau chic said...

So pretty, Kathy, and what a great project to do with kids!
Mary Alice

Debbiedoos said...

So pretty Kathy! I have so many foam balls I can make a ton of these:) Love em!

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Hi, Kathy! Super cute and inexpensive too! I love those kind of projects. I hope your enjoying a warm and safe winter! ~ Jamie

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Very pretty! Those roses are pretty good looking for Dollar Store roses! They look real!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...