Monday, January 20, 2014

Living Room Update

SONY DSC

I was glad to see in the comments last week that I am  not the only one feeling unmotivated at the moment.  I guess it is natural at the beginning of a new year and/or when holiday busyness is over.  When I changed up some of the vignettes on the tables in the living room, my lampshades in here came to my attention {again}.  

SONY DSC

Every so often I think about using a different lampshade on the lamps in this room.  Only this time I decided to do something about them.  Instead of buying new ones I am going to recover them with fabric.  {Yes, another lampshade makeover post!}.  It is a good way for me to use fabric I already have on the shelves in my craft/sewing room, while saving money on a project.

SONY DSC

Plain white lampshades. 

SONY DSC

I have enough black and white fabrics that I had bought to make Christmas stockings this past year.  I decided on ticking, toile, and check fabrics.  My first trifecta of fabric on a lampshade makeover!

SONY DSC

I cut out my pieces {x2 for two lampshades} and glued them on just like when I did this lamp, this lamp, and this lamp.

SONY DSC

I did need to buy some flat trim to finish them off, but I always make sure I use a coupon.

SONY DSC

For the bottoms of these particular shades, I decided to go with a ruffle.  I found this black ruffle at Joann’s and also used a coupon.

SONY DSC

I think it made a big change to the look of these lamps {and the room} for very little money. 

SONY DSC

Here is a side by side.

SONY DSC                       SONY DSC

I’m running out of shades to make over, which I’m sure you will be glad to hear! 

SONY DSC

I have just one more I’m planning on doing and that is a secondary lamp I have in my craft/sewing room.  

Linking up with:

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

Winter Blues Wednesday at DIY by Design

Feathered Nest  Friday at French Country Cottage

34 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

You always make it sound so easy, but I still havn't made a lampshade, need to give that one a try. I love your wall collage and the shades look perfect with it. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

The shade makeover looks great! The perfect added touch.

Stacey said...

Those look fantastic! I adore unique lampshades. They just make everything look prettier to me. I have one in my entry way that needs some TLC. You make it look easy but that's a job that really intimidates me and to buy them....$$$.

Sonny G said...



Creative excellence, as always:)
they look terrific.

DIYbyDesign said...

You did such a great job on the lampshades. It makes a huge difference. You always do such lovely work.

Anonymous said...

I love your lampshades. They look great, and your vignettes look fabulous.

Kathy

Rhonda said...

I just donated a big shade that I totally could have used this idea for! Oh well, not enough time to do everything. Love the idea love your new shades!
Rhonda

Okio B Designs said...

They look so pretty! Ya know your post got me thinking on how few lamps we have in the house. LOL! I think we have two: one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Everything else is a ceiling light.
=)

Jeanine

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Your lamp shade makeovers are always so cute, Kathy.

Ellen, the Bluestocking Belle said...

Pizzazz! If you are running out of shades at your house, feel free to pop over to mine. I have some shades that could use a little makeover.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Great shade. I just love the black and white prints. Truly a great makeover!

Nancy said...

Kathy I really Love how these compliment the wall grouping because of their height. The Solid White cut off the grouping and now it looks lovely with the blend.

Huggs, Nancy

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

I love them, Kathy! The three fabrics are oh, so fine. I have plenty of lampshades when you run out.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, these are so cute! You chose the perfect fabrics for the shades! You amaze me making shades- what an inspiration!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

These are just perfect in your pretty room - I love the black and white (well, that goes without saying!) Great grouping on the wall above your couch, too!

Gypsy Heart said...

They look wonderful! I love the way they coordinate with your other decor. If you feel the need, I'll send you a lamp shade or two to redo. :)

xo
Pat

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Such a transformation, Kathy! I love what you did with them!

Scrap for Joy said...

Your pretty little lamps "frame" your wall arrangement perfectly! Looks great, Kathy! Love the mix of fabrics you used.
I also wanted to say how much I liked the button hearts. The whites are my favorites, too. There are so many interesting shades of white so they're never boring.
Stay warm!
xo
Joyce

Cynthia said...

Kathy, these came out so great. I love the choices of fabric!!

Cynthia

This N That said...

Cute shades Kathy..I was thinking that black would be good in that room..Good job..

must love junk said...

These turned out great! You really made a plain lamp look special!
Susan

NanaDiana said...

Those lampshades are just so darned cute! I love them and if I haven't told you in a while that wall behind your sofa looks phenomenal. That is such a "happy" feeling room! xo Diana

Our Hopeful Home said...

You have a great eye for mixing and matching fabrics! And I love stripes with toile. I'm like you, I could change my lamp shades almost on a daily basis (if it wouldn't drive my husband crazy!)
xoKathleen

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, I just love how your lampshades turned out. Just gorgeous and you know I am a big fan of black and white. The fabric blends are stunning together.Your living room is beautiful.
Have a great week.
hugs

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

They turned out great, Kathy! I love your mix of fabrics.
Have a wonderful week!
Hugs,
Julia

Gail said...

I love your lampshades Kathy and your choice of fabric! I have a few I want to make-over and they are on my "To Do List". Blessings, Gail

Becca Bertotti said...

Love your shade makeovers, Kathy! It really does give them a fun, new look that ties in beautifully with your pillows and fabulous wall gallery!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Your made over lamps are so cute! I love the ruffle trim on the bottom. Going to Joanns on Saturday and I'll be sure to look for some.

You could sell these lampshades in your etsy or your shop. I bet they'd be good sellers!

Tea in the Library said...

Love the lampshade redo. Really kicks it up a notch.

Little Miss Maggie said...

Very cute and I love the ruffled edge. They look like totally different lamps and you have certainly given them a fun personality.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Beautiful! I love your updated lampshades Kathy. They really do make a wonderful statement.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Great lampshade makeover! Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Alicia said...

ME ENCANTAN ESTAS LAMPARAS
HERMOSAS!!
SALUDITOS

ReRe said...

This is the cutest I've seen to date. Now I know what to do with all that toile I have in the closet. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...