Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Button Heart

SONY DSC

I’ve seen pictures of button hearts on Pinterest and since I have a bunch of buttons I decided to make this project for Valentine’s Day.  I had a red frame that I repurposed from a Christmas project I had done last year.  I used a piece of some Osnaberg scrap that I had and cut it to fit the frame, along with a piece of cardboard to attach it to.  I just stapled it along the edges. The staples will be hidden by the lip of the frame.

SONY DSC

I printed out a heart template and penciled it in so that I could just follow the lines.  You can see that here and I’ve also started laying out the buttons.

SONY DSC

Here is the outline with the buttons glued on.  I used small drops of hot glue to glue each button down.  You could leave this as it is with just the outline, but I decided to fill mine in.

SONY DSC

All framed up!  I had to glue another button to the top of the frame itself because the thing I had glued there originally left a bit of a mess.  Otherwise I would have just left the frame alone.

SONY DSC

Here are some of the other button hearts I have seen on Pinterest.  Love the frame on this one!

Vintage Inspired Burlap Button Heart in Rusty Frame

Source: Cloth and Patina Etsy

Beautiful vintage buttons in varying shades of pink.

From my vintage button collection

Source: Pamela Jane’s Studio

Here is one just doing the outline of the heart, on burlap, using red buttons.

button heart art

Source: A Night Owl blog

Love this one! 

Button heart

Source: Ouch Flower blog

Red buttons and red frame really stands out on this one.

button heart

Source: I Really Should Be Sleeping blog

I think I might have to keep my eye out for some red and pink buttons!  For now, I’m liking mine done in whites and creams.

SONY DSC

Linking up with:

Winter Blues Wednesday at DIY by Design

Blissful Whites Wednesday at Timewashed

Be Inspired at Common Ground

All Things Thursday at Posed Perfection

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

30 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love yours, how fabulous is that. Cute, cute, cute. Hugs, Marty

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I have those button projects on my list but never seem to get around to them…I love your button heart…you are getting me motivated to get one done…beautiful Kathy!!!… and love the red frame!

Decor To Adore said...

My heart be still! This is one of my all time favorites you have created!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Oh how sweet Kathy! I love your button project.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love it, what a cute idea! How about that red one, those are some great buttons! Thank you for sharing, I have not seen this before

CArol

Celestina Marie said...

Kathy this is way awesome. I love your project either way is a cute idea and I love the red frame. I would love to try one too.
Thank you for sharing.
hugs

Anonymous said...

Kathy, this is so pretty! I love using buttons in artwork. Thanks for providing all the inspiration too! I need to get busy on one of these!

Sherry at The Rusty Pearl said...

Be still my heart .. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT .

YOUR a ball of creativity my friend . SO blessed to be a follower on your blog. I am heading to hobby lobby

Gail said...

Oh Kathy, love your button heart! I just might have to copy yours. Enjoy your day, Gail

Okio B Designs said...

Very sweet! Would love to tackle something like this for next Valentine's Day.

Jeanine

This N That said...

You can make something out of just about everything..That's a lot of buttons..

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

I like the cream and white too. Isn't it great how all have a different spin on the same idea? Love it!

Laura Turner said...

So now I want to make this, TONIGHT! LOL! Yours turned out beautiful. I would love for you to link up with Inspired Sunday in a few days. Happy New Year!
Laura
www.sundayview.blogspot.com

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

I have seen these and admired them as well, Kathy, and your's is gorgeous! Beautiful job!

Mom E. said...

I love old white and cream buttons AND hearts! a perfect match. and the red frame makes it great for Anytime, not just Valentines day!
hugs,
Betsy

NanaDiana said...

Oh- How cute- I love it. You did a great job. I have a bunch of buttons - I should really do this! xo Diana

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Love it, Kathy! I have a bucket full of buttons- this would make a wee start on using some of them. I'll check to see if there are any red/ pink ones in there. :)

20 North Ora said...

Really love your project - but then, I love anything with buttons.

Judy

White Lace and Promises said...

I like yours the best!

Bonnie

Judy said...

Kathy, do you know that JUST YESTERDAY I was out scavenging for pink buttons?!?!? This very idea had come to me as something I could make my granddaughter for Valentine's Day! Your creativity abounds! Your treasure of the white button heart in the red frame is perfect! BTW, thanks for the tips on how to put a surface together to glue the buttons on and how to fit it in a frame.

Our Hopeful Home said...

Love yours, the frame is kind of reddish, perfect for V-day! The first one from Pinterest, well, I have a ton of those same vintage frames! I place burlap inside them and use them for jewelry display. It works beautifully with my style of vintage jewelry. Haven't gotten around to V-day decorations, not sure that I will this year but I do like this idea.

Nici @ Posed Perfection said...

This is so sweet. I adore button crafts. I'd love for you to link this up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop. I hope you have a wonderful weekend! BTW, I'm your newest GFC and Pinterest follower.
Blessings,
Nici

Salmagundi said...

How wonderful! I wish I was crafty, but I didn't go to kindergarten so glue and I never learned to play together. Sally

Stacey said...

I really like that project. It's simple but romantic and old fashioned.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Your button heart is so cute! Love it! I don't think I have any red buttons either :)

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

So sweet, love your button heart and all the inspiration too!
Blessings,
Cindy

Katie Drane said...

I love your button heart! What a great project:)

Katie
www.funhomethings.com

Olive said...

Well done you.

vivian said...

hmmmm.... now I want to make one!
lol! love them all.
xoxo

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...