Thursday, July 24, 2014

Design Book Library ~ Mary Carol Garrity

SONY DSC

Getting back to my design book library series this week ~ some of you may know these next books by the name “Nell Hill”.  These books are a favorite of mine and they are definitely my “go to” vignette idea books.  I probably pull these three books off my shelves more than any of the others.  The three I have are Christmas at Home, Style at Home, and Feather Your Nest.

SONY DSC

The Christmas one is the least favorite of the three only because I expected more from a Christmas decorating book.  If I had to recommend any of these three it would be Style at Home or Feather Your Nest.  This would be a super long post if I tried to show you an equal amount of pictures from each book, so I’m just going to give you a random sampling. 

SONY DSC

One of the things I really like is that she will show you an area, whether it is a wall or a tabletop decorated three different ways.   Note the picture above and then below the three ways she has decorated the wall (showing one side) as well as the table top.

 

SONY DSC

Here is another table top that has gotten made over three different ways, with the lamp staying the same.

SONY DSC

The pictures share vignettes throughout a home, from the kitchen

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

(Notice how this little terrarium holds silver pieces above and china cups below.  Simple changes that give this terrarium a different look.)

SONY DSC

through the dining room

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

to the living room.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

Even the laundry room!

SONY DSC

And all the rooms in between!

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

And I think you can guess these are from the Christmas book.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

Lots of great ideas and inspiration from these books. Many of these little touches and vignettes you could put together with items you already own or for very little money.

 

15 comments:

Stacey said...

I love her books and have gotten so many ideas. I'd love to visit her store one of these days.

Anonymous said...

I don't have any of her books, but love her blog. I'm so happy you shared these and gave us your opinion. I do love the idea of seeing a table three different ways! I'm going to check these out on Amazon.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I used to have all her books too. Love them!

Tea in the Library said...

Making a note of these books. I like the laundry room vignette - what a great way to make use of an apothecary jar.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I have Feather Your Nest...love it! I'm thinking of ordering Style at Home too.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, I have been a fan of this designer for a long time but I do not have Style at Home and I would love to order it too.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Wow, I love the vignette ideas you shared, Kathy. I especially like the teacups in the terrarium, and that has to be the fanciest scale I have ever seen. Would love to snag one of those.

Debbiedoos said...

These are dreamy books Kathy! Awww..how I love this style too. Such great inspiration for decor and vignettes.

Blondie's Journal said...

Kathy...this is a great post. I have the Christmas book which I won in a giveaway (with her signature !!!!) but I never came away with anything. I would love to have a peek at Feather Your Nest. I do love her vignettes. And she seems so likable! :)

Jane xx

Our Hopeful Home said...

Love that terrarium idea! I have one, but it's packed away. Makes me want to get it out! Loveley vignettes, thanks for sharing.
xo Kathleen

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Thanks for presenting these great room inspirations..got to start ordering some new books..Love Nell Hill...

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

"Style at Home" is one of my favorite books ever, so I can't believe I've never seen the other two! Have I been living in a (stylish) hole???
Going to look for them right away! Thanks for the info!

chateau chic said...

Lovely books...I see why you like them. So much great decorating inspiration!
Mary Alice

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I never heard of this series of books, but I love how she shows 3 different ways to do one vignette. I always need decorating inspiration, and it's fun to see how others do it,

Ivy and Elephants said...

I LOVE those two as well! She has a newer one but not as inspiring as these. Her best work I thinks, I refer to them often.
Hugs,
Patti

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...