I have a second lamp in my craft/sewing room that has been waiting for a makeover for some time now. I finally got to it just in time for this year’s Where Bloggers Create linky party. Here is a picture of the before.
I took the shade off the base and spray painted the base and finial with Heirloom White spray paint. I used my iron to soften the adhesive to remove the eyelash trim from the shade. I will keep this as it may come in handy for another project at some point. Then I removed the fabric from the shade.
I did a quick measurement to see just how long a strip of fabric should be to be able to go from top to bottom and be comfortably tied off at the bottom. My measurement was 25 inches, so I cut and ripped the fabric I was going to use for this shade. I used a bit of script fabric I had left over, a white flour sack towel, and some Osnaberg fabric.
Once I thought I had enough, I got started tying them onto the shade, alternating fabrics to get a good mix of the fabrics. This shade threw me off because it has a wider base than the top, so while the top filled in well with the strips, the bottom portion had gaps.
When I tied on as many as I thought would fit, I glued on a fabric flower with some lace attached to it that I had salvaged from something else.
And ~ I don’t like it. Bummer, because I do like the way they look when I’ve seen others done. So this shade will be getting another redo at some point, once I figure out what. For now, it is back in my craft room while I think it over.