Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Plain Address Book Made Pretty

SONY DSC

I have needed a new address book for a few years now.  It is one of those things that I keep forgetting about, until I have to pull it out to look for an address or phone number, and grab at the loose pieces of paper that are fluttering to the floor.  The pretty ones are just under $20.00, sometimes more.  So I bought this plain one at Big Lots for $3.50 {it’s large print, which I realized after I got it home, but, at this point in my life, it certainly can’t hurt!}. 

SONY DSC

You might remember that back at the end of December, 2012, I updated a plain black 2013 day planner for myself here.   I used a bunch of scrapbook papers that I had and some other embellishments and prettied it up for myself.  I decided to do that again with this address book.

2012 12 18_9805

I used one of the pages I had left from my old Cavallini calendar for the front and back covers of the book.  One image from that calendar was enough to do the front, back and inside front cover. 

SONY DSC

I traced the book on the image and cut.  The calendar page is about the same thickness as a piece of scrapbook paper, so I used the same craft glue tape as the day planner to adhere it.  I cut the front piece with my Victorian cut decorative scissors.  Since I wasn’t planning on doing layers, like I did on the day planner, I though the decorative cut would be interesting.

SONY DSC

I added one of the Tim Holtz label holders I had in my supplies.  I printed out “Address Book” in Wonderland font onto ivory cardstock {which went with the background color of the image paper}.  I hot glued the label plate to the book and then added some bling to the sides where the brads are supposed to go.

SONY DSC

I also did an inside pocket on this, like I did with the day planner, because I know I will have addresses and/or phone numbers on pieces of paper that will sit for a bit before I actually write them in the book.  The pocket will help contain them.  The pocket was some scrap Harlequin scrapbook paper.  The background image is also from the calendar page.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

The back got a piece just centered and cut straight.  It was great to use the whole image to do this book ~ nothing went to waste.  I love when I have everything on hand to complete a project!

SONY DSC

A pretty new address book within an hour!

SONY DSC

Just to give you an idea ~ similar to the last one I was checking out on Amazon. 

This one is $27.76 and, not to take away from it {because it is beautiful}, I just didn’t want to pay that much for an address book.  This is something that basically lives in our junk drawer and is only pulled out every so often, but this is pretty enough to keep out!

SONY DSC

Now I just need to sit down and write all the names, addresses, phone numbers and emails in it!

Linking up with:

Inspire Me Tuesdays at A Stroll Thru Life

Show and Share at Coastal Charm

Sizzle Into Summer at DIY by Design

Treasure Hunt Thurs. at From My Front Porch To Yours

Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

 

14 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

It turned out beautiful!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, this is gorgeous. You did an amazing job altering. I have done these and I can appreciate the process. So much better then a plain address or appt. book.
Love the details and graphics you used.XO

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love it, it looks fabulous. You are so creative.

This N That said...

I need a new address book desperately Kathy. I bought one a couple of years ago and started to transfer the information into it. I never finished it. I really need to sit down and do that. My book is a mess. Yours is lovely. Sure didn't take long to make.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, this is lovely! I love the big print too! You turned this address book into a treasure! I also thought your calendar was perfect too. Your books are so much prettier than the ones in the store and the cost is fantastic! Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I still don't receive notifications to respond.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Beautiful Kathy! I really like the label holder!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This is so pretty, Kathy! I'd love to make some of these for gifts! Thanks for sharing!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

What a great and clever idea Kathy!...the address book is beautiful...a book that you do not want to hide in a drawer!...Love it!

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Hi Kathy, I wouldn't spend so much money on an address book either. Your version turned out just beautiful.

farmhouse-story said...

very pretty, kathy:) makes me want to pull out my papers and make one, too!

Okio B Designs said...

Very pretty! Great idea for a last minute gift. And you're right: the pretty ones are always crazy expensive. This makes more sense.

Jeanine

Our Hopeful Home said...

You did an awesome, beautiful job and it makes me nostalgic (for lack of a better word) for my scrapbooking days. I have enough scrapbooking stash to choke a horse, but haven't done it in a few years. You certainly gace this book an upgrade! (Wish we had Big Lots around here.)
xo Kathleen

sebuş said...

Very pretty!goodbye

Tanya Anurag said...

Good transformation!! looks beautiful.

-Tanya
http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...