Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Patriotic Scrap Fabric Banner

SONY DSC

This project was inspired from a picture I saw on Pinterest, but is my interpretation of it, using what I had on hand to make it.

American Flag With Stars and  Vintage Lace & Ribbon Stripes fun idea for the 4th of July party..:)

{no source/site listed}

This banner above is so pretty and seems to have more decorative trims than scrap fabric, but I had more scrap fabric than decorative trims.  I also didn’t have a fabric with stars, but did have this white fabric with blue polka dots, so I used that.

SONY DSC

I gathered up the scraps that had red and white {and one that had some red, white and blue in it}.  Mine is also a bit wider.  I guess I should have referred to the picture more frequently as I was making it to keep the size in check!

SONY DSC

Lots of cutting and ripping of fabric strips, along with a few pieces of a lace trim I had left over, all sewn onto a neutral colored flat trim.  It was wide enough for me to just stick the cup hooks under my mantle through the trim.

SONY DSC

I’ve got a check, a script, a stripe, and an all-over country styled pattern involved here.  If nothing else, it has made me realize that I need to get {and keep on hand} more lace type trims.  Especially since I have pinned several other projects that call for them that I’d like to try making.

SONY DSC

I won’t call this a “fail”, but I would like to try it again using supplies much closer to those used in the inspiration picture.  I will be on the look-out for some blue fabric with stars, as well as some lace trims!

Linking up with:

Show and Share at Coastal Charm

Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

Sizzle Into Summer at DIY by Design

Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home

Sunday’s Best at My 1929 Charmer 

 

22 comments:

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love it--it looks great! But you are right--I am sure your next one will be even better. Have a great 4th!

Stacey said...

I think it's cute! I never decorate for July 4th but I'm kind of jealous of all the stuff you girls are making. :)

Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In The Woods said...

Such a cute idea!!! Love it, Kathy.

It doesn't seem much like July here today. Clouds & rain in the forecast. Hope your 4th is full of fun!

Hugs,
Lin

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Super Super Cute!! I love it Kathy!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

How clever is this. I love it.

Okio B Designs said...

It's adorable! Love the blue polka dots!

Jeanine

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I think it turned out great. I can't see the inspiration picture on your post.

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Kathy, It's super cute! I love how it turned out. The fabric designs are all so cute. Thanks for stopping by the blog and commenting about Olivia's party. It was a great time! :) ~ Jamie

This N That said...

Love the second one..It's gorgeous..Have a Happy fourth..

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I think it's cute and a great way to recycle fabric scarps. I love decorating for the Fourth. I put my decorations up for Memorial Day and leave them up until right after the fourth. Happy Fourth of July!

Celestina Marie said...

Kathy I love your banner. Really a great project and yours turned out great.
Hugs

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love your interpretation, Kathy. Cute!

Our Hopeful Home said...

Well I think you did great! What a cool idea, I've never seen it before. But you certainly got my wheels turning....hope you have a happy 4th!
xo Kathleen

farmhouse-story said...

this is such a cute idea--what a great way to use up a lot of bits of laces, too! tfs, kathy! happy 4th!

Maria Elena said...

What a great idea. Looks sooo pretty!

Junkchiccottage said...

Love this Kathy. So cute. Happy 4th.
Kris

Unknown said...

I love, love, LOVE this! If I had the time I'd be whipping one up today :) My daughter sent me a pin of men's ties made into a flag like this and it was cute too but I can't seem to find where I pinned the pin. Thank you for sharing Kathy.
Blessings to you,
Patti

chateau chic said...

This is a great project, Kathy! Such a cute idea.
Mary Alice

Natasha in Oz said...

G'Day from Australia! I love your 4th of July decoration and after seeing all the gorgeous patriotic stuff everyone's posting I'm jealous I'm not an American!

Happy 4th and have a great day.

Best wishes,
Natasha in Oz

Aims Pyrex Passion said...

This is such a great idea for scrap material. I really love your mantle and everything on it.

Have The Best Day Ever!
Aim

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That's super cute and unique! I've never seen one like this before. Love it!

Have a wonderful 4th!

The Charm of Home said...

What a cute decoration! I saw that inspiration photo on Pinterest and I loved it too. Great idea! Thank you for linking with Home Sweet Home!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...