Thursday, July 31, 2014

Design Book Library ~ Cottage Style

I’m not going with any designer name in my title this time around because this is a Better Homes and Gardens book and includes many various designers within its pages.  This book is another favorite, as you will see from the pictures.  Lots of eye candy in this book and if you love cottage style, this book is for you!

SONY DSC

This book is a little older than those I’ve shared previously, but I think a lot of the elements used in this book could still be used today.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I think the one thing you can count on with this style is florals.  Florals figure into all these pictures in one way or another.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

Plates as accessories is something also seen quite a bit.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

You’ll also find bits of whimsy involved, too, whether it’s painted floors, painted furniture, pattern mixing, or the decorative accessories themselves.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

And you’ve got to have a porch of some kind.  My favorite would be a screened porch.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

Of course, you can’t forget the ever popular cottage garden!

SONY DSC

This series has been unexpectedly helpful to me as I have come across some books I haven’t pulled out to look at in awhile.  In the coming weeks, I will have some books featured that I will be looking to pass on to more interested individuals {i.e. giveaway time!}.  So stick around and maybe there will be one that interests you that I will be offering up.

21 comments:

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

This style just never really goes OUT of style, does it, Kathy?

And let's face it - there is nothing in the world more awesome (to me, at least) than an English/cottage style garden with white wicker chairs.
Heavenly.

Your giveaway will be quite popular I am sure of it!

Have a fabulous weekend.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Oh, you've inspired me to pull out my old copy of that book. Maybe it's because I'm getting to be an old lady, but some of those rooms appeal to me more today than when I bought the book newly published! That little house with the red dining room appeared in so many magazines back then, I think I have torn out pages of it from 10 different sources. Love this series.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I use to have this book! When I had my booth I sold a lot of my decorator books. Now after seeing this post, I wish I would have kept this one lol.

Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In The Woods said...

Lovely book. I can never get enough of cottage style. :)
Have a happy one, Kathy!
xoxo,
Lin

Okio B Designs said...

I was thinking what @Michele was thinking: these books really do never go out of style. I find myself flipping through old books I have all the time.

Jeanine

Debra said...

I have this book, too. I love it and the cottage style. I agree that it's a classic for your design library. Thanks for reminding me. I see a refresher of my design books in my future!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love looking through all the decor books, and this one looks like it is so fun.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

So many good memories here! I still have all of my old BHG special interests magazines and still pull them out to read through! This is a good walk down memory lane Kathy, and I too still believe these looks are just timeless :)
xo, Andrea

Sonny G said...



oh wow, great photos , so it must be and amazing magazine..

Kathy, I think your post has shown me where my present dilema in this new home resides:) if this new idea works out I'll be sure you get some of the credit. wooohooo I am feeling excited~!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy! Oh, I have this same book. Even though I don't consider my style 'cottage' I do use some of the elements in my decorating. I just can't get rid of this book - I love it. Hope you're doing well and thank you for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

So Pretty!! Have a great weekend Kathy!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This book has always been one of my favorites, too...I love lots of the BHG books. The photos are so lovely and I'm always inspired! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your always sweet comments! xo

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, This is a great design book. I have had it for a few years and love it. It really does have a lot of the current looks for today
decorating.
Great pics from the book.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs

farmhouse-story said...

this was a wonderful book--i bought this one when it first came out, and still love the pages of pretty:)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely book, Kathy! I think cottage design is always in style. This book has so many wonderful ideas!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Ha I have that one too! I bet we have a lot of the same books!

RuthAnne@ mayfairecottage said...

This book is one of my all-time favorites. I never tire of looking through it to get some inspiration. The pictures are so colorful, so nicely composed, and so full that I often find something that I hadn't seen before--kind of like a treasure hunt!

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Hello, Kathy! I love your design book. Looks like books my Mom had and I enjoyed looking through when I was growing up. I hope you and your family are having a wonderful summer. Sorry that I don't stop in more often for a visit. I always enjoy when I do though. ~ Jamie

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Love the book, but then I love everything with BH&G. I love books, there's nothing like turning the pages of a book anticipating what lies on the next page. I also love the design look since I am cottage. I'll be hoping and wishing about a book!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I have had this book for years and love to reference back to it from time to time...a great book!!!

Unknown said...

fabulous book. my uncle has the same book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...