Sunday, March 29, 2015

Craft Room Organizer

The last frontier in my craft room ~ the back of the door.  I thought I had used every inch of space I possibly could in this small storage room that I took over for my craft room when we moved from Long Island to Ohio 3 1/2 years ago.  Well, now I have! 

SONY DSC

I purchased a canvas shoe organizer with 24 pockets (Amazon.com). 

I have loved seeing these pocket organizers, that look like shoe organizers, from fellow bloggers.  You can see these, and a few others, on my Pinterest board, Craft Sewing Rooms.

~ The Feathered Nest ~: Antique lace, vintage buttons and plenty of pockets for treasures!

The Feathered Nest

Hanging sewing organizer

No link to source

a hanging organizer

My Desert Cottage

.

Sweet Remembrance on Flickr

...

Cottage Dreams

shoe organizer

Andrea Tarling on Flickr

I decided to go the lazy way by using the shoe organizer for my base and embellishing it to get the same look as my inspiration pictures above.  I pulled together different trims, laces, napkins, handkerchiefs, fabric scraps, etc., and laid them out on the pockets to see how I wanted them.

SONY DSC

Then I just used hot glue to adhere the different embellishments to the pockets or along the sections of the organizer.

SONY DSC

I will continue to embellish this as time goes on and I find pieces of trim, fabric and lace that I like and think will look pretty on this organizer.

SONY DSC

Meanwhile, for ease of labeling to know what is in each pocket, I used some plain tags I had and an alphabet stamp set for labeling each pocket.  I’ll continue to do that as I decide what I want to put in each pocket.

SONY DSC

I also used some decorative clothes pins I had in my supplies to clip the tags (tied with string) to the pocket. 

SONY DSC

I hope to use this organizer for all those little things I pick up at the craft store that I just don’t have a spot for in the drawers.  Plus, I don’t want them to get lost by me just sticking them in a random drawer. 

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

This will help me to keep things organized.  And in a pretty way!

SONY DSC

Now to get the second half done!  I’ll share this again once I have the whole thing done.

22 comments:

Diane Mars said...

Kathy, That is supper cute and very useful I do still have the back of my Studio door looks like I will be on the lookout to find something like yours, a base to start with... Gotta Love it!

NanaDiana said...

LOVE the first half. That was a really great idea to purchase a premade one and then dress it up. Can't wait to see the whole thing done.

I think you should call it
The Door-The Last Frontier...lol xo Diana

Courtney@Golden Boys and Me said...

Love this so much, Kathy! I love how personal you can make this. Thanks for the inspiration! Can't wait to see it all complete.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

So cute and very clever!!

Anonymous said...

I love your idea, Kathy! You found the perfect one to accessorize too. You turned this into a treasure for storage! I know the second half will be equally as cute!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This is so great, Kathy! I love what you are doing! I realized I have an organizer and a place to hang it...and I sure could use more organization! Thanks so much for the inspiration and for sharing!

Homeroad said...

Kathy this is beautiful... what a great idea! I love that you started out with a store bought one and made it fabulous! :)

robótkowe co nieco said...

piękne! super pomysł! ;-)

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, Love your hanging organizer and the others you share. I have one I made last year and shared in My Creative Space board on pinterest. It was a crocheted style from Ikea.
Yours is a treasure and so useful yet decorative.
Have a great Easter week.
Hugs, CM

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Just love it...amazing what it started out as and how it looks now...looking forward to the other half!

JP said...

Kathy, your organizer is off to a fabulous start....I will be looking forward to seeing it's completion!
JP

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

WELL DONE, Kathy! That looks awesome!

Have a blessed Holy Week and Easter Sunday! Hugs!

Our Hopeful Home said...

Wow, how have I missed these in blogland? What a great, creative idea! I absolutely love what you've done so far and can't wait to see the rest!
xoKathleen

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy! Oh, I love this and what a way to pretty this piece up! You're so good at this and it will be great to see the next part too. Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Maria Elena said...

How beautiful, Kathy! This is a great idea. Love the way you are embellishing it!

Okio B Designs said...

It looks great so far! Such a smart idea. If I didn't have glass doors on my craft room, I'd definitely do this. We have something like that on N's closet door for all of his stuffed animals. =)

J

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

This is a great idea!! Love how you are embellishing yours!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Kathy, What a fabulous and creative idea! LOVE how it is embellished. Who knew a shoe caddy could be so beautiful and useful!

Unknown said...

Oh I love this! Yours is just perfect! And thanks for sharing such a collection of other ideas. This is a very inspiring post. Now if only I had a door...

Hugs
the Glitter Tart

farmhouse-story said...

very cute and so useful, kathy! happy easter!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I never knew a shoe caddy could be that pretty and functional! I love how you decorated your and love how you hang the tags using cloths pins. So very pretty and I will be copying this for my craft room makeover. Have to use every inch of space in a small home!

Laura Turner said...

I LOVE your organizer, and what a great idea to use a premade one! I am going to do this! Can't wait to see yours completed. (And I hope you get to have Spring really soon!)

LAura

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...