Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Make Your Own Spools

SONY DSC

You can make your own spools for storage and crafts.  They are so pretty as either.  Here are two I saw on Pinterest recently.

Altered spool - made from toilet paper roll core  covered in aged paper.

Source

Lace storage spools made from TP rolls. No instructions. From Viola @ Shabby Chic Inspired

Source

It hit me as I was looking at an email from Alpha Stamps on Sunday morning and saw one of their products was a spool. It looked just like two discs and a toilet paper tube.  So that’s what I used to make mine!  I grabbed three discarded toilet paper cardboard tubes and looked around for something that would work for the size of the end caps.  I wound up using the top off of some old candle jars that I repurposed in my craft room.

SONY DSC

The lid turned out to be the perfect size.  So pulling out some cardboard I had in my supplies, I just traced the lid on it and cut them out.  Two for each tube.

SONY DSC

I used Aleene’s Craft Glue and glued a tube down on one disc.  Let that dry and then did the other end.  Once that dries, you are all set to use it however you choose. 

SONY DSC

While the glue was drying, I took that time to wrap some of my crinkled seam binding around some clothes pins to neaten that up a bit, too.

SONY DSC

I decided to use these three spools to wrap lace and trim around.

SONY DSC

In retrospect, if I did want to add some pretty papers to the discs, I think the best time to do that would be prior to gluing on the toilet paper roll tube. 

SONY DSC

Now I need to make some more to corral some of my other trims and laces!

SONY DSC

 

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kathy! I love these and thanks for sharing how easy to make they are. I'm going to start saving my empty toilet paper rolls. I think I'm going to make some. Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Maria Elena said...

Kathy, this is a wonderful idea! I think I will try to make some. I sure could use them. xxx Maria

handmade by amalia said...

This is a great idea - practical and pretty.
Amalia
xo

Okio B Designs said...

I saw that you pinned this and I was like, yup, I'm so doing this! Yours came out great. I have a wrapping paper tube I'm going to use too - after S cuts it into pieces for me.

J

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, love your spools and such a great way to be organized and pretty at the same time.
I have tons of tubes from the dollar store tulle. I'll have to get busy!
Have a great weekend.
Hugs, cm

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Kathy,
So clever and really cute. What a great way to organize. Have a good rest of the week.
Kris

Our Hopeful Home said...

I just had an epiphany! I was thinking I don't need to make these (they're awesome btw)but I do! I can use them for all the bulk chain that I use to make my jewelry! Great job and thanks for the idea!
xoKathleen

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

These are so clever, and super practical too. My kind of project ;).

Enjoy your weekend Kathy!

Людмила said...

Креатив!!!!!!!!!!!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

AWESOME - sheesh you really are in a tidying up mode right now!

You know it'd be cool if you had a way of making a hole in the centers....then you could rope the spools or use a shower curtain rod and hang them for easy grabbin! Wouldn't it be cool to keep them all together with a bunch of rods inside a little closet?

Anonymous said...

Kathy, these are so clever and such a pretty addition to your craft/sewing room! Thanks for sharing such a great idea! have a fantastic weekend!

Unknown said...

Yay! This is incredible amazing! I’m going to make one for my kids! Now I have an idea how to make my room more decorative and elegant! Cheers!

Xoxo
Nancy

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Great idea, Kathy. I have lots of ribbons that would be easier to work with if they were on a spool.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

What a very clever idea!...Hope you had a great weekend!

Createology said...

How very clever of you to make your own spools. I can imagine all sorts of design embellishments for these. And then there are the wonderful gift giving ideas... Thank you for sharing your Creative Bliss Dear...

Tea in the Library said...

Love it. Making it a Pick of the Week! Featuring your blog on my post Victorian drop front desk makeover.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi, hopped over from Eclectic Shorebird. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing the how to's!
hugs,
Jann

Lori said...

What a great idea! I'll be trying this out! TFS.

Unknown said...

Oh, how cute!

TERRI W. said...

That's a really good idea! Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...