Sunday, June 14, 2015

Organizing A Fabric Addict

SONY DSC

Hi, my name is Kathy and I’m a fabric addict. 

There I said it!  There is no more fooling around with “I need to use the fabric that I have before I buy more.”; “ I am not buying anymore fabric until I use what I’ve got!” and, my all time favorite, “I don’t need anymore fabric!”  Who am I kidding?  I am totally tempted by a remnant bin.  Give me a coupon for fabric and I’m putty.  I melt over fabric samples that are big enough to make some cute little thing. It’s time I took ownership of my weakness.

SONY DSC

So now that I admit my fabric fanaticism, I need to figure out a better way to store all this fabric I keep bringing into my small craft/sewing room.  Everything has a place in here and extra fabric that finds it way in upsets the balance of motion.  In other words, I can’t move around this tiny space with all this stuff not in its rightful place!

SONY DSC

I did pretty well keeping what I fit into my two bins neat and organized, but then ~ well ~ I bought more fabric.  That’s when I heard of these

comic book boards.  Yes, they are used to store comic books, but apparently, work well to store fabric and make mini-bolts.  I found these on Amazon and 100 - 6 3/4 x 10 1/2 inch boards were $7.99.  A small price to pay for being able to store more fabric.  They are not very thick cardboard.  You could also use the large warehouse buy cereal boxes, or anything else that has a very sturdy cardboard, to wrap the fabric around.

SONY DSC

So I took out all my fabric and proceeded to wrap them around these boards.  I got the idea here.  This woman has more fabric than I do!

SONY DSC

Once wrapped, I just used a couple of straight pins to hold the fabric in place. 

2015 06 13_6089

I cleared out the bottom shelf of one of my little bookcases and put them there.  I was able to fit all the fabric {with some room to spare} on the one shelf.  Ultimately, I’d like to sell off those pillows taking up the room on the top shelf and move the fabric up.  {Watch for a sale in my Etsy!}

SONY DSC

Now I’ve got some extra room on the wall shelves, since I removed the bins that were holding the fabric.  It will be nice to move some things around.  I won’t show you that part yet because 1) I want to have something new to show at the Where Blogger’s Create party at My Desert Cottage on July 11th and 2) I have no idea what I’m doing yet!  But, at least the fabric is organized!

SONY DSC                        

15 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Great idea Kathy!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a super idea. Your little room is such a fabulous space.

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Kathy,
Genius idea for the fabric storage. That is really clever. Loved your post today it made me smile. Love your fabulous little space.
Kris

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I am like you and have so much fabric, I love fabric and cannot walk in a store without buying more. but my problem lately is I can't see to cut the fabric..I don't know what's going on about this but I can't seem to cut it. I keep thinking, is this the perfect project for this fabric? Maybe I should wait. Crazy I know, I love the idea of the comic book boards, and I'll be using the same for mine.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, this is he best idea! Your fabric is so easy to see now. Your sewing/craft room is so pretty and has always been a favorite space of mine! The fabric cartoon is so cute! Sorry I haven't been able t visit as much. I had surgery on my dominant hand and it is still a bit sore and not typing well. Have a wonderful week!

Nancy said...

Great Idea!! You mentioned the cardboard was light, is it thicker than Cardstock? I need help with my addiction too. Your Sewing room is adorable!

Huggs, Nancy

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

What a great idea Kathy!...Your space is so organized!

DownTheLaneWithDaisy said...

I call myself a fabriholic. I used those boards also and was surprised at how well it worked.

Blondie's Journal said...

I think I understand, Kathy. When anyone has a big love, they collect whatever it is that they need and then organizing becomes a big deal. This is a terrific idea. I think you'll be fine this way. I was having a hard time with my table linens (cloths and runners) and I ended up putting them on hangers in the linen closet and I can not only see them, the rest don't get all bunched up when I want one.

Thanks for the comments on the rainy days. We are in the same boat (Ha!).

Jane x

Maria Elena said...

Oooh! I am in "fabric heaven" just looking at your pictures. LOL Love your idea. I am also a fabric addict. Can NOT help myself. :)

Tea in the Library said...

Great organizational tips. I'll definitely be using these!

Okio B Designs said...

You're hilarious!

Jeanine

handmade by amalia said...

Really, who can resist a nice piece of fabric? Or yarn? Or buttons? Or a few more things? But I always think that if you have a system it's all good. And you are organized!
Amalia
xo

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

GREAT idea!!!!! You are so clever and organized, Kathy!

Hey I drove past your neck of the woods last weekend on my way to Indy.
Did you feel my thoughts of you? : - )

Are you sick of rain and hot hot hot humid weather yet? I sure am. Yuck.

Createology said...

Job well done with organizing your fabrics. I honestly appreciate your love and need of fabrics, for I have the very same gene. There cannot be too much fabrics..E.V.E.R.!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...