Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Plain Tray Becomes A French Beauty

I got this plain wood tray from the day job after the chocolates that were in it were devoured by everyone.   It was destined for the trash.

DSC01101_0785

I thought it would be perfect to use this new label from The Graphics Fairy on it.

DSC01102_0786

While I mulled over what color I wanted to paint it, I decided I wanted to know what this lovely French phrase “Cremones De Fenetre” meant.  I thought it might be from a bakery with the “cremones” and “crossettes” in there.  I also thought it might help me decide on a use for the tray, too.  According to iGoogle, it means “casement window”!  That didn’t help me, but it just goes to show how beautiful words become when they are in French!

DSC01103_0787

At any rate, I decided to use my master bedroom wall color, Martha Stewart’s Milk Pail from Sherwin Williams.  It is a lovely blue gray and I think Heirloom White for the wood embellishment that I will add to the front. 

DSC01105_0789

After the paint dried, I burned the label edges a bit {just to give it an aged look} and applied it with Mod Podge.  I did a couple of layers of Mod Podge on top for protection.  

DSC01104_0788

While I waited for the Mod Podge to dry, I hot glued the painted wood embellishment to the front.

DSC01106_0790

DSC01114_0798

I decided to add these three little pails I got at Goodwill last year and, combined with the tray, have this be my Easter centerpiece.  A little accessorizing . . .

DSC01111_0795

I added some Daffodils to the pails and they fit in the tray perfectly! 

DSC01147_0826

While you can’t see the label in this use, I do love the way it looks.

DSC01150_0829

DSC01149_0828

Sometimes the travail de jour {that’s “day job” in French} comes through!   I liked this project because it cost me nothing and I can basically use it anywhere in the house ~ the bathroom {to hold Q-tips and cottonball containers}, the kitchen, the laundry room {to hold all those things that everyone forgets to take out of their pockets}, even on your dresser to hold your jewelry.   I already had the paint, I printed the graphic off the computer, I had the wood embellishment and the paints and, of course, the rescued tray, which was headed for the garbage.

DSC01109_0793

Linking up with

Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch

Brag Monday at The Graphics Fairy

Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

All Things Inspired at All Things Heart and Home

Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style

Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage

Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous

Kathy

38 comments:

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Tres chic, Kathy! I LOVE it and you can't beat the price!!!!

LOVE it!

xxoo

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh, Kathy--this is gorgeous!!! I love it and I love the plants--so perfect for spring!!!

I thought everyone would laugh about the cleaning thing I wrote--Who has time to clean when we have to craft? LOL

XO
Cindy

One Cheap B*tch said...

Love it! I never would have guessed that's what it meant in French but you are right, everything sounds dreamy in French! I have something in the works with that label too. Okay, it's a pillow but I love your tray with it!

Jeanine

Red Door Home said...

Very cute! Love the color you picked for the tray. It looks like chalk paint in the pictures.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love it. So pretty. I love the little embellishment you added, that is such a great idea. The label is gorgeous even if it doesn't say something wonderful. I agree, anything printed in french just looks fabulous. Love the pales and flowers. Beautiful. Hugs, Marty

Sonny G said...

I think you can make beauty out of anything.. that tray is woooooooonderful...


xoxoxoxoxo
Sonny

The Decorating Diaries said...

I love your tray. Glad it didn't go in the trash!

Janet

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Kathy I love it!! What a great idea and it looks beautiful with the daffodils! Martina

Jane said...

Hi Kathy,
I love that you were able to take a box destined for the trash and turn it into such a fabulous home accessory. Love the color and the label!! Great idea.
Jane

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

You are just so clever. Love the refurbished tray but especially what you did by adding the buckets and daffodils. So fresh and springy!

Karena said...

Kathy I love trays & this one is so terrific for holding spring blossoms!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kathy, The tray is wonderful and I love it with the pails of flowers. Beautiful!
xo,
Sherry

Barbara Jean said...

This is just too simple and sweet!!
Great idea.

blessings
barbara jean

Gail said...

Oh Kathy, what a beautiful tray transformation! I love the daffodils in it. Now who would have thought that's what the label meant in French.

Enjoy your day,
Gail

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

Love it Kathy~ just enough of the label peaking thru, looks perfect!

Tania said...

very pretty indeed!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

The tray turned out just great! Your right, who cares what is says when is sounds so good! Perfect centerpiece for spring/Easter.

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

Beautiful Kathy!! So fresh and Springy and French! The Daffodils are perfect in it!!

Eileen @ Cottage Beach House said...

Very creative. I love the dafs in the silver pails too. It all looks so French and perfect!

The Reading Girl said...

I love this! Great idea--maybe I'll try it! Thanks for sharing :o)

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

So glad you didn't toss that tray! What a fantastic transformation into a beautiful and useful piece. My favorite kind of project !

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Kathy, I LOVE this!! Just perfect! And free?? Can't beat that with a stick!

Lou Cinda

LYNDA QUINTERO-DAVIDS said...

Great idea! Looks beautiful!
But I gotta say ~ LOVE that pink door in your sidebar!! xo

:D Lynda

Miss Kitty said...

Last week I was doing a project that I needed some French words for so I went to Graphics Fairy too and loved this label, just like you. I used the words "Tirants De Porte" from the label on my project (a burlap bottle cover). Someone told me later that it means "pulling door"...it looks more elegant than that though.
Love your tray!

Susie @ Step inside my home said...

What a lovely little tray! You are so creative. I love how you added the silver pails and the daffodils really "pop"! Love it! ~ Susie

Debbiedoos said...

Cool tray Kathy! Now that you got me in the mood for chocolate now:)

Amy Kinser said...

This is a wonderful transformation! Love the way it looks on your table.

Nice to visit with you. Amy

Designs on 47th Street said...

You are good ~~~~~ real good! Now I would have looked at that...thought hummmm, this could be used for something, thrown it to the back of a closet never to be thought of again...sigh...that's me for you... :(

Donna

Amy Chalmers said...

That is a sweet centerpiece. I like the martha stewart paint color too!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Kathy, that looks great. Love the pails with flowers added to it.

Room to Inspire said...

Fabulous tray Kathy! I love the added touches - and to think it was going in the trash!

Chelsea

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

So glad you rescued this beauty from destruction! Great colors and love the label embellishment!

Fishtail Cottage said...

really cute vignette!

KimMalk said...

How pretty--isn't it funny that it reads "casement window," only your closest blog buddies will know ;).

bj said...

Well, it is just the prettiest thing. I love it.
You did a great job and the flowers are just perfect for it.
xo bj

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

YAY!!! You linked your lovely creation to my party. I'm sooo excited to see one of my "oldest" - as in length of time I've known you - blogging buddies linked up! I hope you'll join me each week. ;)

Your little project turned out so cute, Kathy. But of course, it was just another of your many "creative expressions"!

Hugs,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love your blog but do you have daily e-mails?

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thank you, Anonymous! I never thought to add that in, but have now, and it is just under my blog button and email address on the sidebar above. : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...