Monday, June 25, 2012

Fashion Refashion

I very rarely do fashion posts, but before you run away, I think you could take the idea from this sewing project and use it in your home décor projects in some way.  I’ve wanted a ruffled jean skirt for awhile now and haven’t been able to find one.  This fashion refashion started with three skirts from Goodwill.  One short jean skirt, a coral colored floral with two ruffles, and a solid black with one ruffle.

DSC08194_7223

I cut the ruffles off the two skirts, leaving a little extra fabric for attaching to the jean skirt.  I layered each on, starting with the longest ruffle, then did the middle, then the shorter top ruffle.  I just did basic sewing for the first two ruffles and then on the top and final ruffle I did a decorative stitch.

DSC08193_7222

I found this one on my sewing machine and I thought it finished the top off nicely.  It is the one to the far left {looks like a black background}.

DSC08196_7224

Of course, I had to try it on and model it for you!  We don’t have a full length mirror here, so I had to ask hubby to take these shots for me.   I would not wear this top with this skirt.  I just changed into the skirt quick for these pictures.

SONY DSC

Such a great little skirt now!  The jean skirt before the ruffles hit about mid-thigh.  A little more leg than I want to show at 48, so the ruffles gave me the added length, as well as the cuteness.

SONY DSC

So now, think towels, tablecloths, runners, footstools, etc.   You could make so many things with ruffles from clothing, whether it’s something you already own that is ready to be gotten rid of or something from the thrift store.   For less than $5.00 I got a ruffled jean skirt!

SONY DSC

Linking up with

Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

Trash 2 Treasure at Kammy’s Korner

Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence

Air Your Laundry Friday at Freckled Laundry

18 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

How cute Kathy. Looks great on you too.

hugs
Sissie

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Kath,

You are so clever and frugal!

Just look at that cute skirt!

WELL DONE, MA'AM!

Is that you modeling it, too?

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Cute!!

DIYbyDesign said...

Look at you jumping into the world of fashion!! The skirt looks great on you.

Jane said...

Hi Kathy,
Great job on the skirt!! It is very cute and just perfect for a fun summer outfit. I guess I should be looking at the clothes at the thrift stores now too!
Jane

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

It looks great!!! Great legs, Kathy :)

I did something similiar to this on the skirt I had on my other mannequin, only mine was a long white skirt attached to a jean skirt.

xoxo

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Oh how cute! I love the print! I can't believe all this started from three skirts from the GW:)I admire your sewing skills!I like how you modeled in it:)Thanks for sharing with us and for your lovely comment on my garden party. I like the idea of using LED voitves, I think I'm going to buy some for next time. Have a wonderful week!~Poppy

Debra@CommonGround said...

super duper cute, and lookin' good!!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

It looks adorable and you look adorable in it. Great idea. Hugs, Marty

Little Miss Maggie said...

This skirt is so cute and flirty. I love that you were able to transform three discarded items into one that was fabulous.

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Cute skirt! You look great in it!

Okio B Designs said...

Really cute! And look at those sexy legs. =) I'd love to see more fashion DIY pieces on everyone's blogs - I think it's fun and one of my favorite categories on Pinterest.

Jeanine

Stitchfork said...

Creative design Kathy!
xo Cathy

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Very CUTE skirt Kathy!!!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Adorable Kathy!!!

Dee

Olive said...

How cute is that skirt? 48 is great and you have great legs btw.

Unknown said...

I love this skirt! With your legs Kathy, you could go shorter, but this is very lady like! And you are one super lady! Such fun! E

blissfulsewing said...

What a pretty skirt,who wouldn't love it!
www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...