Friday, June 22, 2012

Salvaging A Failure

I wanted to make a little cushion for the chair on that set I redid here for my granddaughter.  I found I had a “mistreatment” valance that I had made for our powder room in our old house that I kept. 

DSC08096_7129

I don’t know what I did ~ whether I sewed the scrap instead of the correct cut piece.  Who knows.  Anyway, this was the size I wound up with and you can see this obviously does not fit the seat properly.

DSC08105_7138

The save comes into play thanks to Lynne from Lynne’s Gifts From The Heart, who just shared a pincushion she redid recently by updating the fabric.  I already had the piece sewed on three sides, so I continued stuffing it and closed it off.  I then used some of the trim that was part of that old valance {to hide the seam I sewed across to close it}, and attached it with hot glue. 

DSC08099_7132

Now I’ve got a second pincushion that I can keep on the other side of my machine as I’m removing straight pins while sewing.

DSC08102_7135

Thanks, Lynne! You helped me to not have yet another piece of fabric to toss on the side and I think this will definitely come in handy. 

DSC08101_7134

And, I still have enough of that valance fabric to try again.  Maybe this time I can get it right! 

25 comments:

charley said...

Hi Kathy~thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a sweet comment regarding my French bench and cushion! Had to hop over and see your blog and what you are up to...I'm gonna spend some time here~ Also your newest follower~
hugs, kathee

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

You are so very clever and frugal!

That is the prettiest pin cushion I have ever seen!!

Sonny G said...

thats the prettiest pin cushion I've ever seen.. looks like a major victory to me.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Great save. I love this idea. The fabric and trim or so pretty. Hugs, Marty

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

It was an intentional mistake so that you could find another purpose later!!

Fabulous!!!

When you have a chance, come see what I SCORED today!! I'm so excited, I cannot contain myself!!!

xoxo

Ivy and Elephants said...

I love the way you made the most of a bad situation. Sometimes the best ideas are conceived that way. You have a real hit there! Fantastic!
We'd love to have you share it with us at our link party.
Hugs,
Patti

Amy Chalmers said...

Very pretty fabric~you will get it right,...mistakes lead to greatness I am convinced!

DIYbyDesign said...

It is a beautiful pin cushion...even if it wasn't your original intent.

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Love that fabric. Good thinking to turn it into something useful. It'd be a shame to waste something so pretty.

Our Hopeful Home said...

I'm sure you will! The pin cushion idea was genius. And it's just about the prettiest pin cushion I've ever seen, that's for sure:)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Now that's using your head! Your pincushion is so pretty! Makes sewing even more pleasurable!!

Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage said...

Oh, Kathy! I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one that occasionally has a project go not quite as planned! Love your fix though. Functional and beautiful... Win Win!!!

And thanks for your lovely comment on my script wall! Gotta love Harry Potter!!!

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Kathy, I love how every detail of your home is beautiful, even down to the pin cushions! You inspire more and more to take up sewing. ~ Jamie

Okio B Designs said...

Nice save! It's great when you can turn a fail into a score!

Jeanine

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

How lovely is this. This material is very pretty.
Have a great weekend
Love ya
Maggie

Pamela said...

I love the little pillow Kathy! That fabric is so pretty!

Always Nesting said...

Beautiful pin cushion. Makes me want to sew. Actually, makes me want to get rid of my tacky old tomato one :) and get a nice one.

Shelly @Crafty Creative Studio said...

Good for you!! Perfect solution. My pug would definitely like to rest her head on it too. Right now it must be feeling extra heavy... I fed her a 2nd dinner without knowing my husband had already fed her. No wonder she did an EXTRA happy dance when I set her bowl down! :)

Jonathan said...

Lovely remake on the pillow!
Hope your granddaughter likes it! :)

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

A very stylish pin cushion came from this. You'll get it right the next time.

Something Special said...

I just love it when I can repurpose something that I forgot I had kept.

Donna, The Decorated House said...

No "mistake" really, now you have the cutest pincushion!

Little Miss Maggie said...

Great save, Kathy. That pin cushion looks like it will really come in handy too. You must have used the scrap by mistake. I've done it a couple times myself.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Very cute! I'd love a nice long pincushion like that! I find that most of mine are too small.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Kathy,

That is the cutest pincushion ever!

Dee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...