Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My New Cart

Now that we’re living in Ohio ~ land of antique fairs and flea markets ~ I knew I would have to get a cart to hold all the goodies I find.  I was looking at fold-up metal ones until I came across this one by chance on the Joann’s website.  Edited: Here is the link in case you can’t find it.

willowcart

A vendor at the Springfield Fair in May was selling one {darker} just like it for $80.00!  With no liner.  This was on sale at the Joann’s website for $23.99!  It’s even less as I write this ~ $15.99! With the liner.  It comes in natural and white. 

DSC08130_7160

Well, it’s going to need a ruffle.  I don’t understand why they couldn’t see that.  Their fabric would not have been my first choice, but hey ~ it’s a liner and until I make my own it will do.   So I went to Joann’s and got the package of pre-ruffled fabric.

DSC08155_7184

Three of them to a package with coordinating colors.  I thought this one went best with the existing liner fabric.

DSC08156_7185

I pinned two of the ruffles to see my placement. 

DSC08165_7194

DSC08167_7196

Since they are all the same size, staggering would be necessary to see all three of them.   With that figured out, I removed the second one and finished pinning the first one on.  Then sewed it on, proceeding on with the second and third ruffles.

DSC08168_7197

I think she’s a heck of a lot cuter now!

DSC08169_7198

For the liner I want to make for it, I think dropcloth may be the perfect material to use and maybe one nice floppy looking ruffle. Plus, I think the dropcloth will be a little stronger than the thin cotton they used on theirs.  

DSC08180_7209

DSC08178_7207

I’m thinking of painting the cart as well.  Laurie from Heaven’s Walk got the same basket and painted hers in ASCP French Linen and that was what I was thinking of using!  Mainly because that is what I have on my shelf.  It was great to see what it looked like before I took the plunge myself.  You can see Laurie’s here.

DSC08181_7210

DSC08171_7200

My thoughts ~ the liner that comes with it is just open to the bottom and is a very thin cotton fabric. The wheel component was a bit difficult to attach {it comes shipped unattached from the cart} because you have to have an arm inside the cart to grab the screw while putting the nut on the outside bottom. Probably better with two people doing this ~ I did it on my own. Finally, it was missing a couple of the nuts, although I had one or two extra washers.  Overall, the phrase “ you get what you pay for” came to mind.

Linking up with

Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

Sizzle Into Summer at DIY by Design

Tutorials Tips and Tidbits at Stone Gable

Shabbilicious Friday at Shabby Art Boutique

Air Your Laundry Friday at Freckled Laundry

31 comments:

Sonny G said...

cute cute cute..have fun with it and make some great new finds at those Flea Markets

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Cute!!! I keep mine in my car. I don't bother to take it out when I get home LOL

I saw several metal ones like mine at the flea last month and thought about buying them, making liners (I'm always being asked about mine) and then selling them but making those liners is a pain, at least for me, LOL

I say go for it, paint it!!!

xoxo

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Kathy,

The cart is now adorable! I love the added ruffles.

Dee

melissa @ daisymaebelle.com said...

That basket is entirely too cute! I know that it will also be great painted French Linen with the drop cloth liner. I only have 4 colors of the Annie Sloan paint, and French Linen is one of them. I am actually headed to Nashville today with a friend to get a new color. I can't decide which color to get? I have a couple of projects that need a little paint. Can't wait to see what this great basket looks like after her second make-over!

Okio B Designs said...

Oh my gosh, so cute! I can see it's going to come in quite handy for the Country Living fair!

Jeanine

Debra@CommonGround said...

great bargain, love that you added that sweet ruffle!!

Amy Chalmers said...

This is the best Kathy~~I love it!~I have to get one...it is simply adorable. And I had no idea you can buy preruffled fabric either!

Little Miss Maggie said...

That is so cute. Now I have to rethink my metal cart that I haven't even bothered to line after 10 years! Don't you think it's about time? I love your cart so much better than mine anyway.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

How cute and I love that you added the ruffle. It is perfect. Sure wish I lived in the land of antique store and sales. This is going to be so handy. Hugs, Marty

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

That's AWESOME and I already love your changes to it!

Michele Smith said...

omg!!! Too cute, I love how you added the ruffle. I have been hunting for a vintage one for MONTHS, with no luck.
Have fun shopping with that baby!

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

I love that basket! Your improvements to it are so cute. I hope you lots and lots of fun filling that basket to the brim with antique treasures! ~ Jamie

Gail said...

Oh NO Kathy! What a fool I am....I bought a vintage one last weekend and paid $85 for it. Oh well live and learn....your basket is adorable. Enjoy your day, Gail

Lorraine said...

That is TOO cute and so useful! I can't find anything on the JoAnn site however...what is it listed under? I could sure use one!
Blessings, Lorraine

Olive said...

Kathy, it is too cute now that it is ruffled up a bit:}

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Kathy,
This little basket cart is so cute.
I have been looking for one that I can afford, so thanks for the link.

Love the way you added the ruffles but I agree if would be really pretty in drop cloth.

hugs
Sissie

Unknown said...

Lovely and what an awesome price. Ruffles make it that much better.

fixitfaerie said...

I bought one of these at Cost Plus at least 5 years ago. I have it in the entry hall and it holds all of the unbrella's. I would like to get another for my parasols (can't have these pretty things getting wet).
I do use mine occasionally when we go on a picnic. I can even stick my beach umbrella into it upside down. I love it and its many uses.

Kelly said...

That cart will certainly come in handy for flea market jaunts. I didn't know Joanne's sold ready made ruffles like that. How cute! I don't sew (other than basic hemming and buttons) so those ready made items are calling my name! I did see Lauries post on her cart makeover and thought she did a great job. I'm sure you will have fun with yours too!

Unknown said...

Cute cute! The ruffles finished it off perfectly. I guess if you wanted a darker one, you could use spray paint. I have used "glossy wood tone" on projects before. You can buy it in the floral dept. at the locl craft store. I'd say that the natural color is just PERFECT though!

Judy said...

Kathy, you always find the neatest stuff at the unlikely places and then make it so darn CUTE!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That is adorable! I love those pre made ruffles!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Oh, love it. I saw something similar in the store, but no wheels. Thanks for the info where you bought it.
Hmm... it is so easy to image you filling that little darling up to the brim! LOL

The Tablescaper said...

It's adorable, with or without the ruffle! What a deal.

- The Tablescaper

Merri Jo said...

I love your blog--I'm new here. Your ruffled liner is creative & SO cute! I thought I knew every item Joann carries, but I have never seen per-ruffled fabric before! A*MA*ZING!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Kathy, Love the basket and the ruffles make it even cuter!

Sue said...

I tried to find it online a couple of weeks ago to no avail!!! Drats... It's $19.99 right now. I had a chance to buy a vintage one for $25 and blew the bucks on something else instead. When will I learn? LOL Your newly added ruffles are adorable. Like I said today, you have the crafting talent. :-) Sue

chateau chic said...

The little ruffles add a nice touch. So cute!
Mary Alice

Heaven's Walk said...

Eeeeek! That turned out soooooo darned cute, Kathy!!!! Seriously!!! Thanks for the sweet shout out, too, girlie! Hey, can you give me the link to purchasing one on-line? I had to call JoAnne's headquarters to get them to mail one to me. Can I order this on-line....? I'd love transform another one! :)

xoxo laurie

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

How adorable!! Definitely needed ruffles.
Thanks for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday :)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Now that is a cart I would be happy to take to the fleas!!!....You struck gold!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...