Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Gardening Container Tip

DSC08158_7187

Since we’ve moved and downsized I have less areas to plant, although the condo we moved into had some good bushes and perennials already in.  We did, however, have an empty spot near the garage door that called out for something.  Keeping in mind that my husband hates any bees, wasps, yellow jacks, anything with a stinger flying around near doors into our home, I decided to go with colorful foliage plants.

DSC08159_7188

I got the urn from Lowe’s as well as the plants you see filling it here.  The only one I’m not sure of the name of is the trailing purple one.  If anyone knows, I’ll edit with the proper name.  The other plants are licorice plant {trailing silver looking plant}, variety of coleus plants {one of my all time favorites}, and dusty miller. 

DSC08160_7189

Not one flower in this pot!  I got the color I wanted and hubby got the “no bees” look.  Just goes to show you can still get color in your pots or beds without flowers.  Plus, as a bonus, it covers the hose spigot.

DSC08161_7190

Linking up with

Tutorial, Tips and Tidbits at Stone Gable

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Morning! So very hot in Ohio already! I am so glad I back tracked to see that the Where Women Create is coming soon. I love that day! I have to tell you I was looking through past July/Aug ME books and came across the most elegant article that seemed as though the photographers had come into your bedroom right down to the colors, crown over bed, and blue dressers! Amazing! Loved your organizational tips. Do I recall your craft room used to be in your garage. Can't wait to see the new one! Have a lovely weekend! Elizabeth

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Hi, Kathy! I love how you achieved all the color with just foliage. It's beautiful! I used to know the name of the purple trailer and I've been trying to remember but no such luck!

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

Very pretty combination of plants! Love the urn, too! :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Fabulous idea and it looks amazing. Hugs, Marty

Deserae said...

Looks beautiful....love the urn too!
~Des

Brenda Pruitt said...

It looks so pretty there! And it is lush. You did a good job picking plants to combine. I thought your mystery plant was one I had, but upon closer scrutiny, see that the leaves are rounder.
Brenda

Little Miss Maggie said...

That trailing plant is beautiful and your colors are great. Coleus is one of my faves.

Karen said...

Your planter looks gorgeous. I love the colors and varieties of coleus too. You sure came up with a beautiful compromise.

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Hi Kathy, beautiful plants and urn.... love !
them both
Hugs~~~ Daphne

Lilah said...

Beautifully done. I love the selection of plants you used - they compliment each other very well.
http://www.genericseeds.com

Gail said...

Your urn looks beautiful Kathy! I really like the "no bee" planting. You did great!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Gail

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Beautiful pot of plants. I love urns and what you chose works beautifully. I can't see the hose spigot....LOL

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

What a beautiful urn with foliage! I chuckled when you said "no bees". I don't like the stingers either.

NanaDiana said...

Wow- THAT is a LOT of color for not having flowers. It looks beautiful!
I'm wondering if this is the plant-
BOTANICAL NAME
Tradescantia zebrina, syn. Zebrina pendula
(trad-es-KAN-shee-a ze-BRY-na)
COMMON NAMES
Wandering Jew, Inch plant?

Hope you had a great day- xo Diana

Unknown said...

Love the urn... it is so pretty. I am terrible at putting together flowers or plants but yours is gorgeous.

Cynthia

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Kathy, What a creative and pretty solution to the no bee issue! I love the colors of the foliage! Thanks for joining TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

What a lovely cement urn and the flowers are perfect in it. What a show!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...