Friday, July 5, 2013

Dish Aficionados –Your Assistance Please

Two posts in one day! I need your help though.  I brought a few things to my booth today and did a quick walk around looking for a set of dishes for my daughter.  She’s been looking for a nice set and I told her I would buy them as her anniversary gift if she found one for under $100.00.   Well, I came upon a really pretty set, service for 8, for $48.00.  Since she’s in New York right now, I texted her with a picture and asked if she liked them.  They got the thumbs up and I got them.

SONY DSC

The picture above is just a sampling.  The majority of the dishes are in pretty good condition.  A few of them have these darker stains{?} on them.  The dishes must be hand washed with that gold trim. They are Limoges.

2013 07 05_1864

2013 07 05_1865

Some of the dishes have it darker than this plate, but I’m hoping you get the idea of what I’m talking about from this plate.

2013 07 05_1866

Where I need help is finding out a good way to wash them to try and get that stain off.  I know I’ve read previously on blogs that there are tips for doing this but I am at a loss and you can help me save time doing an extensive search for the “how-to”.  So any help or tips you can offer would be much appreciated.  I figure since I have to be over there a few times a day, on a daily basis to take care of the dog, I could wash these up for her.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

15 comments:

Pam said...

That is called crazing. You can try oxygen bleach not regular bleach which will make the crazing worse. Let the item soak in the oxy bleach and hot water for a couple of hours then wash. If that does not work you can soak the items in hydrogen peroxide, the kind used to bleach hair. Let it soak overnight then place in cool oven and bring up to 200 degrees for 1 hour. Let dish cool down then wash in soapy water. Hope this helps let us know.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh, this is simple, Kathy.

That is called "crazing."

Get a plastic tub with a lid. Then go to a beauty supply store and buy the largest SALON GRADE hydrogen peroxide and soak the dish. It takes about 3 weeks but will come out stain free, usually.

Sometimes it takes longer, and sometimes it takes a fresh batch of peroxide.

Crazing happens when dishes are stored in super hot attics and garages, etc.

Hope that helps.

Hugs,

Michele/Finch Rest

Thecreativeme23 said...

I use Bar Keeper's Friend on my white dishes - it helps to keep them white and the cracks in the glazing less noticeable - you may have to be careful on the flowers though

Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I would try to google for a suggestion! I heard, bleach, but from the other comments, guess that isn't right!
You are a good Mom!
Warmly,
deb

Kelly said...

I agree with one of the comments you've already received about using Bar Keepers Friend. I have some of that and it is good to get marks off of white dishes. It is safe on dishes too. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Bar Keeper's Friend is what I have read about. I have used this method and it worked well. I used it on creamware just the other day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy! Oh, the dishes are so very pretty! I heard of soaking dishes in some vinegar. I don't know if that works but it won't hurt the dishes.
Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

Maybe try one of those magic erasers, they work on alot of things,
lauren ,
good luck

NanaDiana said...

This is a method I have used that works on most things. Fill your sink with the hottest water you can (or close to boiling) Add 2 cups Cascade (or any cheap old dishwasher granules) and 2 cups of bleach. Mix this until dissolved. I use a whisk. Put dishes in and let them soak until the water cools. If they are still stained you can do it a second time. This will usually work. Good luck- xo Diana

MONSIEUR LE CHAT ET MOI said...

hydrogen peroxyde works better if you had baking soda and leave it inside the plate as long as the problem is not soved. Bleach can work also, but not really good for health.
Happy to be your newest French follower (LE CHEMIN DU BONHEUR)
xoxo from PARIS
Joëlle

Betty said...

http://www.worthpoint.com/blog-entry/how-remove-stains-your-antique-china-pottery-and-porcelain

It is funny, but I have been keeping this post I found a few months ago for my dishes. I hope it helps you.

Debbiedoos said...

I know that is called crazing, and my Grandmother had those very same dishes. Not sure how to clean them though. Hope you figure it out...they are beautiful!

This N That said...

It is grazing and it also happens when dishes are put in the dishwasher..You may be able to get the discoloration out but probably not the "cracks"..

This N That said...

I think I wrote "grazing"..Instead of crazing..sorry

Judy said...

Kathy, those "stains" are actually call "crazing" in the paint of your dishes. I have purchased a couple of pitchers in the past that had quite a bit of crazing. I used the beauty supply peroxide on one of them and it worked pretty well, but I had a hard time with an after smell. The booth owner of the other pitcher I bought cautioned me again the peroxide method as it would lighten the painted flower of the pitcher. She also cautioned me against using the pitcher to hold beverages. I asked her why and she said she had always been told that by other vendors, she really didn't know "why". Fortunately, I only intended to use the pitcher as a decorative piece so I went ahead and bought it. That might be something you want to check on...I don't know if it is dangerous or what. Just a little FYI. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...