Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Laundry Room Counter Skirt

I gave a hint in my last laundry room post about an update I was adding to the new counter top.  Just a reminder, here is the new countertop and the post showing the before is here.  If you guessed a skirt you were right!

SONY DSC

I wanted to hide the laundry cart and make this area look a little prettier.  I’ve always liked skirted tables, counters, etc., so knew I would incorporate that in here somehow. I decided to use drop cloth.  I picked some up at Lowe’s.  This particular one is soft feeling to begin with, but I did wash it anyway.  It was $5.98 for a 4 ft. x 5 ft. drop cloth.  I bought two because I can use the left over drop cloth for other projects.

SONY DSC

I decided to use a tension rod so I could easily remove it if needed.  I cut the drop cloth to size (from the floor to the clip of the clip ring) and added a ruffle to the top.  Then used clip rings to hang it from the tension rod.  I already had the tension rod and clip rings so I saved some money there.

SONY DSC

I cut the drop cloth so that one of the finished edges would be the bottom and measured up from the floor to the clip ring which gave me 32 1/2 inches (I added a half inch for the seam allowance in adding the ruffle so cut it at 33 inches).

SONY DSC

I used about 15 inches in width from a second drop cloth to give me the width I was looking for (about 66 inches wide).  The opening is 33 inches wide.  The ruffle was cut with a 6 1/2 inch drop and this piece also had the finished edge that came already sewn on the drop cloth.  I made that the bottom.  I cut the full width of both drop cloths with the 6 1/2 inch drop, and gave myself 112 inches of fabric to make the ruffle (sewing the two pieces together first for that extra long piece).

SONY DSC

I attached the ruffle to the wrong side and then flipped it over to the showing side.  This gave it a finished look to the top.  I did pin it first to make sure this was going to turn out correctly. Better to take the time to make sure than have to rip stitching out!   I ruffle as I sew, which works for me. 

SONY DSC

Now I have a pretty way to hide the cart holding the dirty laundry, yet it is still easily accessible. 

SONY DSC

You can make a project like this easier on yourself if you can take advantage of the finished (sewn) edges already on the drop cloth.  I did with the bottom of the skirt, the bottom of the ruffle, and the two sides.

SONY DSC

I’m loving the flirty ruffle and the sturdiness of the drop cloth fabric! 

*If you have any questions about how I made this, you’re better off sending me an email directly (kpassarette(at)yahoo(dot)com) rather than asking in comments.  I don’t always get the comments in my email because of whatever has been up with Blogger for the past six months and so I can’t reply. 

Linking up with:

Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

Show and Share at Coastal Charm

Sizzle Into Summer at DIY by Design

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

Sundays Best at My 1929 Charmer

26 comments:

vivian said...

love your laundry room! And, using the drop cloth was a great idea. Very nice!
happy tuesday!
xoxo
vivian

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

What a pretty laundry room! I think adding a bit of fabric makes every room seem more charming, and it's certainly true here! Love it Kathy!
xo, Andrea

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That turned out wonderful! Drop cloths are so great. Love the ruffle you added.

BECKY said...

Hey Kathy!
Your laundry room is delightful! Just adore the curtain, and could definitely do laundry with a smile in there! Mine sooo needs an update!

Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Becky

farmhouse-story said...

love it! and your laundry room!

Unknown said...

I love the ruffled skirt you made Kathy, it looks so pretty in your laundry room. What a great idea to use a drop cloth!

Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In The Woods said...

It came out great, Kathy! I LOVE it!
xoxo,
Lin

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love this piece, it looks amazing. Great tutorial too. Your laundry room is wonderful.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Kathy - looks fantastic. You did a wonderful job. Well done, ma'am - what a huge difference it makes!

Miss Dishywoo said...

This is lovely. More good inspiration for using drop cloths. It really finishes your laundry room to look neat and clean.

Richella Parham said...

It looks great, Kathy! So smart to use a drop cloth and a tension rod!!

Anonymous said...

Kathy, you have such a pretty laundry room! I adore the ruffled skirt that you added over your hamper! You always add just the right touch! I wouldn't mind doing laundry a bit in your charming laundry room!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

I love it, Kathy. Great idea to use clips- makes it much easier to slide to the side to access the hamper. And you know how much I love to use drop cloths. :)

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, your counter skirt turned out great. I love that you used a pressure rod, something that I could not when I did my counter skirt in my laundry. It looks wonderful and using the drop cloth fabric saved so much money. Love the added ruffle. What a great laundry room. It is so pretty and I am sure makes doing laundry so much better.
Love your tile too and that this rooms goes right into your studio.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Okio B Designs said...

Looks great! I love that style/look.

Jeanine

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Well, I'm loving it too. Really adds some more charm to the room while hiding something. The majority of my curtains are hung on tension rods. I love it, I can move the height around, down early in AM and then up when the south sun is blasting through to keep heat out. A very stylish looking laundry room....mine is a dungeon.

Unknown said...

Love your Laundry Room, the "skirt" is the perfect touch!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love the "skirt"....you always do such a fantastic job with every sewing project...the laundry room is beautiful !!

Unknown said...

This looks adorable!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Love the ruffled skirt. The perfect addition to your lovely laundry room. I'm sure you're loving the new counter top as well. So much more functional working space.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

LOVE IT Kathy...it's the perfect finishing touch!!

Cynthia said...

Love the skirt, it adds so much to the room. To be able to sew, may in my dreams, LOL.

Cindy

Robin Johnson said...

What a great way to give your space a finished look!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Love it! It looks totally cute and is a great way to hide something you don't want everyone to see!

JoAnne said...

It's perfect, Kathy. I have always loved that look too. I'm going to have to find a place in my home that needs a pretty skirt!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Gorgeous laundry room and this latest addition is so attractive :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...