Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Easy Pillow Update

SONY DSC

Looking to give some kind of jump start to the creativity battery in my head, I found a very easy sewing project on Pinterest that gives immediate satisfaction.  Kristy from Starfish Cottage did this as her first sewing project and I just think the idea of it is genius!  I decided to do this pillow wrap or sleeve on a black and white pillow I have on our living room sofa.  This is its everyday look.

SONY DSC

I just used some scrap Osnaberg I had and measured it around the pillow for length and width.  Since I decided to do a Halloween one first, I ironed on the image {from Confessions of a Plate Addict} first.  

SONY DSC

Then I sewed the side seams and added the orange pleated ribbon trim.

SONY DSC

I then wrapped it around the pillow the wrong way round and pinned the opening ends together, then slid it off the pillow.  I sewed that closed, turned it right side out, and then just put it back on the pillow!

SONY DSC

Done! It took me maybe an hour, because I had to reload my bobbin and I changed out to black thread to add some contrast on the ribbon.

SONY DSC

You could do this for your pillows using patterned fabrics to reflect the seasons/holidays {like Kristy did} or use iron-on images on a plain fabric, like I did here.  I think it’s a great idea and plan on doing more!

SONY DSC

Linking up with

Inspire Me Tuesdays at A Stroll Thru Life

Show and Share at Coastal Charm

Sizzle Into Summer at DIY by Design

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

 

20 comments:

vivian said...

I likey! I just bought some orange burlap at Joanns to make some halloween pillows. (like I need one more halloween thing for my house! yikes!! ) lol!
very cute Kathy!
have a great day!
xoxo
vivian

DIYbyDesign said...

Love it. Super cute.

Betty said...

This is so clever and it looks great.

Maria Elena said...

What a beautiful idea! Love, love your new pillow. Had to pin it! :) Maria

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That is a great idea! I always hated to buy holiday specific pillows, but this is great because you can just tuck away the sleeve.

Our Hopeful Home said...

Now this is genius! Love your color combo for Halloween. I really had never thought of doing this, now I'm sure it'll stick with me until I try it myself! I love pillows, so this should save some money, too!
xo Kathleen

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love this idea, how fun. You are always so creative.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This is so cute, Kathy! I can just imagine all of the fun ways to re-do a pillow throughout the year...genius!

Sonny G said...



you do the best and cutest Halloween of anyone I know..
I'd wonder why, if I didnt already know Why:)
you are a scorpio and it shows in all you do at that particular holiday.
looking forward to all your BOO posts..
hugs
Sonny

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, I love your pillow and the wrap is perfect. Some time ago I did something similar with a lace panel over a pillow. Great way to change seasonal decorating.
It looks great on your sofa.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Anonymous said...

This is adorable! What a great idea! I have such trouble storing all the seasonal pillows- you just solved my problem! Your pillow is a great seasonal accent for your sofa!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

What a cute idea, Kathy! The possiblities are endless!

Blondie's Journal said...

Kathy,

This is such a cool idea and I think I might be able to manage it without a sewing machine. Maybe wrap some fabric around a pillow and use Velcro. Most of my pillows are solid...I just can't seem to find ones that go with my color schemes.

Thanks for stopping by. I found some edging you can push down in the ground to keep the grass and weeds out. It's brown (not so noticeable as the black stuff) and it can be bent to do curves. Even if I choose to do flagstone, this will help contain things. I'm so excited to see things fill in over time!!

Jane xx

Okio B Designs said...

Looooooooooooooove it! Such a smart idea and yours came out great!

Jeanine

Cynthia said...

Super cute pillow!!

Cindy

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Cute, cute, cute- what a great idea, Kathy. Gotta' keep this in mind when I can get back to sewing/crafting. :)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That is a genius idea and so cute! I'm going to have to give that a try after we move.

Debbiedoos said...

YAY! You know I love this Kathy. Talk about jump start my house is almost all fallified! I love Fall and I love your pillow.

Createology said...

Great way to update/change the look for next to nothing in time and expense. Creative Boo Bliss...

Donna Heber said...

Kathy,

This is such a creative way to change out your pillows for the seasons. One thing I wish I had learned is how to sew. Your boo pillow is fantastic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...